Author Topic: Keeping mosquitoes away  (Read 9890 times)

Keeping mosquitoes away
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »
And general other bugs

Taking the eldest monkey to spend a night in the woods with woodland trust. Will be sleeping under shelters and wondering how to keep the bugs away from her face while she's asleep. Do have jungle formula for exposed parts during day but don't want it on her face.

Don't want to go with a full on over bed net as probably wont fit

Suggestion please

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Keeping mosquitoes away
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
Take a chicken wth you?
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:12:15 pm »
I think the chickens would probably end up as tea for a Fox.....,,,or me

dim

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:56:44 pm »
rub a raw onion over your skin

it works .... used to go camping/fishing in south africa where mosquitoes are as big as pigeons  ;)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:11:54 pm »
And general other bugs

Taking the eldest monkey to spend a night in the woods with woodland trust. Will be sleeping under shelters and wondering how to keep the bugs away from her face while she's asleep. Do have jungle formula for exposed parts during day but don't want it on her face.

Don't want to go with a full on over bed net as probably wont fit

Suggestion please
You should've known better than to ask on here.....
Too late now....
G'luck.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
Chemical warfare is the only way, look for the strongest DEET you can find. Bathe, drink and spear it on like you would cream and jam on a scone. And hope that there is a person who will get eaten, even more than yourself by any blood sucking biting bastard's. Sit down wind from the VERY smokey bonfire.

Well that is just me who will get bitten no matter what is done - dancing on one foot, ultrasound screaming key rings, citrus candles you name it - I get bitten. I have sprayed DEET on and had biting bastard's land on me to sample my blood.

Come to think about it I should hire myself out as repellant, tried everything, lost the battle, given up hope of a bite free life and now just accept the loss of blood.
#bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:15:23 pm »
^ This, basically, though it's not so much the blood loss as the subsequent allergic reaction that's a problem.

A tent will keep them out, but you've then got to deal with the ones who follow you into it.  'Sleeping under shelters' sounds suspiciously like being eaten to me.

Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:15:56 pm »
I have yet to try it but apparently THIS STUFF is excellent and I will be giving it a go at the earliest opportunity.  The SAS are reputed to use it!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:48:21 pm »
It's Ok. But it works by drownding the ickle beasts.

Which means having a nice thick barrier of sweet smelling goo on you.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:10:32 am »
It's been a long time since I've slept out without a tent but did it a couple of times during TA training. I don't recall getting particularly bitten, keep light sources as far away as possible and don't switch a torch or mobile phone on every 30 seconds to see what time it is (also stops the enemy shooting at you but I think that's less likely in your case). Those who can't be without their phone will attract moths and other bitey things like, well moths to a light source.

If really worried and don't want the chemical approach perhaps try one of these, hung from the shelter above and tucked under the sleeping mat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Ultralight-Mosquito-Net-Black/dp/B000PBXVIC
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:20:28 am »
^ This, basically, though it's not so much the blood loss as the subsequent allergic reaction that's a problem.
Yes then there is that, swelling, itching and the oozing of stuff from the bite, all good fun ...  ::-)
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 09:25:23 am »
I have yet to try it but apparently THIS STUFF is excellent and I will be giving it a go at the earliest opportunity.  The SAS are reputed to use it!

Works quite well. I have tried it out in the South of France several times. Even worked in the Carmargue. Worked better than the in inlaws proper bug repellent. Not 100% effective but has the advantage of not smelling like a chemistry lab. Very popular with forestry workers in Scotland to ward of the midges apparently.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
    • Bailey
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:39:11 am »
Citronella can be mixed with almond oil for application, but is effective for only a short while. Lavender repels insects too.

Interestingly, it's carbon dioxide that midges home in on. Not much you can do about that though. You've got to breathe!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 10:22:03 am »
Eat at least 6 yeast tablets a day. You then sweat yeast and they don't like that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:48:14 am »
The same can be achieved by spreading your skin with Marmite. This has the advantage of qualifying you for a YACF photo.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 01:05:50 am »
The same can be achieved by spreading your skin with Marmite.
Spreading might stick the little blighters down hard enough that they can't bite, but it's not going to do your clothes or the sleeping bag any good.
You are meant to eat the stuff, on the same lines as Jaded's yeast tablets. A 250g jar over the preceding 3 or 4 weeks should do it, based on midges anyway.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 08:15:16 am »
Ding-dong!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

It's already been mentioned up thread.  I first heard about it from a friend who was a serving Super Army Soldier. It does help stop you being bitten but as Jaded says it's not so much of a repellent as an oily slick that drowns the little biters.

I'd say it is worth using in midge territory, where the alternative is tearing your own skin off, but it does get all over your clothes and is not entirely pleasant to wear.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 08:54:29 am »
At home here, we've found that keeping a fan going on the lowest setting and pointed obliquely at a wall disperses exhaled CO2 & body scent sufficiently to stop the damned things finding us, but doesn't create enough of a draught to be annoying. The IR signature is still there but apparently isn't sufficient for location.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 10:12:32 am »
Chemical warfare is the only way, look for the strongest DEET you can find. Bathe, drink and spear it on

...now just accept the loss of blood.

:o :o :o A bit extreme, no? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16:08 am »
I'm a midge magnet (and mosquiutos as well)  :(  Avon SSS used to be good, but they changed the formula awhile ago and its not as effective.  Only thing I find that works is Smidge for midges.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:50 am »
Can you trap mosquitos like you can tetses?  I suppose you'd need a source of CO2 as bait.

Probably only likely to make a difference indoors.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »
^^^Naturally, I read that as testes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 01:48:53 pm »
Can you trap mosquitos like you can tetses?  I suppose you'd need a source of CO2 as bait.

Probably only likely to make a difference indoors.
You can buy "midge eater" machines. Run from a propane / butane gas cylinder. Usually fairly large, and expensive.
eg https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/outdoor-living/midgeeater/predator-dynamic-midgeater.html

They are quite common outside cafes or beer gardens etc in parts of Scotland. Not sure how well they actually work, and how big an area they cover.