Author Topic: Would you rewire this?  (Read 3602 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Would you rewire this?
« on: 11 March, 2016, 12:48:56 am »
David found this lamp abandoned/dumped in our front hedge this morning.

It is rather nice but probably not quite legal in the UK.
It is not earthed and has a continental two pin plug.

The three light fittings take ES lamps and work OK.
There's a floor switch.

There's lots of SHINY metal.

I am reluctant to throw this out but don't know how risky this toy would be in reality...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Would you rewire this?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2016, 12:51:29 am »
Rewiring it with three-core flex and adding an earth would seem eminently sensible if you want to keep it...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:07:13 am »
Suppose so. We'll have to think of a way to incorporate the switch.

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:29:39 am »
Keeping the floor switch ought to be simple enough, or adding a toggle switch to the mounting bar for each luminaire would look in keeping, give more flexibility about light levels, and shouldn't be too gruesome to actually achieve. (Don't forget that line is meant to go to the centre terminal of the ES fittings, for a bit more protection against finger gepoken.)

That said, even if you don't rewire it, you probably won't die: it was probably legal to sell it wherever it came from, and they probably don't kill that many more people in electrical accidents than we do.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:38:38 am »
That was my thinking! Wiring and fittings in some French places we have stayed have been 'interesting'!

We have put a dud bulb in one luminaire we wish to keep unlit to prevent fingerpoken.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:57:49 am »
Rewiring it with three-core flex and adding an earth would seem eminently sensible if you want to keep it...

That was my thought. Years ago I rewired an antique lamp I shipped from the US - stripped out the two-core cable and replaced it with three-core earthed cable and just found a suitable spot to secure the earth cable.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2016, 06:23:58 am »
Make sure that the live wire is the one that goes through the switch, and the one that goes to the centres of the ES fittings.

(If you needed to be told that the neutral goes to the outer of the ES, and the earth to the metalwork, you should get someone else to do the rewiring)

This switch http://www.lampspares.co.uk/in-line-black-foot-switch-for-standard-lamps?gclid=CJra987-t8sCFZcy0wodiD4Fxw would take a suitable cable and allows for earths and neutrals from the in and out cables to be linked, without messing around trying to strip cable in the middle.

Using a black switch with white cable, as the photos show, is a design faux-pas, IMVHO.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2016, 08:27:09 am »
2-core wired lamps aren't that unusual, surely? As long as the fittings are of suitable quality and insulated then it should be safe.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2016, 08:41:02 am »
Aren't all lamps in Foreignlandia like this? I've not died yet, though needless to say, Johnny Foreigner makes a damnably strange bedfellow.

My dad taught me that plugs were a decadence, he'd strip the wires and insert direct, using a screwdriver jammed into the earth socket. Plugs are for Euro-sissies. And my mum.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:26:29 am »
2-core wired lamps aren't that unusual, surely? As long as the fittings are of suitable quality and insulated then it should be safe.
Yes, it should be safe.

However, given the provenance of the lamp, and the fact that it is made out of metal, adding an earth wire is an easy way to be confident that it is safe.

The alternative is a detailed look at clearances, quality of insulation, potential contact points etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2016, 12:54:04 pm »
The alternative is a detailed look at clearances, quality of insulation, potential contact points etc.

Or retrofit it for low-voltage LED lamps, would be my other thought...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:31:09 pm »
We are going to be using LEDs cos heat anyway.
David has just unearthed a BIG spool of BLACK 3 core 3 amp flex from ye shedde the garage and is investigating/playing/doing things.

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:32:41 pm »
A thread of fettlage with images is required please.    :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2016, 02:04:14 pm »
Have decided to do NOTHING and take the risk.
It's really pretty well-made (with CE markings inside each lamp fitting natch!)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #14 on: 11 March, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »

I heard that CE stands for Chinese Emporium.

Ironically, it was a CE tester who said that...
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2016, 08:18:10 pm »
Have decided to do NOTHING and take the risk.
It's really pretty well-made (with CE markings inside each lamp fitting natch!)
Can I suggest that you fit the plug into one of these:-

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-connector-adapters-converters/7839555/

and make sure that the live wire is the one that is switched. Remove, turn over and replace the euro plug in the adaptor if it is wrong.

Alternatively, cut off the plug and fit a 13 A plug (with a 3 A or lower fuse) and again check that the live is switched.

« Reply #16 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »
Sorry but no. Ugly item and dangerous electrically too... Skip job.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:30:54 pm »
Hardly anyone is electrocuted in the home, as a 240V shock (I've had a couple) s usually unpleasant rather than lethal, and a decent earth largely removes the risk associated with the shiny metal, since the fuse or circuit breaker will trip should it become live.  Electrical safety is really about fire prevention, since an improperly tightened connection, or an overloaded circuit, gets very hot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »
Sorry but no. Ugly item and dangerous electrically too... Skip job.

PH

Probably technically Double insulated as it's likely that everything in contact with power has plastic around it, quite a lot of light fittings I've noticed these days have no earth wire owing to their being nowhere to attach one, and also a hifi amp I bought in currys.

Doubt it's dangerous, other countries have regulations for electrical items too, it's not just jungles and savages out there.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
Electrical safety is really about fire prevention, since an improperly tightened connection, or an overloaded circuit, gets very hot.

Has anyone wiggled their meter tails recently?  No, I didn't think so.  Meter man was almost as alarmed as I was when it came away in his hand.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:17:10 pm »
<fnaar>helly found a lamp in her front hedge</fnaar>
It is simpler than it looks.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #21 on: 12 March, 2016, 12:24:06 am »
Has anyone wiggled their meter tails recently?  No, I didn't think so.  Meter man was almost as alarmed as I was when it came away in his hand.

No, but I was most surprised to find a low voltage feed coming out of my fuse box recently, to power the butlers bell. The electrician must have removed the transformer that used to be in the cupboard, when the fuse box was replaced. 10 years ago. That's what happens if you "tidy up" the cupboard under the stairs, you notice things.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 12 March, 2016, 12:36:24 am »
I've survived a couple of 240v shocks, but the next one could kill me if my other hand or feet happen  to be somewhat earthed as I touch something live.  It only takes tens of mA.

CE labels are often fakes.  I'd at least have a closer butcher's to see if the lamp deserves a CE label.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:19:56 am »
I was mildly surprised to find my travel kettle didn't have an earth when I came to fit it with a USAnian plug last year.  Of course feeble Leftpondian electricity can scarcely boil water, never mind actually kill someone utterly to DETH.  It's no wonder they phased out Ol' Sparky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 12 March, 2016, 12:26:21 pm »

No, but I was most surprised to find a low voltage feed coming out of my fuse box recently, to power the butlers bell. The electrician must have removed the transformer that used to be in the cupboard, when the fuse box was replaced. 10 years ago. That's what happens if you "tidy up" the cupboard under the stairs, you notice things.

Keep digging, you might find the butler.