Author Topic: Comeuppance?  (Read 6115 times)

Comeuppance?
« on: 15 February, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »
Today I had to stay chained to my PC.  Too much work on y'see.   My stoker went out solo.   On one country lane she encountered a ford, a very very full and flowing ford.   We've never seen it flowing before - it's usually just a trickle.  A quick pee behind the hedge would usually raise more flow.   However, I digress.   Stoker decided to turn back and retrace.   

Just round the corner on this narrow country lane a car was approaching.  Stoker waved to try and warn the driver of the hazard.  the car stopped, the door opened and a woman delivered a stream of foul and abusive vitriol.  Us cyclists are all fucking inconsiderate bastards giving the finger to all poor defenceless motorists don't you know?    ???

Slammed door and went round bend with foot planted ...

We don't actually know what happened next, but, the car never passed stoker whilst retracing.  A cycle of at least five minutes.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Comeuppance?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »
Well let's hope she drowned. Or maybe that is a bit harsh, but definitely got wet feet.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »
Oh no, let's hope she survived but watched her car get swamped.

Anyone remember the photo of the Ford in the ford a couple of years ago at the old place?

Our road today went through that ford, although I don't think anyone was silly enough to ride through it. There's a raised footbridge as an alternative.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »
It is most likely that the car will have swamped if she tried to enter the ford.   

I hope she realised the problem and her hasty foolishness, then sat there contemplating her embarrassment rather than entering the ford.   

Hackbike 6

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:43:15 pm »
Doesn't surprise me they are so uptight.I'd let them get on with it. O:-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:45:24 pm »
 My stoker went out solo.   

How did she steer?  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Hackbike 6

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:46:16 pm »

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:48:25 pm »
Remember Bill Oddie solo on the Goodies' triplet? Backseat driver.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
Back when I first got a bike and was blissfully unaware that I was meant to hate motorists, I was riding into town on one of those steamingly hot September days you sometimes get.  A car sped past me down the Essex Road, narrowly missing me, and a few yards later the small child in the back chucked a stuffed toy out the open window.  I picked it up, and caught them at one of the numerous lights down there, and leant over to the passenger window where I was treated to a mouthful of abuse from the good lady passenger, no doubt spawner of the childhood obesity crisis in the back of the car. 

She did have the good grace to look flustered when I managed to get a word in edgeways and told her I wasn't actually moaning about their pisspoor driving, I was returning the stuffed animal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:55:19 pm »
;D Priceless. ;D
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
She did have the good grace to look flustered when I managed to get a word in edgeways and told her I wasn't actually moaning about their pisspoor driving, I was returning the stuffed animal.

And where was the animal stuffed after you'd finished? :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:58:14 pm »
Years ago, when I was walking along somewhere in Camden, I saw a smallish bundle of notes drop out of a blokes trouser pocket - I picked them up, chased after him and said "Excuse me mate, you..."

I didn't get any further than that as he turned and shouted "What the FUCK do you want?"

"Nothing"  I said.  "Nothing at all".

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2009, 10:08:44 pm »
Years ago, when I was walking along somewhere in Camden, I saw a smallish bundle of notes drop out of a blokes trouser pocket - I picked them up, chased after him and said "Excuse me mate, you..."

I didn't get any further than that as he turned and shouted "What the FUCK do you want?"

"Nothing"  I said.  "Nothing at all".

So, how much did you get?

And can I have it back, please?

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2009, 10:09:54 pm »
Back when I first got a bike and was blissfully unaware that I was meant to hate motorists, I was riding into town on one of those steamingly hot September days you sometimes get.  A car sped past me down the Essex Road, narrowly missing me, and a few yards later the small child in the back chucked a stuffed toy out the open window.  I picked it up, and caught them at one of the numerous lights down there, and leant over to the passenger window where I was treated to a mouthful of abuse from the good lady passenger, no doubt spawner of the childhood obesity crisis in the back of the car. 

Was it a bit like this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZosfJ-E-XCE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZosfJ-E-XCE&rel=1</a>

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »
I've screamed abuse at a motorist who was beeping and gesticulating at me. What I didn't realise straight away was that they were trying to let me know that my rear light wasn't on. Luckily they persisted and, after getting the message into my thick skull, I was able to apologise and thank them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2009, 02:32:24 pm »
I've posted this before......but.....
Leaving work I come out on the top level of the airport, where there is no access to private vehicles, just buses and one particular taxi firm. The drop off/pick up point is two floors down at ground level. There are usually folk milling around on the upper level wondering where their meeters are. I came out of work the other day and saw a woman on her mobile, and from the conversation I could hear she was one of those people who had got the wrong level. So I spoke:
"Excuse me, I couldn't help overhearing, I work here and if it's someone meeting you in a car you need to go down to ground level"
"Can't you ****ing see I'm on the ****ing phone you ****ing ignorant ****? Why don't you just **** off you **** and mind your own ****ing business? ****!!"

I hope she's still there.....

boudinnoirsurvélo

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2009, 02:41:16 pm »
It never got as far as being shouted at, but one morning I was riding into work and noticed that the fuel 'cap' on a bus was flung open (it was like a ruddy big door at the back). I didn't want to push it shut, knowing that only the final bit of the act would be noticed and someone would immediately think I was tampering, so I rode up to the window when he stopped for some passengers and knocked. He turned round with a look of thunder and superiority on his face that he really didn't know what to do with when I told him what was wrong.

It's one of the benefits of being on a bike that you can be a little more human. Filtering past one queue of traffic a stone kicked off from under my tyre and hit a car door. In a car this happens all the time with other traffic, but again, knowing that coming from a cyclist it would elicit a different response, I stopped, checked for damage, asked the (now worried looking) girl to wind down her window and explained that it had just been a stone and there wasn't a mark on the door. A little further on she gave me looooooooaaaads of room in passing me.

I don't give the finger, I think that's just dropping to the same level. Moral high ground is easier to enjoy if it has been honestly earned. And I always feel better and less stressed arriving at my destination having not resorted to shouting...

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2009, 03:13:27 pm »
I try really really hard nowadays not to be abusive, and always give the kind and friendly response.  It so often disarms motons and leads to a positive incident, and it's about teh only way you have any chance of encouraging them to learn from their mistake.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.