Author Topic: What books are we writing at the moment?  (Read 5493 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What books are we writing at the moment?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »
Well, Kindle have now delivered a workable but slightly clunky dead tree format, and I spent a couple of hours formatting one of my books, 'Cider Without Roses', which was interesting to write as the narrator is a Norman woman who speaks very good English but delivers it in a notably French way. One thing I enjoyed was translating the swearing literally from the original French.

It has an additional short SF/horror tale which opens "There was a group of children on the street, playing with a dog. As I watched, one of them started to eat it from the tail end."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S.-A.-A.-Calvert/e/B00E9GBM6C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1488224734&sr=8-1
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »
Just finished uploading the manuscript and publishing the latest novel, a bit of a departure for me as it is about a man and written from his point of view. It is very largely set in and around the city of York and features Acaster Malbis.

The title is "A Longer War" by S.A.A. Calvert, and it should make its way through their publishing system in two to three days.

Steph

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »
And again, the book I was writing in parallel is in the publishing pipeline. It is one of the Sussex Border Stories, with the title 'Sisters'. It is a mixture of lesbian romance/relationship story and crime novel. The lead character is a police officer presented with a series of violent assaults to clear up, assaults that are getting steadily worse. A lot of stones are turned over, and sundry vermin revealed.

'Sisters', by S.A.A. Calvert.

Steph

Steph

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »
Bloody hell...just seen a comment from USAnia from a couple of months ago, on 'A Longer War'. Gobsmacked!

"Read this book to meet this good man. And along the way, enjoy a wonderful tale masterfully written.

It took me fifteen hours and a quarter of a box of tissues to read this novel. This is the story of an exceptionally good man. The story was so moving it frequently reduced me to sobbing. Not in sadness but in joy. In another novel, one of Calvert's characters exhorts 'be excellent to one another'. And the protagonist of this novel lives this paradigm to the maximum of his ability.

I have read all (I think) of Calvert's prior work. It is very good. This novel is so far beyond good as to beggar my vocabulary in attempting to describe it. Let me just say this: There is a saying that what can be imagined can be achieved. Calvert has imagined a truly good human being. Let us all strive to achieve her vision. Even if we fall short, the result will be glorious"

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
:thumbsup:
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Steph

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 05:18:33 am »
...and another one published, a police story:

The Job. It's also listed under 'Sussex Border Stories' on Amazon, and I have taken the liberty of dedicating it to three people OTP.

It is set around Cardiff and Barry.

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »

The Job. It's also listed under 'Sussex Border Stories' on Amazon, and I have taken the liberty of dedicating it to three people OTP.

Is it scary?
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steph

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »

Is it scary?
My books get scary in places, as they are real world stuff, or as real as I can make them.  What I concentrate on is the power of love, friendship, family in the broad sense. Both the Dun Run and PBP  make appearances in the set... as well as the FNRttC

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:39 pm »

Is it scary?
My books get scary in places, as they are real world stuff, or as real as I can make them.  What I concentrate on is the power of love, friendship, family in the broad sense. Both the Dun Run and PBP  make appearances in the set... as well as the FNRttC

Currently reading The Longer War.  O:-)
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steph

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 12:48:48 pm »
Have a box of tissues ready. Let me know what you think?

No. Not a box of tissues for that reason, you filthy lot.

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 04:44:14 pm »
Have a box of tissues ready. Let me know what you think?

No. Not a box of tissues for that reason, you filthy lot.

???

/Innocence

Steph

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 07:12:02 pm »
 ;D

Steph

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
Just had a spooky moment. I will place it in a spoiler box for anyone that might want to read the book. Suffice it to say that I picked a crime for my characters to investigate, and selected a location for it to occur in. It is not a common crime. The Beeb have just reported on exactly that crime taking place in EXACTLY the spot I selected.

(click to show/hide)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 02:57:48 pm »
Life imitates art?

(Actually, I hope that not true as I have just finished a story set in a POW camp near Carlisle at the end of a very bloody British civil war.)
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

Steph

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 07:01:36 pm »
,,,and again. I have one book which starts with some pretty dire sexual abuse in a secure 'home', and one of the worst culprits, Charlie Cooper, appears in a couple of later books. I had a very, VERY clear image of his appearance.

THIS is how I saw him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47258310

Steph

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 07:17:01 pm »
That is done, then. Latest book, my 14th, some 179.5K words, is "in review" with Amazon. It is called "Dancing to a New Beat" and follows on from "The Job".

It is a police procedural-cum-romance-cum-Stuff. There is a lot less cycling in this one, but it does include a little bit of climbing, frozz yog, CAIK and BEER.

Should be up on sale in a couple of days, unless they play silly sods with the copyright checks again.

Steph

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »
Out and selling... and I just can't leave things alone.

Four chapters into writing No. 15.