Author Topic: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on  (Read 17898 times)

Re: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2020, 07:03:05 pm »
Exit of the Cherwell Valley services at around 7am. I'd stopped for breakfast and a snooze on an overnight 300km DIY. I got as far as the roundabout and chickened out. Exited via the woodland path from the back of the lorry park onto some relatively quiet B roads.
I stopped in at Cherwell Valley in the early afternoon of Upper Thames.

Tbh, I didn't find it too bad, but then again, I've plenty of experience with Big Scary Roundabouts. Vehicles aren't moving hugely fast around there, so it is possible to get into the correct lane.

« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2020, 12:29:36 pm »
The first few miles north from Perth on the A9.  I've done this on both my LEJoGs and both times I was in fear of my life.  Worse than any other country (Italy, India, Morocco, etc) due to the speed, close proximity and general aggressiveness of drivers.

« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »
I stopped in at Cherwell Valley in the early afternoon of Upper Thames.[\quote]

Early afternoon is nice and quite, 7am is rally time to London.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #203 on: July 18, 2020, 11:28:06 am »
The A34 from Chilton to Bury Down because its the only bit of tarmac that crosses the Downs between Goring and Wantage.  Or - some busy road in Italy on the Mille Miglia where (apparently) I was passed so close by a truck that if I'd not been on my drops the wing mirror would have taken my head out.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 172 (metric) 524 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)