Author Topic: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes  (Read 6186 times)

Re: Lightweight cafe lock - 62 grammes
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:53 pm »
Time to move house or beat the carp out of the thieves?

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:19 pm »

Well I did recently buy a Brompton (in addition to my tourer), which is one solution i.e. don't let the bike out of your sight, by taking it with you...

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 10:59:16 pm »
I even had my (non quick release) seat post and (5 year old) Brooks saddle nicked when I was in a shop for just 10 minutes...
a ball bearing inserted into the allen key bolt ad held there by grease will stop a rascal with a multitool stealing your saddle. As will a piece of old brake cable through the saddle rail and the seat stay and held together using a thingy from Homebase with bolts.

Don't tell me about Oxford - I once locked my bike in a  student bike park overnight and in the morning found someone had used a chain tool to break the chain, then removed the derailleur from the bike and disconnected the control cable. Must have taken 15 minutes. Would have been quicker to nick the entire bike.

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2017, 09:27:33 am »
It's a nice idea; but there are rather a lot of the thieves, and how do you find them?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2017, 01:04:12 pm »
It's a nice idea; but there are rather a lot of the thieves, and how do you find them?

Also I'm not sure that beating them with a fish will help...

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:27 pm »
I even had my (non quick release) seat post and (5 year old) Brooks saddle nicked when I was in a shop for just 10 minutes...
a ball bearing inserted into the allen key bolt ad held there by grease will stop a rascal with a multitool stealing your saddle. As will a piece of old brake cable through the saddle rail and the seat stay and held together using a thingy from Homebase with bolts.

I quite like the ball-bearing idea, though it's possible a) it might fall out when riding over bumpy terrain or b) the thief might figure it out

Don't tell me about Oxford - I once locked my bike in a  student bike park overnight and in the morning found someone had used a chain tool to break the chain, then removed the derailleur from the bike and disconnected the control cable. Must have taken 15 minutes. Would have been quicker to nick the entire bike.

Doesn't surprise me! It's not so bad outside the town centre, but I try not to be away from my bike too long if left in the centre

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2017, 01:10:56 pm »
I've used my spare Toe-straps before now (I always have 2 in my Carradice loops).

One around the front brake and the other through a fence as you would a small cable lock.  Since young people today only understand Velcro and stretchy grey tracksuit bottoms I reckon a belt and buckle will confound them for hours.

In all seriousness I use it to stop someone quickly wheeling it away while I order my coffee, I always keep it in sight.  No lock will prevent a determined thief who wants your bike. 
Locks simply prevent casual, opportunist, thefts.

My actual lock is a rebadged ABUS "Cafe" lock.  4 digit combo.  fits in my pocket and probably has less tensile strength than a Toe-strap.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2017, 06:01:07 am »
That and having to remember a combination are why I don't have one.

I find having to remember the key more difficult than remembering the combination - oh the times I've got to my destination and not been able to lock my bike because the key is at home...

Surely the answer to this is in your last word. I assume that after your ride you are returning home. And hope to get back in. So why not put your bike lock key on the same key ring as your house keys?