Author Topic: Raw mud flaps  (Read 5434 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
Raw mud flaps
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:31:36 pm »
These look pretty neat IMO. They're made of some kind of artificial rubber material in a variety of colours. All colours have a two white reflective lines at the bottom. Not the most highly reflective but ok. They come in a matched pair, the rear being long and narrow and the front wider. Comparing the front flap to the SKS one that was on my chromoplastic mudguards, it's not quite so wide but is significantly longer and hangs straight down rather than sticking out. This has effectively eliminated toe overlap for me! The material is stiff enough to keep shape while riding but flexible enough to bend rather than snap if they get caught on any solid object, for instance when hanging your bike in a dangly train space.

It hasn't actually rained since I've had them(!) but they certainly seem to keep the bottom bracket area cleaner through puddles and on gritty roads.

They cost £12 a pair on ebay, which is a waste of money if you'd otherwise make your own from offcuts of damp proof course or an old milk bottle, or a bargain if compared to the £16 they sell for at Condor.

http://rawmudflap.uk
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: Raw mud flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:51:21 pm »
A fellow club member who got so many requests for them in the club that he went in to business!  :thumbsup:
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:31:24 am »
On closer comparison, the front is actually a smidgenette wider than the SKS rubbery thing: about 1mm.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:44:01 am »
I like the fact he makes pink ones. Might have to get some  :D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:31:03 pm »
Mine only cost about £1.50 and come with 2 litres of free milk.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:31 pm »
Good. I need some mudflaps. Last one I made was from a beer can, it took a while to make it then it fell off after a few days. Then the next day I found it in the road!

Then it got out from under the bungee and fell off my rack on the way home.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:54 pm »
Mine only cost about £1.50 and come with 2 litres of free milk.

don`t know what mine cost as it`s a section old DPC plastic (in black ) which is quite flexy but seems to work OK
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:29 pm »
They are nice flaps.

They are made from the same stuff my own were (mine were from the cover of an old red'n'black notebook (plastic one!)).

i just wanted neater ones than my home made ones and these fit the bill perfectly. I also wanted white rear flaps and could not find white plastic to suit (in quantities I could deal with!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:26:03 pm »
I bought some black ones, then used them as a template to make my own using burgundy 0.8mm polypropylene because it matched the winter bike and they don't come in that colour. The black ones will go on the fixed (which they do match!). :D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:09:38 am »
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »
Just ordered myself a pair of these in reflective white

Will report back when they arrive

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:23:24 am »
Can't fault their speediness.....

Ordered lunchtime yesterday, arrived today, sent 1st class post even though I only paid for 2nd class

KM

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 08:06:34 am »
Mrs KM bought me a pair of the original RAW Mudflaps in black, but I had some of these made up for our member group. Yes, I know there are DIY options (http://eastyorkshirectc.org.uk/flaps), but as well as doing the crucial job of keeping muck off fellow riders' faces they offer a bit of promotion for our lot and these reflective ones appear to be a bit hi viz, too.

We've only just got these samples in to try - currently rear flaps only - so no in-depth review yet, but they look the business and apparently the bloke who makes them has put them through the dishwasher at a high setting to test for durability. (Reflective ones are a bit fiddly to make, by the sound of it.)

The regular RAW mudflaps now include models in different lengths and widths, but I was interested in the custom jobbies. For the likes of our custom ones expect to pay (or refuse to pay) around £14 for a pair of custom designed reflective flaps. Minimum run of ten pairs of custom flaps - but check if you are interested.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:41:33 am »
They look very smart and £14 a pair is barely more than the standard flaps. But the link from the site to ebay goes to the wrong page and although there's a tweet about different sizes, there's no other information about this or anyway to choose a size on the correct ebay page, when you get there.

KM

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »
They look very smart and £14 a pair is barely more than the standard flaps. But the link from the site to ebay goes to the wrong page and although there's a tweet about different sizes, there's no other information about this or anyway to choose a size on the correct ebay page, when you get there.

When I clicked on the eBay link the page said 'This item has been relisted' or something and you're invited to click to go to a new listing. But yes there are only the standard sizes available currently. Presumably there will be more options soon.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »
Yes, that's what I meant by going to the wrong page – as opposed to the current listing directly.

I like the "Cyclists stay clean" design; a good take off of those TfL etc stickers.

KM

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:37 pm »
Yes, that's what I meant by going to the wrong page – as opposed to the current listing directly.

Oh, yes. It looks as though Richard at RAW keeps the same URL and every 30 days the 'auction' ends but eBay susses there's a new listing.  So he doesn't need to update the link every month.  Or something like that. 

I like the "Cyclists stay clean" design; a good take off of those TfL etc stickers.

Yes, I'd not seen that before. 

This non-reflective pair came today for a comparison test.  Perhaps because I'd quickly got used to the 'old' ones in the reflective design I'm not sure if these are quite so effective.  Maybe I need to give them a bit of time...

Humber Bridge 1024pix by East Yorkshire CTC, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 07:36:39 pm »
Every time I see the name of this thread pop up on the index page I think it's going to be about bottom chafing cream  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

KM

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:19 am »
... the link from the site to ebay goes to the wrong page and although there's a tweet about different sizes, there's no other information about this or anyway to choose a size on the correct ebay page, when you get there.

This issue has been side-stepped by relaunching http://rawmudflap.uk/ and allowing buyers to select what they want.  Payment through PayPal.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 12:06:25 pm »
Graeme organised an order, and I thought why not - I'm happy to make my own, but they do look pretty good, they're made of good material and they're thoughtfully-designed so fitting's quite easy.

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
I'm really pleased with them and fellow club members pitched in so we had more than Richard's minimum number to get our custom design. Since then I understand at least one club member has gone directly to Richard for some. Looking at the 'Club/Custom' page I see that more clubs are getting them made up.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
Yacf mudflaps to go with yacf buffs?   :)

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 08:23:04 pm »
They do look good. Need one for the front of recumbent but might get a pair.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 08:32:20 pm »
Just HK and I got a group discount for the number of mudflaps we ordered in one go. Only a couple of our bikes still have homemade mudflaps on them.

Choose carefully to get long enough flaps; only a couple of our mudguards were low enough to justify the short options.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 08:39:41 pm »
Going to measure mudguards both for actual width and height above ground tomorrow.