Author Topic: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)  (Read 61549 times)

Re: TdeF 2016
« Reply #125 on: 09 July, 2016, 09:38:48 pm »
Cardinal Brailsford: “No one expects the Sky Improvisation! Our chief weapon is surprise, fearless descending and surprise; two chief weapons, fearless descending, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among our chief weapons are: fearless descending, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near-fanatical domestiques! Um, I'll come in again...”

It's nice to see Sky planning to be more spontaneous
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #126 on: 09 July, 2016, 10:01:34 pm »
ISWYDT ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #127 on: 09 July, 2016, 10:51:44 pm »
Am I right in assuming that in spite of the gloomy prognostications of C Boardman The Man did not deem Cav to have been too late to go to the ball Andorra tomorrow?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #128 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:04:59 pm »
Am I right in assuming that in spite of the gloomy prognostications of C Boardman The Man did not deem Cav to have been too late to go to the ball Andorra tomorrow?

I believe he's OK.  Right at the end of the programme, they showed Cav coming in, right at the end of a big block of riders.

Whilst that group was outside the cutoff time, there was enough of them, that it was unlikely they'd all be eliminated.

So, it would appear that he will go to the ball, but only just.
Actually, it is rocket science.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #129 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:05:29 pm »
Yup, he and Bernie made the time cut- according to the team they got back four minutes on the grupetto in the last 20km.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #130 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:14:05 pm »
Did the autobus wait for them?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #131 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:52:43 pm »
At the end of the live coverage Boardman was implying that Cav was off the back on his own, but the back he was off the back off hadn't come in 38+ minutes after Froome stopped looking at his stem, and then the programme ended.  I checked on the Tour's official webby SCIENCE before we went to thee Pubbe and they were still showing him as holding the green jersey but these FOREIGNS can be a bit slow in updating Stuffs (especially if it pertains to Perfidious Albion :demon:), plus the webby SCIENCE is an horrible mess anyway.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #132 on: 10 July, 2016, 12:07:17 am »
The TdF site is showing Cav and 54 others coming in at +39' 24", apparently just inside the time cut (along with another 43 just ahead at 34' 43").

ETA: I don't think I saw anyone mention exactly what the cut was, so I just worked it out - 44' 38".

(click to show/hide)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #133 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:33:54 am »
There was an interview with an alien who looked just like M Cavendish of the IOM at the end of the highlights show, but it can't have been him, as the alien was chatty and smiling.  Anyhoo, he explained how much he hates the Pyrenees, and how they (gnarly sprinters) got "all scientific" working out how many watts per kilo they'd need to stay in contention. And then he got a puncture so had to go a bit.  And on the last descent they gave it absolute beans "because you never know what's going to happen."

La télévision française had all buggered off home when he nipped up on to the stage to get his green jumper.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #134 on: 10 July, 2016, 08:06:28 am »
Brits are holding 3 out of 4 jerseys, hold the first 2 places overall and have won 5 out of the 8 stages so far.

I'm dreaming - someone will be along soon to tell me we voted to leave as well.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #135 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:50:05 am »
And all the pundits are tipping A Murray of Scotlandshire to win Wmbldn this afternoon.  It's the End Times, I tells 'e!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #136 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:58:58 am »
Brits are holding 3 out of 4 jerseys, hold the first 2 places overall and have won 5 out of the 8 stages so far.
Not only that; Brit. riders aren't confined to one team and the presence of youngsters such as Yates and McLay suggests we have good reason for hoping to see good results for UK cyclists for a few years to come.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Andrew

« Reply #137 on: 10 July, 2016, 11:18:25 am »
And all the pundits are tipping A Murray of Scotlandshire The Newly Independent Nation of Scotland to win Wmbldn this afternoon.  It's the End Times, I tells 'e!

FT - as they say - FY.

« Reply #138 on: 10 July, 2016, 11:52:42 am »
Quote from: 'Tour Climbs' by Chris Sidwells
The Port de la Bonaigua, is well up in the contenders for the location of wittiest piece of graffiti painted on the road by a bike fan. Usually these are messages to the painter's cycling hero, exhorting him to greater efforts or counselling against getting discouraged, but this one, picked out clearly by the TV helicopter in 1993, read,

"Hello mum, what do you mean I never write?"
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #139 on: 10 July, 2016, 12:32:38 pm »
Just seen the last summit again and Quintana was concentrating on getting a drink rather than what Froome was doing as they went over the top. He threw the bottle pretty sharpish when he saw the attack but it was a bit late then, Froome had gone.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #140 on: 10 July, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »
Just seen the last summit again and Quintana was concentrating on getting a drink rather than what Froome was doing as they went over the top. He threw the bottle pretty sharpish when he saw the attack but it was a bit late then, Froome had gone.

Even then, they probably didn't attack as fast as they should have.  You see some of the riders looking behind themselves, at the other riders, presumably in a "should we respond to this?" way.

Froome isn't particularly known for this sort of attack, but I've certainly seen other riders do it in the past, and as a very serious contender for the GC, they shouldn't let him be getting away with anything.  It's not as though Quintana desperately needs a drink at that point, with only a few minutes to go.  It would make little difference if he did or did not get a water bottle.
Actually, it is rocket science.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #141 on: 10 July, 2016, 01:21:22 pm »
I say, there seem to be some cyclist chappies pedalling on TV. Fancy that!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #142 on: 10 July, 2016, 01:28:56 pm »
Contador just got off.

'Bye, then...'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #143 on: 10 July, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »

Cue Nigel Farage claiming credit for it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #144 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:01:06 pm »
Aaahh yet another numpty spectator ... I'm pretty sure that, that stated they will keep their distance in the future.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #145 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:06:42 pm »
Commentator: "...glorious blue sunshine..."

Quote from C. M. Jenkins, in Colemanballs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #146 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:08:32 pm »
Yeah a bit moist on the finishing line atm, can hear the hail on the roof the commentators.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #147 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:14:47 pm »
Feck me that is going to smart them hails

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #148 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »
Boardman looks pretty unhappy in that tent
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #149 on: 10 July, 2016, 04:34:31 pm »
He's got them! Home time now?
There's always time for a second slice of cake.