Author Topic: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes  (Read 6178 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »
I know lightweight locks are controversial, but you either lug around a D lock or go with something that would not stand up to much serious bike thieving tools, but is enough to stop the opportunist from making off with bike.

I have been using an Abus cable lock for a few years now, it is fine, but does weigh 205g.

I looked around for something lighter and this is where I have ended up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Guard-Akita-8045-Looped-Cable-Black/dp/B00AW7P5NI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-145-20-Combination-Padlock/dp/B003JSHET0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The cable is 38g and the padlock is 24g - so, grand total of 62g

Cable is around 50 cm long and can be used in a variety of ways as both ends are looped. It will never do wheels and frame, but again, this is about something that can be used whilst the bike is sat outside the cafe where you are having tea etc.  It's good enough to lock frame to whatever you can find.

The padlock is really good, especially compared to a cheaper offering that I tried first that was terrible and just had the worst action. Clearly anyone with a bit of patience can pick a combination padlock, but again, it is fine for the purpose.  No key to lose etc. Available in lots of colours, but Orange is clearly the best.

So, anyone able to get less than 62 grammes?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Re: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:43:00 pm »
62g? Call that lightweight?

48g plastic covered cable and 3 digit combination lock form BBB.

No way would I even consider a lock weighing 62g!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:17:31 pm »
I've got one of these: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.surelock.air.loop/576/54708/

Just weighed it on the kitchen scales and it's 47g. (I didn't buy it for the weight, but for the size; I wanted something I could stick in a pocket easily without it taking up valuable jelly baby space. The lock I use in actual high-risk areas is something like 2.2kg though!)

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
Wow, is it really 1.8m long?
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:12 am »
On no! I am giving away 15ish grammes!

Damnit. 

Still, better than 205g. And orange!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:34:59 am »
I've got one of these: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.surelock.air.loop/576/54708/

Just weighed it on the kitchen scales and it's 47g.

Ah, same as BBB lock, but with different decal.

Wow, is it really 1.8m long?

Yes!

I have also taken long tie-wrap that can be re-used as a deterrent.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:06:12 am »
The trouble with those very light locks is the times when you can't see your bike from the cafe, or when you wander off to a shop or wherever. That and having to remember a combination are why I don't have one. I used to have an Abus cable lock very similar to what Marcus describes, but I lost it (fell out of saddlebag when I didn't close it properly  :facepalm:) and couldn't find the same, so now have a bigger, chunkier one. Weighs 500g and probably is a waste of time because: it's heavy enough to notice when riding but it's probably not strong enough to ward off a thief with bolt cutters, and sometimes at eg audax controls I find I can't be arsed to use it anyway even though I'm lugging it round.  :facepalm: And every time I ride the bike without a weighty saddlebag, I'm reminded how much funner it feels. So, yeah, I'm tempted by that Giant thing.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:23:09 am »
That and having to remember a combination are why I don't have one.

I find having to remember the key more difficult than remembering the combination - oh the times I've got to my destination and not been able to lock my bike because the key is at home...

I just weighed my Abus Combiflex lock (an older version of this) at 89g - which, to be fair, is somewhat lighter than I expected. Like Kim, I'm gobsmacked that the Giant/BBB one is 1.8m long and yet weighs so little.

M'colleague swears by the Knog Milkman as being very secure (for a café lock) but it comes in at a hefty 142g!

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
Have a significant number that means something to you. The casual scrote who takes a liking to your bike will not know it.  These locks will not prevent those with a will and a way, but they are better than nothing and weigh next to nothing!

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 10:36:38 am »
Have a significant number that means something to you.

Mine is the same as the PIN I use for all my bank/credit cards. I know you're supposed to use different ones for each card but then I'd have to write them down to be able to remember them all.

I've been using the same number for some years. It's a number related to a particular historical fact that I could look up if I ever forgot it, though it's not directly significant to me.

Keys, on the other hand... I've lost many over the years.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:38:51 am »
That and having to remember a combination are why I don't have one.

I find having to remember the key more difficult than remembering the combination - oh the times I've got to my destination and not been able to lock my bike because the key is at home...
I keep bike lock keys on the same key ring as my house key and have spares of each in my (nerd alert) *special cycling wallet*. The idea is the keys go in the SCW which goes in a jersey pocket, but in practice, especially with winter layers, I tend to just put the keys in any available pocket when I leave the house. Two weeks ago this led to me thinking I'd left them at home when I hadn't! Audax free control, I spot a cafe with some bikes outside, stop, go to lock up and can't find the keys. Didn't want to leave the bike unlocked by a main road in a town centre (it was Wantage IIRC) but this was a blessing in disguise – by the time I'd found the keys, I realised I was still full from previous cake control and if I ate any more now, I'd be uncomfortable. So I didn't.  :)

I had a combination lock on the very first new bike I ever owned, bought when I was 17. That would have been quite a handy cafe lock as it was light and was bolted on to the seat post collar (or the saddle rails, can't remember precisely). Ironically, after I'd donated that bike to my sister's (also teenage) neighbour a few years ago, it got stolen, but that lock was no longer on it.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:49 am »
Have a significant number that means something to you.

