Author Topic: Storm matches  (Read 2235 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
Storm matches
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:05:15 pm »
In a little green box. They claim to be windproof and waterproof. Bollocks! When it's damp enough for ordinary matches not to light, these don't either. They do show more resistance to being blown out by wind than ordinary matches. They also show resistance to being put out deliberately; the top half of the match is dipped in a wax which really doesn't want to be extinguished once it's caught (I had to stamp on them and still left scorch marks on the grass). They're almost completely pointless and at £3 a box, expensively so.

Edit: These http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/highlander-waterproof-storm-matches-d3252057?id_colour=180
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Storm matches
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »
Matches are a rubbish way to start fires (particularly in meths burners) anyway.  Firesteel is my preferred[1] (and admirably waterproof) source of ignition, with a Mk 1 butane lighter as a backup.  You can get a several of butane lighters for £3.

[1] Discounting arcs, lasers, and other exotica.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:45:54 pm »
Matches are pretty good for gas though. Better than fire steel and similar, really, IME at least. But after the failure of the Storm matches, which was Thursday morning (following rapidly on the failure of the ordinary matches), I went to the village shop about five minutes bike ride away and got two cups of tea, one pain au chocolat and an almond croissant, and a lighter. Just a cheap cigarette lighter. It's also somewhat susceptible to wind and temperamental generally (if I was a smoker I suppose I would already have a Zippo or similar) but less damp-susceptible than matches. And I've just two minutes ago ebayed myself an MSR piezo igniter for the price of two anna bit fancy matches. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

It says on the box these Storm matches are made in Bristol, which is slightly disappointing. If we can have the world's largest tobacco manufacturer we could at least have something decent to light them with!
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:01 pm »
I prefer matches too, although I like my steel just because it's something different to use. That said I never use it when brewing or cooking undercover. My tents are cheap, but it's my hair I value.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:25 pm »
Agreed about gas.  My preferred option for that is piezo ignition, or a lighter.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...