Author Topic: Portmahomack 400  (Read 9504 times)

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
Portmahomack 400
« on: 11 March, 2011, 11:16:48 am »
Anyone want to share transport to this from Edinburgh area? Going up Friday and coming back Sunday (when recovered). I tried to book my bike on the train but no luck.

Re: Portmahomack 400
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »
We might as well start anticipating this one. The route is much as in this film.

Except that we continue along the North Coast, turn right down to Kinbrace, back down to Altnaharra and on to Crask Inn and home.

I wrote a ride report about the loneliness of the long distance cyclist on the road to Crask after last year.
Achtung! Lammer auf der strasse. Durness Duress 300. 2010

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2011, 06:24:53 pm »
Anyone want to share transport to this from Edinburgh area? Going up Friday and coming back Sunday (when recovered). I tried to book my bike on the train but no luck.
tentatively considering it, would be up for sharing transport if so. yhpm.

Bairn Again

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »
Im very much looking forward to my first ever Steve Carroll audax.

Almost defintely not driving there or back which is nice.

And Im camping too which is another first for me viz a vis an audax event.  Will have to get some practice putting the tent up as I'm normally a ham fisted buffoon when it comes to putting a tent up.   

Im thinking this will be a sloooow one for me. 

All very exciting.   

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
Im very much looking forward to my first ever Steve Carroll audax.

Almost defintely not driving there or back which is nice.

And Im camping too which is another first for me viz a vis an audax event.  Will have to get some practice putting the tent up as I'm normally a ham fisted buffoon when it comes to putting a tent up.   

Im thinking this will be a sloooow one for me. 

All very exciting.   

It will be a slow one if you want to wait for a lift back down the road.   ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »
I'm not sure if I approve of this camping idea. It means you'll miss out on the snoring competition in the hall. Surely it's unsporting to start a 400 without the normal level of snoring induced sleep deprivation!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Bairn Again

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2011, 09:51:09 pm »
Given my podium finish in the snoring competition en route to and in Germany last year, my camping plan is intended as an honourable move - surely be a blessing for les autres and will ensure y'all sleep like babies in the hall.   O:-)  ;)

The sacrifices I make......

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »
What are people's plans for arriving/eating on Friday?

Bairn Again

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »
No fixed plans but I estimate that myself and Eck should arrive about 6pm then theres tents to be put a tent up, bike faffing etc..

I have never been to Portmahomack before so know nowt about where is good or not, but would definitely be looking to get dinner somewhere beyond the confines of my wee tent probably about 7pm.       

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »
G, I'm liking the look of the Castle Hotel you mentioned in your PM,  especially if their local rock band is playing - The Dreadful Grate.  ::-) ;D

xrtim, you'll be fine: they sell Stella.  :thumbsup:

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »
I'm planning on leaving home about 3pm and travelling up with Phil and Tobias. Don't know what the eating options are in Portmahomack so current intention is to stop for Pizza etc in Inverness or thereabouts. If we make good time up the road might just eat near the start. Will probably bring a few bottles of beer for an impromptu street party before I bed down in the hall.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
I'm staying in the castle hotel fri night.train to fearn 2210 so s should get there about 2245.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »
So, Castle Hotel, 7pm for, oh, whenever?  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:34:53 pm »
OK

Bairn Again

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2011, 06:23:56 pm »
Totally fantastic event and weekend.

Wind assisted first leg had most of us at Overscaig (85k) well under 3 hours then still fast to Durness where it all changed.  From "evens" + on leg 1 to well under 10mph for the next 85k where the headwind and hills has us all toiling and even the mild mannered were cursing.  Sub 4 hrs for the first 100k including a stop then over 6 hrs for the next 100!

The sustainence at Strathy was perfecvtly timed and the change of direction soon thereafter for the evening stretch was welcome as was a shandy at the "secret control" at Forsinard Hotel.  After a cracking stretch over the flow country it was onwards and up up up to Crask for more warmth grub and tlc followed by a chilly final leg back to HQ at 4am.  

Overall it was tough but very enjoyable.  Thanks to Steve and Denise (and their team) for the tremendous organisation both at HQ and beyond including my seaside campsite which was fab.  Falling asleep just before 5am this morning in my wee tent with the sun coming up and the sound of the waves lapping on the shore was simply unforgettable.

While I rode some of the event alone the company of valkyrie, eck, pingu, otherdave as well as the honorary Scot Andew Sinclair from VC167 and Phil T (local rider who ended up on single speed after a rear mech catastrophe) was most enjoyable especially on the final dark chilly leg back to HQ where Steve was there again in kitchen 24 hours later.

My 1st "Steve" audax and it lived up to its top billing.  Hope its not my last.

Brunch at the Chefs Grill at Newtonmore on the way home with the Angus mob was the cherry on the cake!  

Marvellous.            

