Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 35792 times)

Re: London-Wales-London
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2019, 11:19:27 am »

Greggs' receipts don't always name the town where issued (shocking I know).

This is truly terrible news

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:23 am »

They did last year, but even if not, I’m more than happy to get in the queue in the name of research.

« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2019, 11:25:51 am »

They did last year, but even if not, I’m more than happy to get in the queue in the name of research.

I'm pretty sure they didn't... I spent most of the night looking at identical receipts. It's amazing how similar Audaxers' diets are ...

However, I wonder if a photo taken standing outside Gregs with a Cheese and Onion pasty and a pink donut count as Proof of passage...

« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
You can still do some of the A4.
Lambourn to Newbury, A4 to Reading, Play Hatch then Henley.
Slightly longer but much flatter.

I really never found it that hilly at all on return leg ... once climbed Symonds Yat the rest is really fine
It wasn't the climbing that put me off but fast descending in the dark on twisty wet roads likely to have potholes.

Well last year was the best weather possible and found the road surfaces more than manageable

« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »
One advantage of the A4 option is more choices of 24hr garages/McDs.
For example;

329km Shell garage is 24hr
350km (Theale) there  is a 24hr McDs.
384km BP just on the way out of Marlow  is 24hr

S2L

« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2019, 09:23:15 am »

I'm pretty sure they didn't... I spent most of the night looking at identical receipts. It's amazing how similar Audaxers' diets are ...

However, I wonder if a photo taken standing outside Gregs with a Cheese and Onion pasty and a pink donut count as Proof of passage...

As far BRM ratification goes... the control in Tewkesbury is almost immaterial. From googlemaps:

Woodstock to Chepstow avoiding Tewkesbury is 77 miles

Woodstock to Chepstow via Tewkesbury shortest route is 78 miles

If you add the fact that there is an info control between Tewkesbury and Chepstow, it's almost impossible to save meaningful mileage by avoiding Tewkesbury