Author Topic: Sticky Radio  (Read 7286 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sticky Radio
« on: 31 July, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »
The erstwhile soft-texture black finish on my PURE DAB kitchen radio is now extremely tacky to the touch.

We have tried cleaning it, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

The air in this kitchen is seldom full of steam or fat and the radio has not had much UV to degrade it.

Re: Sticky Radio
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »
Its the cheap rubberized coating, it decays. I had some binoculars that did the same thing.
Talcum powder applied liberally will help but once it starts going tacky it will continue to do so :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2016, 01:45:48 pm »
They go like that with age.  Scrape it all off, encapsulate it in something to contain the sticky, or buy a new radio.  Like pcolbeck, I have some binoculars that have gone the same way.

The other failure mode is for it to flake off in little flakes that get *everywhere*.  The original (non-MX) Psion 5 was notorious for it.  My Logitech mouse had that problem, but I successfully removed the entire layer by fingernail scraping while watching some film or other.

Only real solution is to eschew high-grip coatings except on gadgets with a service life of a couple of years or so.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2016, 02:03:19 pm »
I'll maybe try to scrape the goo off if ever I get the tuits.
I don't touch this costly pile of FAIL much. I only switch it on at the mains when I do the washing-up in partner's absence. Ot's permanently tuned to Classic fm which he dislikes.
It takes about 15s to warm up as I will not leave it on standby.
It is permanently tuned to Classic fm because it can't get Radio 4 consistently.

I think this digital radio is a big pile of FAIL...

It wasn't cheap.

I bought 5 VHF radios from Dixon's for less and am slowly using these up.
At least they aren't sticky...

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2016, 02:07:07 pm »
The nose-pieces on my Tifosi cycling specs suffer the same fate being, as they are, fabricated from natural rubber.
The good news however, is that spares are available for around £2.99 a pop. As opposed to £60.00 for a pair of new specs.

I'm not quite sure how this happened, but I've ended up with three pairs of the specs anyway. I think may've been something to do with reading something about my model of choice being discontinued, so hunting around and finding a replacement pair.
Then having forgotten that I'd done so......  ::-)

ETA - Reading Helly's posts passim re DAB radio, has contributed in no small way in my not investing in one.
I'll get my BBC6 music fix online while I sit at the pooter, and sadly do without in the kitchen.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2016, 02:17:10 pm »
I can understand why nose-pieces go off; the skin on the nose is very greasy and grease/oil/fat will attack/dissolve rubber.

This radio really has done little to degrade so much; elsewhere in the kitchen:
The wallpaper has discoloured a bit but isn't sticky after an estimated 20 years.
The microwave has discoloured after 10 years but is in twice-daily use with Hot Wet foods.
Little else has degraded much.

« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »
Helly, I think this could be your opportunity to see how good PURE's customer retention service is.
I don't know, and you don't say, how long you've had the radio, but there should be a specific time of how long you can expect the radio to work before it, or it's condition deteriorates.
I'd be calling / writing to them tomorrow.... what've you to lose?
They have your custom to lose - or not.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2016, 03:21:56 pm »
Helly, I think this could be your opportunity to see how good PURE's customer retention service is.
I don't know, and you don't say, how long you've had the radio, but there should be a specific time of how long you can expect the radio to work before it, or it's condition deteriorates.

Thanks!
I've probably had it over 5 years and thrown out the receipt.
Thing still works and PURE have already lost me. There's another, older DAB in the garage, which I think is unreliable when David is working out (I can't go there.)
I only bought digital radios (both from John Lewis) because David said they were good and kept dissing my Matsui VHF jobs which did occasionally fail (But what do you expect for £9.99?)

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:00:00 pm »

Thanks!
I've probably had it over 5 years and thrown out the receipt.
Thing still works and PURE have already lost me. There's another, older DAB in the garage, which I think is unreliable when David is working out (I can't go there.)
I only bought digital radios (both from John Lewis) because David said they were good and kept dissing my Matsui VHF jobs which did occasionally fail (But what do you expect for £9.99?)

This is what you get for £1.58. If you are quick enough...

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:17:51 pm »
Nope no one gets it for that price. HP Noticed the slip up and they are allowed by law not to honor any orders.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:56:19 pm »
The nose-pieces on my Tifosi cycling specs suffer the same fate being, as they are, fabricated from natural rubber.
The good news however, is that spares are available for around £2.99 a pop. As opposed to £60.00 for a pair of new specs.

I'm not quite sure how this happened, but I've ended up with three pairs of the specs anyway. I think may've been something to do with reading something about my model of choice being discontinued, so hunting around and finding a replacement pair.
Then having forgotten that I'd done so......  ::-)

ETA - Reading Helly's posts passim re DAB radio, has contributed in no small way in my not investing in one.
I'll get my BBC6 music fix online while I sit at the pooter, and sadly do without in the kitchen.

Something a bit like this then? (Other brands are available)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ocean-Digital-Internet-Wireless-Multimedia/dp/B00KAUQNU6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1470081125&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Internet+radio&psc=1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.