Author Topic: Keeping mosquitoes away  (Read 8574 times)

Re: Keeping mosquitoes away
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
Eat at least 6 yeast tablets a day. You then sweat yeast and they don't like that.

Wouldn't drinking enough beer produce the same effect?
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 09:10:09 pm »
Marmite, as mentioned upthread, but in the more civilised form of a sandwich or drink, may help with the yeast (observed by my OH who works in the forest - he also recommends 'mosiguard' - cream or stick - natural and powerful)

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
The Lifesystems "expedition strength" repellent works on Austrian horseflies (not much else does) so I reckon it would be OK on mozzies.  It contains DEET and doesn't smell too bad.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 09:36:05 pm »
A friend of mine is in Rio. He is using something called Exposis Extreme and reports that he is very happy with its performance.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »
A friend of mine is in Rio. He is using something called Exposis Extreme and reports that he is very happy with its performance.

Sounds like good stuff:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icaridin
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:19 pm »
Avon SSS used to be good, but they changed the formula awhile ago and its not as effective.

Are you sure? I was speaking with the head of international logistics at Avon about this earlier this year. He said that they know it's used as a repellant but can't market it as such without going through a whole bunch of compliance tests.

I certainly worked for me last week in Finland!  ;D Mrs PC decided that she would use a "proper", super strong DEET based product. Guess who got bitten?  O:-)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 05:15:29 pm »
I saw on telly last year a laser anti midge / mossie defense system installed round a  patio area, that was neat.
A cigar works quire well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 08:31:52 am »
WRT Highland midges, the best plan is tour by boat.  Anchored 100m off shore we never saw any midges but going ashore was inadvisable. Midges can get through the finest of gaps.

Back in the day we used a Tilley lamp.  If this was inside the cabin we got mozzies coming to join us.  OTOH if the lamp was placed at the entrance to the cabin they stayed out.
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 09:25:54 am »
When charities try to tackle malaria in tropical countries they they don't faff around with insect repellents. They supply nets. I'd do both. Net as main line of defence, and chemicals as extra precaution.

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »
Have been sloshing myself in Deet whilst in Provence but still bitten to death. Got back to UK and have strange lumps and bumps which are itchy. Mmmmm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 01:22:27 pm »
Avon SSS used to be good, but they changed the formula awhile ago and its not as effective.

Are you sure? I was speaking with the head of international logistics at Avon about this earlier this year. He said that they know it's used as a repellant but can't market it as such without going through a whole bunch of compliance tests.

I too would stand by the Avon product! Found it worked a treat when camping in Cairngorms. Bit left-field, but have also had some joy with those special candles in the past.

Phil W

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »
Used to have mosquito coils when camping in mosquito land. They are slow burning and the smell / smoke they give off keeps the mosquitos away.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:23 pm »
Used to have mosquito coils when camping in mosquito land. They are slow burning and the smell / smoke they give off keeps the mosquitos away.
Ha! thanks for good laugh, if you believe that I got the London Bridge going cheap too :)

Smoking coils, sonic speakers etc. only alert the biting bastards that I'm there and dinner is served for their billion close friends.
#bollockstobrexit

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 02:51:54 pm »

My prefered method of keeping the little biting bastards at bay is a time domain approach to insect protection: aka, camp in winter... alas this is note completely effective if you want to you know, camp in the summer when it's not freezing...

Stupidly Simple insect repellent has worked well for me the summer months when TD approaches won't work. But they do make you smell a bit like a bonfire...

An acceptable tradeoff...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »
An actual bonfire can be pretty decent, too.  No point in being able to breathe properly if the biting bastards are going to steal all my homogoblins, anyway.

I recall one riverside campsite where being downwind of the Trangia kept the gnawing to a just-about-tolerable level, but the swarm descended the nanosecond it was extinguished.  I dived for the tent, squished those who followed and didn't emerge until after midnight.

I suspect that mosquito coils may work in principle, but the practicality of staying within the plume of smoke is such that they're only likely to be effective if you dangle several of them from the brim of your hat.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...