Author Topic: Brompton Easy wheel alternative that's not overly heavy  (Read 3166 times)

Brompton Easy wheel alternative that's not overly heavy
« on: 16 August, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »
I'm using eazy wheels on my brompton with rear rack. There are two advantages of the design of these, low weight (around 30g I think) and narrow shape (no heel-strike). However when using the brompton as a shopping cart they don't work so well, they shimmy under the load due to the fact that there's only one bearing per wheel, and the diameter is small enough that there can still be clearance issues over rough ground. They also seem to break easily (the plastic retaining bits bend).

I've been considering switching two of the wheels to skate types but if I do this I'm going to have to be sure that the ones I get aren't excessively heavy. Some have metal cores and some plastic. I've got some cheap metal core inline skate wheels sitting around and they're way too heavy, around 120g each. I'm guessing with plastic core wheels it's the outer rubber that's the heaviest aspect so I'm thinking that if there are some 80mm (approx) wheels where the core is as large as possible and as hollow as possible, they might do the job. Or it might make more sense to take some 100mm wheels and (somehow) shave them down to 80mm or thereabouts so that the core is as large as possible.

Any thoughts on this?