Author Topic: Anker USB power packs...  (Read 1406 times)

Anker USB power packs...
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:10:28 am »
I've used a 5600mAh Anker (120g) for a couple of years to power XML-T6 lights with USB connections/ all day VIRB timelapse.  Which gave 3+hrs on lower light output setting.

Recently I've upgraded to this 10000mAh, which is a decent 180g, and seems well made.  £15.

Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger

Though I've yet to do a long dark ride test (FNRttS?), the evening commutes I've used it for so far have only taken it down to 3 of 4 charge lights.  Impressed.

"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Re: Anker USB power packs...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:32:53 am »
I bought an Anker Astro E6 (20800mAh), following numerous recommendations here, after my Portapow died a premature death. It's since been replaced in the Anker line-up by the PowerCore 20100. It gives me enough juice to keep both my Garmin and iPhone topped up round a 600, with plenty to spare. I bought it with PBP in mind, with the intention of using it to keep my rechargeable lights topped up as well. It's actually too big for most occasions (doesn't fit in my top tube bag), and pretty heavy, so I really ought to invest in a smaller model for shorter rides.

Your 10000 will be more than capable of seeing you round the FNRttS.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:43:36 am »
Anyone who plays Ingress regularly will have at least one of these lurking in their jeans pockets.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:06:55 am »
Thought I'd add to this as my 10000 pack died after only 10 months with hardly any use, contacted asker and after confirming it wasn't cables and providing serial number they're sending me a new one. Great service.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
Thought I'd add to this as my 10000 pack died after only 10 months with hardly any use, contacted asker and after confirming it wasn't cables and providing serial number they're sending me a new one. Great service.
I think it's the lack of use that kills them.  I bought two lipstick powercore minis at the same time, one gets used at least weekly and is fine after three years, the other only got used a couple of times a year on tours and died. When I get round to replacing it, I'll keep both in use.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 01:31:40 pm »
Lithium-ion cells like to be stored partially (but preferably not fully: 40% is best[1]) charged.  They do self-discharge over time (although nowhere as quickly as NiMH).  What really kills them is deep discharge, which is where they'll end up if you discharge them to the point where the protection circuitry cuts off, then leave them lying around for months.

Some USB power pack designs - particularly the smaller ones - exacerbate the problem by keeping the voltage converter circuitry ticking over when not in use (thereby avoiding the need for a button to switch them on).  It doesn't draw very much current, but it's a lot more than the self-discharge of the battery.

So yes, keeping them in active use, or at least digging them out and giving them some charge every now and then, should prolong their life.

[1] Though being stored fully charged is going to do them a *lot* less damage than the voltage dropping below 2V/cell, so I'd err on the side of higher.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...