Author Topic: Bristol!? Eh!?  (Read 5265 times)

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
Re: Bristol!? Eh!?
« Reply #25 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:35:32 pm »
That would also rule out Bedford, Luton (sort of), Leyland, Oxford, Cambridge, Plymouth and anywhere along the Humber.

Be great if they ruled out Luton.

Every single lick of green paint in the Town has made the road it's on less safe.

I'd be happy if they didn't spend another single penny on farcilities.

vince

« Reply #26 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:55:30 pm »
*although yer average Oxbridge-reject Bristol student probably has a new car purchased by the Bank of Mummy and Daddy.

Oi! I cycled  >:(

'til my bike got nicked :(

« Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2008, 11:19:03 am »
I commute in Bristol, which is by far the easiest way to get around this very congested city.

I wonder how much of the reported 23 million, will be spent on educating car / bus drivers to the dangers cyclists have to undertake whilst sharing the roads with them.

Whilst I'm on the subject will, dedicated cycle lanes still stop at
  i)  traffic lights
 ii)  Busy junctions
iii)   narrow passages of road

An aside from this the picture in the BBC News clip shows a stalwart of Bristol cycling, Roy Williams, who still cycles as much as possible, he recently passed his 80th birthday and rides every week with the Bristol Thursday Old Time Cyclists, who usually cycle 40 - 50 miles !

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:07:52 pm »
*although yer average Oxbridge-reject Bristol student probably has a new car purchased by the Bank of Mummy and Daddy.

It's funny, isn't it, that although allegedly full of posh toffs in boaters who live a life of unimpeded luxury and have access to Daddy's Bentley - Oxford and Cambridge are the two cities in which utility cycling is the norm.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:12:11 pm »

It's funny, isn't it, that although allegedly full of posh toffs in boaters who live a life of unimpeded luxury and have access to Daddy's Bentley - Oxford and Cambridge are the two cities in which utility cycling is the norm.

I just know some very obnoxious Bristol students  ;)  Mind you, central Oxford and Cambridge aren't exactly designed for the motor car, so there's little point having one.  Bristol has a lot of 1960s "raze it to the ground and build a few flyovers" town planning.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kathy

« Reply #30 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:14:51 pm »

I just know some very obnoxious Bristol students  ;)  Mind you, central Oxford and Cambridge aren't exactly designed for the motor car, so there's little point having one.  Bristol has a lot of 1960s "raze it to the ground and build a few flyovers" town planning.

Cambridge students aren't (or weren't seven years ago) allowed to keep cars - the university wisely realised that there was not going to be room for 20,000 extra cars in a tiny mediaeval city, and only issues a small number of permits to societies or people with exceptional circumstances.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 23 June, 2008, 06:39:03 am »
BRISTOL'S CYCLING PLANS

Create the UK's first on-street bike rental network
I thought a similar scheme had already got the go ahead in London?

Don't know about Bristol students being more likely to own cars than those in other places, though certainly the car parks at university buildings seem far fuller than they did when oi were there. But then everywhere that's the case.

And Bristol's not a hellhole. It has horrid parts like any city.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.