Author Topic: £1.10 Garmin mount  (Read 2402 times)

£1.10 Garmin mount
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »
I ordered this Garmin mount from ebay on 9th May. It was £1.10 including shipping then, I see it's gone up to £1.69 now; over 50% inflation in less than a month!  :o I got an email the following day saying it would arrive between 26th May and 21st June. All the way from China, for £1.10, I expected it later not sooner. Possibly not at all but for so little it was worth a go. It arrived today! And it appears identical to a genuine Garmin item, for which Garmin charge IIRC £14. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's from the same factory. What really surprised me is it has been posted as an individual item – for so little I'd half expected a bulk order to be split on arrival. I guess the Chinese PO is really cheap! I'll fit it tomorrow and see how it fares in use.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

Re: £1.10 Garmin mount
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »
Similar story to the capped water bottle I bought for £1.13 last month!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:42:26 pm »
I've one of those, and the genuine Garmin one, no difference at all. Apart from price of course!

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:33 pm »
I've had a couple of those knock-off ones.  They appear to be the same, but the manufacturing tolerances are somewhat sloppier.  On one, the Garmin wouldn't latch in place at all.  I complained to the seller and they sent me a replacement.  That was somewhat better, in that there was some latching action, but it would still come out with a slight push.  Since it was going on the mountain bike, I gave up and bought a proper one, which holds securely.

I'm wondering if they came from the same factory; specifically the reject bin.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »
I would assume they came from the same factory but out the back door in some way: either deliberate or accidental over-production by the manufacturer, or some enterprising worker making a few extra after hours, or (less likely I think) outright theft.

Anyway, I've just tried mine and there's no slop in it at all. Quite the opposite in fact; I can't get the Garmin all the way down the groove thing, it's so tight! It might prove easier once the mount's attached to the bike and I've got something to push against or it might need a bit of sanding. Or it might not work at all.

I'm impressed by how cheap China Post must be though, even if the cost of the item to the seller is zero.

Kim

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »
I would assume they came from the same factory but out the back door in some way: either deliberate or accidental over-production by the manufacturer, or some enterprising worker making a few extra after hours, or (less likely I think) outright theft.

Anyway, I've just tried mine and there's no slop in it at all. Quite the opposite in fact; I can't get the Garmin all the way down the groove thing, it's so tight! It might prove easier once the mount's attached to the bike and I've got something to push against or it might need a bit of sanding. Or it might not work at all.

That lends weight to the out-of-spec reject theory.

I'm impressed by how cheap China Post must be though, even if the cost of the item to the seller is zero.

Yes, it's astounding.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »
The label says it went "Small packet air" and weighs 22g gross. According to China Post website that should cost 18RMB to Europe, which is about £1.90. But their website's a bit unclear, so it could have gone for 7.80RMB. That's about 80p so they're making only 30p per item but OTOH almost 40% profit. Worth it in big numbers. And I guess China is cheaper than I thought.

http://english.chinapost.com.cn/html1/report/1208/177-1.htm

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:00:09 pm »
Cost of living in China is 42.29% lower than in United Kingdom (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in China is 37.81% lower than in United Kingdom (average data for all cities).
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=China
Rent in China looks a lot more than we were paying in India. So do most things, in fact, except perhaps the "mid-range restaurant" (but the the cheap one would be way cheaper in India).

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »
They appear to be the same, but the manufacturing tolerances are somewhat sloppier.

I had an Edge Garmin mount from Chinese eBay like that and after about a year I had to chuck it away as the plastic wasn't engaging with the back of the Garmin as well as before, and I was worried that I'd loose a +£200 Garmin on rough roads.

Always a good idea to get a longer lanyard to the GPS, and wrap it round the bars / stem. That way the GPS comes out if the mount, it won't fall out onto the road

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:16:26 pm »
I always do that^. It saved my Garmin from what could have been an expensive fall on Wednesday night! This was from a genuine Garmin mount; I had removed it from the bars while we went into the pub (certainly  needlessly as it was a deserted pub garden in a quiet, well-to-do village) and failed to press it all the way home when I put it back on again in the dark.

Anyway, a few minutes with a bit of sandpaper and the QC failure works pretty well. It's now on the bars of the UTB and will get tried out tomorrow. Or sometime soon.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 08:23:05 pm »
I have just ordered one for the grand sum of £1.28.  Estimated delivery some time between 14/6 and 7/7.

