Author Topic: LEL Entry  (Read 69688 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
LEL Entry
« on: 28 May, 2008, 05:00:58 pm »
Sorry if I'm duplicating here, but...

Not 100% decided but I'd very much like to enter LEL 2009.  I would ideally like to wait and see how I go in this weekend's 300Km and also get a 600 under my belt - plus I'm completely skint  :-[

However, I cannot seem to find any usable contact details to make enquiries to.  I've tried the contact email address on the site, but all it does is bounce.

Has anyone any ideas or alternative contact details I could have?
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Re: LEL Entry
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:50:37 pm »
There is a snail mail address listed on the AUK calendar at:
http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-2

Nothing more useful than that I'm afraid.  I'm sure somebody else will be able to PM you a phone number or e-mail addy...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:54:19 pm »
It's a bit early to worry too much anyway.  Over a year away - you could just enter early next  year in the normal way that you enter any audax.  It's unlikely to fill up, and if it started getting that way we'd hear about it I'm sure.

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:57:55 pm »
Just been on to Mel, try  lel@luxton.f9.co.uk  seconded on what MV says. Mel is banking cheques in batches.

Damon.

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:13:21 pm »
Thank you Andy, that is certainly a step forward from where I was.  I didn't think of looking on the AUK website! Doh!  It still mentions on the website that an address will be posted "shortly" - I guess not.

MV and Damon, thanks for that comment, that was one of my main worries, i.e. filling up and missing out on an entry.  But if everyone feels that it's not likely to happen, then that would certainly put my mind at rest and I'll stop worrying!

Ta very much all...
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:34:47 pm »
I've desperatly tried to get in touch with Mel, for a confirmation,
but all attempts have failed.
I've tried 3 different email addresses but no responce.  :(

G

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:32:52 pm »
Thank you Andy, that is certainly a step forward from where I was.  I didn't think of looking on the AUK website! Doh!  It still mentions on the website that an address will be posted "shortly" - I guess not.

MV and Damon, thanks for that comment, that was one of my main worries, i.e. filling up and missing out on an entry.  But if everyone feels that it's not likely to happen, then that would certainly put my mind at rest and I'll stop worrying!

Ta very much all...

I'd echo what Mr. Volio says. There's absolutely no reason to panic at this stage. Just concentrate on quietly and steadily building up your distance.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:10:55 pm »
I'd echo what Mr. Volio says. There's absolutely no reason to panic at this stage. Just concentrate on quietly and steadily building up your distance.

I agree there's no need to panic, but I don't think it gives a very good impression, or instills a lot of confidence if the website for what is after all billed as "The International flagship event of Audax UK" hasn't been updated since last September, and the organiser seems to be incommunicado.  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:40:23 pm »
There was a big thread at the old place before we left. LEL 2009 - Just sent my deposit off - Page 1

Really Ancien

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:19:33 pm »
I've flagged up this thread to Mel, promotion of LEL started early to include PBP, there's bound to be a bit of a lull after that. I'm just starting to think about preparations for the DVD in terms of reworking material from 2005 for a trailer for the ride for the Semaine Federale.
An Italian rider has announced his intention to ride on the Sport 606 forum BBC - 606 -  - A30926315 - London-Edinburgh-London. There are a limited number of places.

Damon.

frere yacker

« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:26:43 pm »
Some people who have pre-booked will no doubt decide not to do it.

I am not entirely committed to doing the ride (love the Northern half, the Southern half not so much) but in a moment of weakness sent off my deposit.  I may ultimately decide to do something else as I've done LEL before - maybe LEJOG, something overseas or one of the longer UK (esp. Scottish) permanents.  All up in the air and I'll decide when the balance of the deposit falls due.

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:30:04 pm »
One of the responses to the BBC 606 comment mentions an entry list, where is this ? Is the chap getting confused with 2005 ?

Really Ancien

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:32:49 pm »
One of the responses to the BBC 606 comment mentions an entry list, where is this ? Is the chap getting confused with 2005 ?
You've got me there.

Some people who have pre-booked will no doubt decide not to do it.

Mel's built in a 10% DNS into her budget calculations, and the number of entries she is taking.

Damon.

« Reply #13 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:20:28 pm »
mmm. I am tempted to do something silly in 2009. LEL 2009 would fit the bill. How late can I leave it to put an entry in? I see the fee cannot be refunded and there are many things that could go wrong during the preparation... What is your advice?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:30:44 pm »
mmm. I am tempted to do something silly in 2009. LEL 2009 would fit the bill. How late can I leave it to put an entry in? I see the fee cannot be refunded and there are many things that could go wrong during the preparation... What is your advice?

No rush. I bet there will still be places in a year's time.

One advantage to entering now is that you'd have made the commitment, and it would be something to motivate you to keep you legs turning over the winter.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:48:16 am »

This from the man who said there'd be no problem getting into the PBP campsite without a reservation ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:50:29 pm »
entering now gives me 12 months to shift enough weight.

i just need to keep it off over that crucial hibernation period december - march rather than bulking up on nuts and dried fruit...

« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:01:07 pm »

This from the man who said there'd be no problem getting into the PBP campsite without a reservation ;D

Which indeed was no problem. although I used the back entrance

« Reply #18 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:52:18 pm »
Mrs N approves me riding LEL2009 and even said it was a good idea. :o

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:58:26 pm »

I think, you'll find, Your Honour Worship, that I said that it hadn't been a problem in the past, but added.

That was 4 years ago. Who knows what has changed in the meantime.

Anyway, I made sure I booked. Just like I've already entered LEL 2009.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »
I'm not sure yet if I will do LEL or MGM

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:06:53 pm »

MGM?

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:46:29 pm »

MGM?

Madrid - Gijon - Madrid

It's possible to do both, Richard Leon has done this in 2005.

« Reply #24 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:11:36 pm »

MGM?

Madrid - Gijon - Madrid

It's possible to do both, Richard Leon has done this in 2005.

I would do the LEL. If it wasn't the same weekend as the Mersey 24.
Again! ???
I'm considering helping at Gamlingay, but not sure yet.