Author Topic: Runner beans  (Read 328 times)

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Runner beans
« on: 28 June, 2022, 11:36:55 am »
Two years ago my runner beans were pretty pathetic. The plants were feeble and I picked very few beans. Last year they were very good, for a time we were eating beans with every meal and I gave some away. I can't account for the difference.

This year they are struggling again. I've put them on the other side of the path more-or-less bisecting our garden. I've kept them watered and sprayed the blackfly with washing up liquid.

I noticed that a couple of last year's seeds must have escaped and have self-sown. The two plants in the same location as last year's are doing a lot better than the beans I planted - much stronger growth, much darker leaves. I think the varieties are the same. The only difference I can think of is soil nutrients.

I've ordered some liquid manure to see if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions from the panel would be appreciated.
I want to surf the zeitgeist to where it’s all happening

Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:00:42 pm »
one of my R beans has been attacked by blackfly and is struggling but the other 3 are unaffected and seem to be climbing ok.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:44:01 am »
My runners have struggled this year in the main raised bed. Poor germination rate, slow growing, very spindly.  I think the near constant wind this year hasn’t helped, especially with the dry conditions.  You can thoroughly soak the soil and it’s bone dry again the next day.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2022, 02:35:43 pm »
I have to install a windbreak to have any chance with runner beans.
A few years ago my beans looked great till I went out one morning and all the leaves had blown off.
If nothing else, the constant wind takes all the moisture out of the leaves and the plants struggle to take up enough water.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2022, 12:36:20 pm »
The above comments have probably answered to a degree one of the things I was wondering about this morning. Why are the beans climbing the bamboo tipis near the wall growing better than the others? It's probably because they are better protected from the west wind. And we have had a very windy last few weeks.
I want to surf the zeitgeist to where it’s all happening