Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 5399 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Board Games
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:40:38 pm »
We are playing Ticket To Ride and Pingu is assembling a rail related playlist...

This oughter keep you entertained for an hour or Several:

(click to show/hide)

May contain more than one version of the same choon; I ent checked ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:43:53 pm »
Have you set the relevant album artist tags to 'His Bobness'?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:47:49 pm »
We are playing Ticket To Ride and Pingu is assembling a rail related playlist...

This oughter keep you entertained for an hour or Several:

(click to show/hide)

May contain more than one version of the same choon; I ent checked ;D

Of those, these were on it:

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry   His Bobness
Lonely Train   Explosions In The Sky
Train   Goldfrapp

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:54:22 pm »
Have you set the relevant album artist tags to 'His Bobness'?

No, just the “Genre” ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #29 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:15:04 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:58:47 am »
Chattanooga Choo-Choo

« Reply #31 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:15:09 pm »
Vince Dicola - Training Montage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9FyTiq3SA   :)

jwo

« Reply #32 on: 03 April, 2024, 05:41:39 pm »
*Attempts to re-rail this derailed thread*

Have been playing Brass Lancashire recently. Great fun. I thought it might be too hardcore Eurogame for my liking but it's less demanding than it initially looks. It has an element of Ticket to Ride in that you lay canals and railways to make important connections and other players can thwart your network with their own lines. But more interesting and subtle than TtR.

« Reply #33 on: 03 April, 2024, 09:43:47 pm »
We played Brass Birmingham recently. It's very good, though at the time I got a little annoyed that the rules changed when it goes from the canal age to the train age. In hindsight that's kind of the point, it's a very well-designed game and I look forward to playing it again.

On the topic of well-designed games, we've been playing Heat lately. On the face of it, it's very simple: drive your car round the track, slowing down for the bends. Brake or change gear too hard, you overheat and have to slow down. Weather means you need to change tactics, and not being in front can help if you time it right. All in all, very clever and great to play.

At the other end of the scale, Skull is a kind of poker with beer mats. Apparently invented by some bikers sitting at a table with a bunch of actual beer mats. £20 seems like a lot to pay for a small box of beer mats, but the game is excellent.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

jwo

« Reply #34 on: 12 June, 2024, 08:02:42 pm »
Currently enjoying playing Pax Pamir. I don't think I've ever become so immersed in the world created by a board game as I have about this one. Set in the 1820's Afghanistan region it turns conventional themes of colonialism in board games on its head. Two imperial powers (Britain and Russia) and an emerging Afghanistan coalition vie for power in the region, but 'we' play locals, who attempt to shape these powers for our own goals.

The game itself is gorgeous  - cloth 'board', wooden and clay pieces and (in my edition at least) accurate metal facsimiles of Rupee coins. It's a little towards the more complex in terms of mechanics, but what makes it stand out for me is the subtle integration of mechanic and theme. No surprise perhaps as the design is byCole Wherle and this one took him 3 years or so to design it.

I liked this podcast as a perspective on the game's design and where it reinforces and challenges the historical narrative of the so-called "Great Game" and this essay by Cole Wehrle provides an interesting account of its graphic design.

« Reply #35 on: 14 June, 2024, 11:17:29 am »
We used to play a game called 'Diplomacy' in my teens. Elder brother won every game. He probably would still :(  Father never played, it would have been too much like work, perhaps.

Invented in the fifties, it replicates Europe pre-1914, and now there is an online version that is supposed to work well.
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #36 on: 14 June, 2024, 11:42:10 am »
there's a board games group in the village thay meets through winter, I've discovered I prefer games which don't make it directly obvious who's winning, possibly because it keeps my competitiveness in check.

Nova Luna is a favourite as is Metro, the variations on tetris like patchwork and isle of cats too.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 14 June, 2024, 12:25:53 pm »
We used to play a game called 'Diplomacy' in my teens. Elder brother won every game. He probably would still :(  Father never played, it would have been too much like work, perhaps.

Invented in the fifties, it replicates Europe pre-1914, and now there is an online version that is supposed to work well.

It is an astonishingly Machiavellian game. You cannot win unless you double cross. Such fun!
It is simpler than it looks.