Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 75771 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2020, 06:24:17 am »
Went out on my 1st 300km since Apr 2011 on Friday.
MK down to Pangbourne and Micheldever before crossing the A34 and coming back up through Faccombe, Lambourne and Kidlington back to MK.
Great day for it and managed to get round in under 13hrs  :thumbsup:

Now thinking about whether to get a couple of longer rides in before Nov' for an SR!

« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
A 13 hour elapsed 300 is very good going indeed. I’ve only managed that once and that was back in 2013.  I have done a 11 hour 300 as part of a 600, but that was going north through the fens with a nice tailwind.

« Reply #627 on: September 10, 2020, 01:02:32 pm »
A 13 hour elapsed 300 is very good going indeed. I’ve only managed that once and that was back in 2013.  I have done a 11 hour 300 as part of a 600, but that was going north through the fens with a nice tailwind.
My quickest '300' was 296km in 11:30 on asparagus and strawberries, then i ate, then i slept so time to 300km was quite a bit longer . Actual 300s vary between 13:30 and 16:00  getting to fougeres on PBP was 13:30 I think getting to menai in 13:06 on BCM was my next best 300km. I could probably do it more often by cutting stops down,  which is probably why first 300 of longer rides tend to be quicker. I'm perfectly happy to finish at 9pm after starting at 6 so no need to rush at controls. While on a 400 I want to get finished and have some sleep.

Eddington  96miles

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #628 on: September 11, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
DIY 400 yesterday.
Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Aberdeen.

Hillier than it initially seems.

Cairn o' Mount both ways, with the steep side coming after 380k.
Glenfarg Southbound is a grind and a half.
Fife in an endless series of smaller hills.

Cold start, sub 2 degrees out to the first control at Banchory, then sub-zero on the climb up the Cairn.  Took several hours for the temperature to pick up to the forecast temperatures.

Feeling it today.

« Reply #629 on: September 12, 2020, 09:05:12 pm »
200 on Thursday. Hardest 200 I've done, round the lake district with 6 of the main passes and a few other lumps.

First time I've had to think about time limits and risk of missing them.

Got round OK but hardknott is a bastard, as I expected it would be. Got up the first steep bit but the second bit had me so had to walk a bit. Then the descent was scary, too steep to be able to stop.

Everything else was a level down in difficulty. Never imagined getting to a climb and seeing a sign saying 25% and my reaction being 'OK, that's no problem'.

Started the ride from close to where I used to live as a teenager and student (Cockermouth) but back in those days I would never have imagined riding up those hills. But then I never had such low gears in the 80s.

« Reply #630 on: September 13, 2020, 08:05:05 pm »
* edited start time*

Sitting at Exeter Station waiting for my train home having just completed the excellent sw moors super randonee.

Got back to exeter with 45 minutes to spare. Finished just after sunset on the first two days.  Incredible ride across dartmoor and exmoor and surrounding areas.

Friday start 07.30  216km 4800m of climb by my garmin, across dartmoor and exmoor to the north coast before turning into a headwind laden with drizzle, through lynmouth and the valley of the rocks and on to Barnstaple before turning south for dinner and eep at the blue lion lewdown. Great food and let me bring my bike in, but last dinner orders at 20.30

Saturday start at 07:00 203km with 4000m of climbing, head west to tintagel before heading south to bodmin more then turning east tailwind? Through tavistock and up over dartmoor before dropping to buckfastleigh and then crossing dartmoor again going north this time, brief glimpse of the south coast (probably Plymouth?) Before stopping for the night at Duke of york, iddleleigh.

Sunday start 06:30 head north across exmoor to Simonsbath, tantalising glimps of views that could be spectacular through the clearing cloud, the a fast run east to the quantock hills and then south to exeter.

Great views  great weather (mostly) but possibly the hardest ride I have finished. Pack as light as you can, you will regret every surplus kg

Eddington  96miles

« Reply #631 on: September 14, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
When did you start on Fri, 1930 doesn’t work with a 0700 Sat start as well?

« Reply #632 on: September 14, 2020, 10:57:03 pm »
When did you start on Fri, 1930 doesn’t work with a 0700 Sat start as well?
You're right 07:30 Friday start. 19:30 would be crazy  3 nights and 2 days instead of vice versa

Eddington  96miles

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #633 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:38 am »
A 200k DIY on Monday, taking advantage of increasingly warm and sunny weather.  Light winds were forecast, not altogether accurately.  Start / finish at Stamfordham (near Newcastle) with a loop heading West along the lanes to Hexham then Corbridge.  Back past Stamfordham to do a longer loop East to the coast at Amble, then down to Lynemouth.  A blustery headwind along the exposed Druridge Bay road was a nuisance but once I changed direction and started heading inland it got easier.

I started feeling a bit Egan Bernal on the last stretch, not helped by a section of road near Ponteland with a lot of dangerously impatient commuter traffic.  Once past the rat run route, quieter roads again as I pottered back to the finish.  A lovely day out, despite nearly 6,000' of climbing. I even found a couple of roads that I hadn't used before.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #634 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:45 pm »
DIY 200 yesterday in the interests of keeping my Randonneur Once A Year going.  Down through Solihull and along the Kenilworth Greenway (which, like many roads in the area, was suffering from an outbreak of HS2, requiring a minor diversion), then round to Brinklow and up towards Leicster, then Loughborough, Coalville, the excellently named Newton Burgoland[1] to pick up an errant VeloViewer tile, then into Tamworth and back to Brum.

Knee was being low-level annoying for the first 60km or so.  Then it started to get warm.  Much warmer than expected:  The cheese in my sandwich melted.  I'd brought 4 litres of water with me, but didn't manage to drink enough of it during the heat of the day.  It's hard to keep track of consumption when it's just an amorphous bag on the rear rack.

Leicester's Great Central Way is one of those rare actually good pieces of cycle infrastructure.  In a city of traffic lights, it's doubly useful.  Was also able to confirm that barakta's employer is still there, and noted a suspicious absence of geese on both the Soar and the Grand Onion Canal.

Nice flat run out to Loughborough, before the climb up to Coalville.  Which appears to have a coal mine in the middle of it.

Nothing didn't happen at the ford at Ibstock, in spite of the warning to cyclists.

Noticed that Orton-on-the-Hill has the junction of Sheepy Lane and Main Street[2], which is probably the most Tamworth audax thing ever.

Went past the Pretty Pigs, but didn't stop for a pint of orange and lemonade.  I still had ~40km to go, and it's not the same without Geoff.

Made surprisingly good progress back to Brum.  Traffic was light, and the temperature had dropped to something reasonable.  Got home just as it was getting dark.

[1] I postulated that this is a reference to Isaac Newton, on account of the climbing required.
[2] They're not very imaginative when it comes to road names in Leicestershire.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #635 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:22 pm »
300 yesterday, a loop from London down to the Kent /Sussex coast and back again.

I cunningly reversed the route when I saw the weather forecast was for a stiff North easterly. That meant a bit of unfavorable crosswind for much of the day, but a glorious 40 miles or so along the coast, from New Romney to Pevensey with a full on tail wind.

The coastal section was the highlight, especially going through Hastings abs Bexhill.  Was a sunny day and there were people in the sea.

Most of the day was flat but the route back was a bit lumpy a bit main roady - my lack of care in routing to blame for that.

Early start, just before 4am, meant I could get across London when it was quiet, have Dawn breaking as I got into the country and get home in plenty of time for dinner. That was all according to plan, but on the way back I realised it also meant crossing London to home in rush hour.