Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 43601 times)

deejay

• A wise man goes when he can
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #400 on: June 03, 2018, 09:21:34 am »
I was out doing a DIY200 yesterday. On the run in the Red Lodge near Newmarket when I met two other riders. One was wearing a Audax Ireland gilet. We had a brief  conversation and it turned out that the audax rider was on a DIY250 starting at Peterborough and had just met the other rider. I assumed everyone would be heading for the famous cafe but in the end I was the only one that stopped. I am just wondering if it was anyone from hear. I hope the day went well for you.

JT

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2018, 09:28:00 am »
A DIY by GPS:

Mrs P's first 300 (subject to validation)  8) She doesn't mention the steep cobbly climb up Bosberg - must've erased that one from her mind :)

I nearly filled up the AUK DIY by GPS entry form with controls for this one!

Quote from: Mrs Pingu
So, The Audacious Maattentart Heist: 0450 start wearing all the clothes. Saw lots of kitties on the canal path doing a spot of early morning hunting, as well as a giant metallic bat. 2nd brekky in Deinze was Maattentart from a van at the market. Then off up through the Flemish Ardennes for Dan 's fix of hills and the weather warmed up and we had wall to wall sunshine. Turned north in a bit of a head wind back on to the flat. Antwerp full of crap expensive shops. Down through the Sint Anna tunnel under the Scheldt which was very chilly after the 30ish °C on the surface. A flat bit next to the motorway which ate up the kms a bit with the wind behind us, before we got to the Dutch coast and quite a lot of interminably dull route behind the Zeedijk into a head or a cross wind. At this point the 3 litres of water consumed started to turn into a yen for a big sachet of salt and a can of fizzy pop. Some kilometers later we found a friteur and much rejoicing was done. After that more trundling along the usually heaving route past Cadzand and Knokke Heist which was happily dead at that time of night. Nice sunset and then finally we turned away from the coast on the last stretch into Bruges. Also seen: storks, several hunting kestrels, various dogs, cats sheep all flaked out in the sun, some hares and a dead cow in a farmyard.

That tunnel:

IMG_0983_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

bhoot

• Mrs RRtY
« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:47 pm »
Five islands, four causeways, no ferries, and quite a few birds*
On holiday in the Outer Hebrides we checked out the possibility of a 200km DIY and found out that it was possible to cycle that far without taking any ferries or falling into the sea. We started at Berneray ferry terminal, headed over the first causeway of the day and then south west to Balranald (corncrakes, redshanks, oystercatchers) and then south over the next three causeways to the Hebridean Jewellery coffee shop at the north end of South Uist for bacon rolls. Suitably refreshed, south again (curlews and short eared owl) to the Kilbride campsite cafe at the south end of the island, with a great view across to Barra - for the previous two weeks this would have been of white sand and sparkling turquoise water but the weather had broken and it was a bit grey all day. Turnaround point, so back now into the wind and we realised why the northbound touring cyclists we had met earlier were looking slightly grim! Next stop via one causeway was Benbecula (shelduck and chicks) for a control at McLennans supermarket where we sat outside on compost bags (much more comfortable than petrol station charcoal) and ate typical audax fare of yoghurt and rock buns and drank chocolate milk. Back across two more causeways (with the small island of Grimsay between them) to North Uist and the Lochmaddy ATM (a rare facility around here) to control. The final leg (more oystercatchers, swans, redshanks, a raven, maybe an eagle) across the last causeway of the day back to Berneray, fortunately arriving before the last ferry of the day from Harris disgorged its vehicles onto the singletrack road.
* We could in fact have bagged one more island and causeway by going to Eriskay but we didn't actually need to for 200km

« Reply #403 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »
I was out doing a DIY200 yesterday. On the run in the Red Lodge near Newmarket when I met two other riders. One was wearing a Audax Ireland gilet. We had a brief  conversation and it turned out that the audax rider was on a DIY250 starting at Peterborough and had just met the other rider. I assumed everyone would be heading for the famous cafe but in the end I was the only one that stopped. I am just wondering if it was anyone from hear. I hope the day went well for you.

JT

Yes that was me. Nice bumping onto you. I was doing a route check for the south part of the Yorkshire via Essex(The Flatlands Reversed), http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-382/ and it controls at the NISA store centre in Red Lodge and not at the cafe. Was not trying to avoid you ;D. Always good to see others enjoying the weather and riding their bike.

« Reply #404 on: June 16, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »
great one way 200 Edinburgh - Stonehaven after last weeks Southern Upland 400km.

I booked the 1510 train home so left at 0500 which also helped me keep ahead of the rain.,,...for a while. 

Lovely sunrise behind the Forth Road Bridge (see @graeme_wyllie on twitter) and mostly favourable SE winds. 

Heavy rain by Forfar 120km and steady thereafter.   

My body is back getting used to a single stop on a 200 so i was just over 9 hrs and had about 45 mins to spare after getting changed.