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »
Y L G's post sums it up perfectly. The run out to Laxford Bridge was probably the most enjoyable few hours I've ever had on a bicycle - flying along in a bunch, all chatting away and enjoying the sunshine and fantastic scenery. We knew we'd pay for it later, but I don't think anyone realised just how high the price would be! Slogging back along the North Coast road into the headwind was a very trying experience - a relentless succession of hills and a constant headwind made it extremely hard work. The control at Strathie was very welcome, not just for how well Denise looked after us but also just for the knowledge that we were about to change direction and get some flatter terrain. Kinbrace to Crask gave some great cycling with a gentle tailwind and fine views of the sun setting over Ben Hope. Once the sun was down the temperature fell quite rapidly, so when Eck punctured Pingu and I waited for him in the comfort of an old red phone box. Great food and a welcome rest at Crask before a pleasant final leg back to the finish. Steve was up all night dishing out freshly cooked omlettes and it was great to sit for a wee while and eat before shower and sleeping bag beckoned.

Big thankyou to Steve & Denise :thumbsup: Hopefully next time the wind will blow in the right direction!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »
Superb. Thanks to Steve, the ladies at strathy and all the other controls, very accommodating, especially crask inn which was wonderful. Very fast to durness. Character building along north coast but very scenic. Very ' out there' on B road kinbrace to syre.
Saw lots of deer, especially round altnaharra.

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »
Saw lots of deer, especially round altnaharra.

That'll have been the deer farm at Altnaharra.

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
Just looked at my GPS -

Portmahomack to Laxford Bridge - Average Speed 31kmh  ;D
Durness to Strathy -                  Average Speed 13kmh  :sick:

« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:09:37 am »
Stars of the show were Steve, Denise and the other helpers. Echo what's been said about the contrast in speed going north and then east. I was reminded of cycling abroad as drivers were appreciative of our efforts. Lovely quiet roads,beautiful scenery and lots of strong young men to sit behind and chat too when I had the breath. Neil also provided a safe comfortable drive both ways. The Portmahomack Hall Snorathon was pretty feeble though and no awards were made.

« Reply #20 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:35:13 am »
One more giving a big thumbs up for this event  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, this was my fourth time visiting the far flung reaches of the north and every time the weather has been great  8), all the better for enjoying the scenery
As mentioned already the wind was a bit ‘sticky’ at times  :'( but as the day wore on the wind very kindly dropped for the last leg home  :)

My only little gripe  :( was the first control where due to the strong tail wind we arrived about 20 mins earlier than expected, the hotel were not ready for us and said we had to wait the 20mins with not even the offer of a coffee while we waited, unlike the Crask Inn   :thumbsup: who were more than accommodating to all the cyclists – a true gem in the this remote part of the world

Cheers
Roberto

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #21 on: 02 May, 2011, 10:11:58 am »
Thanks to Steve , Denise and co for Fantastic hospitality and organisation.
For me this was a tour of the most northerly of Scottish Mountains in all thier splendour.
Firstly Ben More Assynt on the approch to Overscraig then round Foinaven and the climb up to reveal Ben Hope. The views of Kilibreck from Loch Naver after sunset were stunning.

Then the "Beasties" , previously mentioned , at Altnaharra down at the river for thier evening drink, they moved up over the road annoyed that we had disturbed thier space.
I have forgotten the difficult parts of the ride already.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22 on: 02 May, 2011, 03:43:21 pm »
I have forgotten the difficult parts of the ride already.

My legs are reminding me today  :-X

« Reply #23 on: 02 May, 2011, 04:21:30 pm »
Great ride as I have come to expect from Steve and Denise. They have some of the best scenery to play with and we certainly climbed a lot of it. Most confused to find an Elgin CC top laid out in the hall when Mark and I arrived. All ECC entrants (we thought) were accounted for, turns out Jimmy Boyd enjoyed our tales so much he entered secretly to check if we were telling the truth. He certainly got his moneys worth and a stock of tales of his own to relate over the coming years.:D
Completed less than 10km before a rear spoke broke, but "Exit Stage Left" of this parish came up with a spoke key the correct size :thumbsup: having left mine on the workmate during the week :facepalm:. 31 spokes survived the rest of the weekend ok.
Animals as related above, plus geese and sheep on the road at Syre and a heron fighting the wind near Tounge.
Slight temperature drop was noticed on the return south especially whilst fixing Marks p*nct*r* by torchlight near Altnahara. Back at Portmahomack, sleep claimed me within seconds of lying down and again for an hour and a half at the picnic area north of the Kessock bridge on the ride home.
720km total in 58 hours door to door - must ride faster or sleep/eat less!

« Reply #24 on: 02 May, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »
Good job ESL wasn’t conducting any interviews on the road along the north coast.

It certainly wouldn’t have been fit for You Tube and would need an 18+ ‘contains very strong language’ tag. Actually, my own vocabulary was pretty much reduced to one, rather short, word :-X.

I enjoyed the most of the remaining 300km, though.

Thanks for organising the event and your support during my first 400.

EC