Author Topic: Ride the Lancashire Lights 200  (Read 2516 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Ride the Lancashire Lights 200
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:41:53 pm »
Just a heads up! I have 52 entries so far. I might have to close entries next week if I reach the limit soon. So if you plan to enter and haven't done so yet I'd advise you to enter within the next week.

Start: Bispham, Lancashire
Date: Sunday 30 October 2016
Time: 07:30 am n.b. clocks go back at 02:00 am

The event starts and finishes in Bispham, Lancashire, the same venue used for the Mille Pennines back in July. There's limited parking available at the start.

The route's a clockwise circuit taking in the Lune Valley; Sedbergh; Garsdale; Hawes; and Bowland before returning to Bispham. Everyone who's entered (online) should by now have received their event info' and route-sheet.

Entry fee is £5 (£5.50 when entering online through Paypal). More information on the event website at: http://burnleyccevents.com/ride-the-lancashire-lights-200/

The Blackpool Illuminations will be on!

Hopefully it won't snow   :D, but then again ..... :-[

Andy Corless
Organiser

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
Re: Ride the Lancashire Lights 200
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:03:00 pm »
Ooh I intend doing this one.  Better get my arse into gear  ;)

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »
Has anybody got a GPX file for this ride that they'd like to share ? :demon: ???
Fat Cyclists Bounce Better !

RibbleRouser

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:26:50 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17138449
hope this is helps, I went off the main road to get past the roadworks thru Lancaster....going along the cycle path...doesn't alter the distance much.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:54:47 pm »
R R - Many thanks - much appreciated, you're a star !   :thumbsup:
Fat Cyclists Bounce Better !

RibbleRouser

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:54:52 am »
Thanks for organising a brilliant event yesterday, good weather and an extra hour the night before, although the weather was probably out of your control.
Cheers, Colin

Andy Corless

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:21:27 pm »
Thanks to all those that entered and took part in the inaugural Ride the Lancashire Lights 200. Better start with the stats:

84 entered
52 started
47 finished

This was a 208 km route; heading north-east from Bispham, Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales. The weather couldn't have been much better for the time of year and most riders seemed to enjoy the day out, with just the 1 reportable accident.

Below is a collection of photo's from the event:

Blackpool Clarion riders awaiting the off

Riders setting off

Riders approaching Sedbergh

Riders arriving at Sedbergh

Paul Worthington arriving at Sedbergh

Daniel Piercy arriving at Sedbergh

Dave Garner arriving at Sedbergh

Isabel Rennie arriving at Sedbergh

Riders arriving at Sedbergh

Arriving at Sedbergh

Phil Cunningham arrives back at Bispham

Tri Preston riders at the finish

The date for next year's event has been set for Sunday 22 October 2017.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Andy Corless

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »
The date for this year's event is Sunday 22 October 2017. Starting and finishing in Bispham, Lancashire, at the same venue used for the Mille Pennines back in July. Free parking will be available at the start for the duration of the event. Free breakfast, typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice also available at the start. Light refreshments, typically sandwiches & cakes etc available at the finish. Also included in entry fee.

The route's a clockwise circuit taking in the Lune Valley; Sedbergh; Garsdale; Hawes; and Bowland before returning to Bispham.

Entry fee is £5 (£5.50 when entering online through Paypal). More information on the event website at: http://burnleyccevents.com/ride-the-lancashire-lights-200/

AUK website page: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-292/

Route-sheet and event information is being sent to entrants by the end of this week. GPS track here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17138449

For rider comments see the rest of the thread!

The Blackpool illuminations will be on (when it's dark!)

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 04:30:44 pm »
The date for this year's event is Sunday 21 October 2018. Starting and finishing in Bispham, Lancashire, at the same venue used for the Mille Pennines back in July. Free parking will be available at the start for the duration of the event. Free breakfast, typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice also available at the start. Light refreshments, typically sandwiches & cakes etc available at the finish. Also included in entry fee.

The route's a counter-clockwise circuit taking in the Forest of Bowland; Lancashire fells; Yorkshire Dales & the Lune Valley before finishing off with the Fylde!

Entry fee is £6.  More information on the event website at: http://burnleyccevents.com/ride-the-lancashire-lights-200/

AUK website page: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-292/

Route-sheet and event information has already been e-mailed to all entrants.

For rider comments see the rest of the thread!

The Blackpool illuminations will be on (when it's dark!)

I've had some enquiries as to whether this event counts as a PBP pre-registration ride. The answer is yes (see below)!

**As the ACP season runs from 01 November - 31 October, this event counts as a PBP pre-registration ride, so for those completing the event if this 200 is the only/longest BRM event ridden during 2018, they'll be able to pre-register for next year's PBP as early as 11th March 2019.**

This 200 is the only 200 km BRM event in the AUK calendar during the month of October!

Andy Corless

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:18:42 am »
As a Sarf Londoner who really doesn't know this part of the country, I only had the vaguest idea where the ride goes, so I have created a GPX at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28739216. No liability if it deviates from the route given by the routesheet! If the weather is even halfway decent, looks like a great ride.

I could not spot any convenience store en-route after Sedberg, with a 79K stage back to base, so I guess it's a case of buying a bap or two in Seberg.
My events: 17th Feb 2019 Willesden Reliability;  6th Apr 2019 3Down London - New Forest; 30th Jun 2019 2 Audaxes from Maidenhead;

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 05:31:32 pm »
I could not spot any convenience store en-route after Sedberg, with a 79K stage back to base, so I guess it's a case of buying a bap or two in Seberg.

There's a snack bar at Kirby Lonsdale and at Caton, both very popular with motor bikers and you'll be sharing the road with these guys.  These are likely to stay open only until about 4ish.  I've used the Co-op at Caton, on the right before the left turn to Quernmore, and that's open until 10pm.

I've always avoided Andy's rides - nothing personal Andy but I find the AAA points on offer not suitable for my abilities.  But this is one I could manage, and enjoy.  Very similar to the Northern Dales from Arnside which is on the limit of what I can do comfortably.  Unfortunately I'm off the bike at the moment, but this is on my to-do list.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 05:53:52 pm »
It's worth knowing that the large Spar opposite the school in Sedbergh is the main shop in the area, and there isn't much on the main street now.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 12:11:30 pm »
Good to know thanks - will be attempting this one for the first time next weekend (weather permitting - hopefully will be a lot better than this weekend!)

I know Andy sent out a route sheet a week or so ago and I've plotted a GPX as best as I could from it - but does anyone have a GPX of the latest route I can double check mine with - bit worried might have sent myself down a busier road or a bigger climb than I should have?