Author Topic: UPVC window handle issue fix?  (Read 776 times)

UPVC window handle issue fix?
« on: 02 November, 2023, 12:45:33 pm »
The handle has just pulled off...  Any ideas of a good DIY fix?  Does it look like a standard handle / replacements available?   Thoughts? 

PXL_handle1 by ao, on Flickr

PXL_handle2 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: UPVC window handle issue fix?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2023, 12:52:07 pm »
This might do.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-P-YWHLCK40N-WH-Universal-Lockable-suitable/dp/B004J341N6    I've replaced a few of mine with them.

You'll need a Phillips screwdriver, something to pry the old screw cover off & a hacksaw to cut the shank of the new one to size.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2023, 01:22:13 pm »
Thanks for the link.  May perform some handle surgery to see what's come adrift.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2023, 01:30:23 pm »
Yep, as andrewc says, looks like a standard handle (some are chiral, some are universal).  There's a screw under the cover on the left.  I've replaced a several of our landlord-quality handles with Wilko's finest as they've failed.  If you're not having to pick the broken lock with a spudger, you're winning.

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2023, 01:35:42 pm »
Thx.

Surgery performed.  It looks like the square section bar is literally just pressed into the handle during manufacture assembly, relying on the bar being slightly larger that the handle recess into which it goes - so it holds together.  The handle channel wears with use and the bar pops out.  Wondering if 'araldite' will be a worthwhile fix - epoxy it into submission, before buying a new one.  Gonna buy & try...

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:12:15 pm »
Replacement handles are inexpensive and very simple to replace. Screwfix. Rather than having to cut any metal just use the old bar/screws.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:33:27 pm »
Of course, once you've replaced the broken handle the others won't match........ :-D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2023, 04:59:48 pm »
Well, job's a good'un, apparently.  Ordered one of those Yale handles* which had a 20mm bolt length option - so no hacksawing involved.  Looks fine- in a cloakroom so the only handle of it's type in the room.   ;) 

* https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B095YXXCQK?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

ETA.  Interestingly, if I open link in a Private browser window (no prior cookies) price is -30% deal  £3.85, if I log in, 'my price' is £5.90...