Kim

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »
+1 for use of lanyards.  I've had my Garmin come out of the mount a few times now, either due to it getting bashed by something (typically being kicked while mounting/dismounting a recumbent, but also a couple of crashes), or incompetent insertion.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
Ignoring price, are there any eTrex 20-compatible mounts that (a) attach with engineering rather than zip ties, (b) can be quickly added and removed to the stem or handlebar, (c) don’t rattle, and (d) hold the Garmin out in front of the handlebar?

Or something that meets some of these wishes.

The Edge quarter-turn mounts are far better in my opinion.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Virtual Alps
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »
I would assume they came from the same factory but out the back door in some way: ...
That lends weight to the out-of-spec reject theory.

My genuine Garmin mounts have TAIWAN embossed on them, my cheap copies don't.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:35 pm »
China is full of companies that make lookalike plastic items of this sort. Since saving the price of a beer every few years is meaningless even to a cheapskate like me, I don’t even look at the copies.

With the Garmin out-front mount for Edge, I did reject the Garmin version on cost (a surreal €40), but I bought a proper third-party model instead (by SRAM). I’m more comfortable with that than with unbranded direct copies (often minus the quality).

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 11:18:52 am »
I took it out for a quick test yesterday. Only two miles but including two sets of setts. Those cobbles are cobblers for bikes! Actually, it was only one lot, but twice – first with fork locked, then without, which didn't seem to make any difference. Anyway, everything stayed in place.

As for one that holds an Etrex out in front of the bars, I've looked but couldn't find anything. It wouldn't fit with this bike anyway, because of the bar bag.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
As for one that holds an Etrex out in front of the bars, I've looked but couldn't find anything.

Rec-Mounts appear to offer a range of Etrex mounts but they cost a bit more than £1.10.

More info here: http://thegpsgeek.com/blog/archives/1075

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 08:13:38 pm »
I bought 5 of these cheap garmin mounts from ebay a few months ago

Have them on all the bikes

They are no better or worse than an "official" mount

Just like the proper mount I've put a bit of tape inside the mounting slot to make it tighter
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
Anyway, everything stayed in place.

Great!

You wonder how it makes economic sense for any of the many people in the supply chain to design (copy), manufacturer, distribute, sell, and ship this to you for £1.10 all the way from China. This isn’t even an iPhone accessory or something with similar economies of scale. It’s a pretty niche little thing. Bonkers.

Meanwhile Garmin charges €40 for the Edge out-front mount in France. Some contrast!

JonBuoy: thanks for mentioning the Rec-Mounts, which I’d never heard of despite searching. I’ll look closely at these.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 09:47:27 pm »
Bump.

I finally bought an authentic Garmin version of this mount. The design is for thin, quill-type handlebars. When used with a fat handlebar like mine, the handlebar doesn’t press the rubber plug up against the inserted eTrex. Thus the design intention of holding the device in place with the rubber bung fails.

And they have the gall to charge €12 for this!

Vorsprung mentions tape as a fix, above. Is that the acknowledged best fix?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 10:02:13 pm »
I wasn't aware the bung was supposed to hold the Etrex in. I thought it was to dampen rattles.

I have a mixture of the official and knock-off ones on my bikes. All seem to work fine if you push the etrex right down to the retaining clip at the bottom of the slot. One of the copies is a bit loose and padded out with duct tape. One of the official ones is so tight that un-clipping the garmin can be difficult.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:54 am »
+1 for use of lanyards.  I've had my Garmin come out of the mount a few times now, either due to it getting bashed by something (typically being kicked while mounting/dismounting a recumbent, but also a couple of crashes), or incompetent insertion.

Are there any Really Good YACF-approved lanyards out there? I've been using an old one repurposed from ... somewhere, and really ought to get a new one (or 3)!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 12:54:26 pm »

Are there any Really Good YACF-approved lanyards out there? I've been using an old one repurposed from ... somewhere, and really ought to get a new one (or 3)!

I've been using the eTrex one from my eTrex, which came with a lanyard.  None of the newer ones have done.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:14:48 pm »
Plenty of cheap lanyards on Ebay. You can get 10 for about £2, in whatever colours you like.
Search for something like "lanyard wrist strap" (if you just search for lanyard, you get loads of things for holding ID cards).

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »
Everything comes with a lanyard. I have one from a light meter and another from an audio recorder that work well for this purpose.

But about the tape, do you tape the back of the Garmin (the battery door) or the mount? Any pictures?