A couple of pints in the Station Hotel while watching the football and a wee snooze on the train home.  Fab day despite rain

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/24387738

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:45 pm »
Nice one, YleeG.
Shame you won't be at Fordoun tomorrow. I'm currently trying to moderate my wine consumption this evening, which is a bit of a nuisance!

« Reply #406 on: June 16, 2018, 09:29:51 pm »
Nice one, YleeG.
Shame you won't be at Fordoun tomorrow. I'm currently trying to moderate my wine consumption this evening, which is a bit of a nuisance!
aye, I was given my orders to keep tomorrow free for Fathers Day.  Good luck!  I really must get out on the TT bike and get some practicce

« Reply #407 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:10 am »
I churned out the Dark and White Peak 200KM Perm on Saturday. Easily my hardest 200KM ride to date with 4000m of ascent recorded and a persistent strong headwind for every Southbound mile. Spectacular scenery though. A highly recommended ride!

deejay

• A wise man goes when he can
« Reply #409 on: June 21, 2018, 12:28:08 pm »
Always good to see others enjoying the weather and riding their bike.

Yep, it was a good day in the end if a little wet at the start for me. It threatened to thunder near the finish as I rolled back through Bury St Edmunds and Stowmarket but nothing came of it.
 :thumbsup:

JT

« Reply #410 on: June 22, 2018, 01:25:25 pm »
Seven of best (or worst) climbs in the Cotswolds... hopefully 2 AAA points when validated

https://www.strava.com/activities/1654567082

« Reply #411 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »
200 yesterday in a last-ditch attempt to keep my RRTY going. Up the A38 to Gloucester for elevenses (more like tenses, but any time is good) then out over Alney Island and up to Ledbury, where I spent far too much time eating ice cream and generally looking around. There's a lot to look at in a small town, I must go back on another occasion without time pressure. On further north, continuing into a headwind, to the turning point at Bromyard. From Ledbury to Bromyard is really not very far but the heat and the headwind where draining me (nothing to do with being unfit, oh no) so I found a cosy little cafe where I had a cup of tea and a cheese and onion toastie. Bromyard is in a valley, which I hadn't taken any notice of when planning. I did on the way out. Fortunately the road out actually seemed a shallower gradient than the one in. I also hadn't paid much attention to riding along the A465 for several miles. You can't always tell with A roads unless you know them; some are horrible, some lovely. Even primary status isn't an infallible guide. Fortunately the A465 had not much traffic but gave me the benefit of a smooth surface, easy gradients and no give ways.

I crossed the Wye at Holme Lacy and the steep stuff started. Again, maps and signs aren't everything. The first hill the OS consider worthy of a chevron left me unimpressed while others with no chevrons were far more taxing. The descent into Hoarwithy manages to combine a chevron, meaning at least 14%, with a road sign indicating 10%. In this case, I reckon it's at least 14%. It's also quite potholed, so I rushed down in a clanging of luggage, bottles and Garmin! By now it was really hot – the computer on my bike indicated 33 degrees! – so I did something quite unusual for me, stopped at a rural pub (it wasn't in a village, just at a crossroads) and drank some orange juice and lemonade, which I found really refreshing. (But why does it cost more than beer?)

The hottest was yet to come though. The road out of Monmouth to Trellech starts with a long climb. It's never steep but it never stops and the road is quite exposed. It felt like five miles though looking at the map I think it's only about two. I went right down the cassette, kept my cadence steady and was glad to reach the top. So was my average speed, which increased noticeably as I freewheeled at 50-odd km/h towards Chepstow; I'd been bumping against the time limit before. Chepstow, of course, is virtually a suburb of Bristol (or vice versa?) so from there it's just a question of following my nose. Home, and there were peaches!
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #412 on: July 08, 2018, 10:59:32 am »
Today's ride turned out to be an exercise in poor nutrition and hydration (because I forgot my wallet). Conclusion: either don't forget your wallet or carry enough food and water to get you round sans dosh. I do these things so you don't have to  ::-)

Anyway, a lovely day to be out on the bike. Had a puncture at @ 20k in - boo and indeed literally hiss >:-( . Bastard headwind from Dufftown got bastardier as the afternoon wore on. Not much wildlife spotted - some buzzards, an oystercatcher chick and a smelly dead deer.

Met that Feanor on the Col de Chapel of Garioch  :)

Superior arrivée on this event  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #413 on: July 08, 2018, 03:17:58 pm »
The Wee McTaggart and I tandemed round the Horses for Courses 200 perm yesterday, along with megajoules expenditure and HK on solos. Not too much in the way of hills but quite a bit of fluid consumed. It turned out that Snetterton Circuit wouldn't let us into the cafe without each of us purchasing a £16 ticket to watch the racing, despite advice to the contrary. A food stop a little further along the route seemed like a better use of our readies.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...