Author Topic: MSR piezo igniter  (Read 631 times)

MSR piezo igniter
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:04 pm »
I bought this item recently from an ebay outfit called All Outdoor. In fact, they've got it on a non-ebay site too, but for some reason that didn't show up when I was looking initially.
http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/stove-parts-spares-accessories/msr-handheld-piezo-ignitor-for-canister-stove-.htm?opt=19421&gclid=CLqy-NWN1c8CFYVAGwodcdYAHQ#b

It's small, smaller than it looks, which is in fact good cos it means it fits neatly inside a cooking pot. And most importantly, it just works, even on a damp morning.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: MSR piezo igniter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 02:37:06 pm »
That looks good.  I have a long slim one from a cookware shop, but it doesn't fit in the pans.
Getting there...

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »
Looks good.  Much as I love my firesteel for lighting meths, it's a bit hit and miss with gas, so you only usually achieve ignition on the nth try (where n is the time taken for the accumulating thermobaric cloud to reach your eyebrows).
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:27:12 am »
I have one of these, and got it from the same place as you.  If I remember correctly I got mine for free as I had built up some points buying other stuff.  MSR stuff is good without a doubt, but having been a smoker for 27 years, a habit thankfully I have broken, And having had so many piezoelectric lighters fail on me, I would want to carry a backup.  In fact this has become a backup to my Soto lighter, which has an extending nozzle and a jet flame, so there's no need to get too close to the fireball that is the typical multi-fuel stove at ignition.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:55:29 am »
[+1 to this lighter. One of the best camping things I have ever bought. Makes a quick espresso in a bus shelter or around the back of a church a doddle. Far better than a built-in piezo. I use a gas fag lighter as a backup. Do have a firesteel but can't see me using it much.