Mine is the same as the PIN I use for all my bank/credit cards. I know you're supposed to use different ones for each card but then I'd have to write them down to be able to remember them all.

I've been using the same number for some years. It's a number related to a particular historical fact that I could look up if I ever forgot it, though it's not directly significant to me.

Keys, on the other hand... I've lost many over the years.
Enlists as Citoyen's domestique.  :D

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 11:54:28 pm »
So I ordered the BBB lock. Mechanism seemed a bit stiff, so I pushed, and pushed a bit harder, and managed to snap the metal clip with my thumb. I'm all for lightweight, but if you can push it open with your thumb, it's not worth carrying.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 07:30:31 am »
The problem with PIN on these mini padlocks is they are 3 digit, not 4. 

The first padlock I tried (which was actually heavier than the Abus one, but had it's weight listed, which the Abus one doesn't have the correct weight), I actually had to 'pick' every time as the mechanism was so vague.  Even if I selected the right numbers, it would not open, so I would have to pull the shackle part and spin the numbers, one by one, starting at the one furthest from the shackle, until it opened! Dreadful thing.

The Abus one I now have is legitimately a decent little padlock, and the mechanism is very positive and solid.

Sure, I know it could still be picked very easily, but I have tried the same thing I did on the original lock I had and it doesn't make the same sounds etc. As you rotate the numbers into position.

None of it is high security obviously.  But you either carry something weighing a kilo and allow yourself the freedom of being able to leave the bike anywhere pretty much, or you carry something super light and accept it's limitations. Seems silly to carry something in the middle ground that is neither light nor strong.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 10:44:44 am »
I wrap the lock in such a way that the lock end is out of sight and takes a little effort to find it.  I am under no illusion of its ability, or lack of, regarding security and I use a 'proper' lock when utility cycling or touring. But a cafe lock is just that, small, light, and a simple 'take the bike without any security measure' item.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 12:28:44 pm »
Thanks for the cable recommendation, Marcus.  Into my Amazon basket it goes.  I'll try and find a better padlock for the same sort of weight, though.  I never lose keys (not in my adult life anyway).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »
i carry a combination cable lock around 50cm long and weighing a hefty 90g. it's more secure than the flimsiest ones which can be yanked by brute force in one second, but of course i would not leave my bike somewhere on the street out of sight with it..

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 12:42:09 pm »
Seems silly to carry something in the middle ground that is neither light nor strong.
Yes. Seems even sillier to lug 500g of cable lock around 224km of Somerset's finest Mendips and not use it once.  :facepalm: I guess it's resistance training.  ::-) Anyway, bike didn't get stolen!

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 09:29:39 pm »

Just weighed it on the kitchen scales and it's 47g. (I didn't buy it for the weight, but for the size; I wanted something I could stick in a pocket easily without it taking up valuable jelly baby space. The lock I use in actual high-risk areas is something like 2.2kg though!)

Yep, me too. Rate it highly.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57:25 am »
I've taken to tying an inner tube around my bike and something heavy/permanent. Not a lock, but it's a bastard to undo. On my disco bike, it's that plus a lock through the chain ring or front disc , so it's "over the handlebars they go" . Hopefully I can then accidentally kick them in the bollocks as they lie in a tangled heap.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58:09 pm »
I've been carrying one of these and a little padlock around on the Audax bike for about 10 years.  About 120g together, but I think more than half of that is the padlock.  It would stop an opportunist just wheeling the bike away, but thats about it.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 09:14:12 pm »
I like to use a couple of reusable zip ties 20g max

Not terribly secure but will stop an opportunist

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 04:11:00 am »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 07:36:03 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ottolock/ottolocktm-the-go-anywhere-cinch-lock-for-bikes-an looks to be an interesting option.

Thank you for posting that. For me, that hits the mark for being portable and potentially offer more of a challenge to opportunists than my current lightweight cable lock. Still just a deterrent, but for typical cafe/shop stops in low risk areas it should suffice. Completely unproven though, but then that's the security industry for you. Not the lightest at a quoted 'under 115g' but in my view nobody would notice the difference between that and something 50g lighter when out on a typical ride.   

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 09:17:19 am »

Yep, me too. Rate it highly.

Still not had me bike nicked.