Author Topic: Small victories  (Read 8442 times)

Re: Small victories
« Reply #100 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:03:33 pm »
The context is that my Megacorp is getting closer and closer to aping TCS (Tata's IT outfit), and our colleagues in the sub-continent are busily engaged creating "offerings". Possibly to the lord Ganesh, I couldn't possibly comment. My stature and role allows me some leeway and input into such things. And yes, cloud assessment was the name of the game. They have taken my slide and run with it, it is out in the wild and is making its way into a customer presentation in real time.

Not that I haven't changed, but it is very reminiscent of 1983 or thereabouts, when installing the PC-XTs I called all the hard drives "Hardon" and got all the secretaries to tell me they had problems with their Hardon.

ian

• camera nazi
« Reply #101 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:09:13 pm »
I wish we'd managed to grab that coffee that time we were both in orbit above Blackfriars, we'd so rule the world by now.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

« Reply #102 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:16:54 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #103 on: 29 July, 2021, 06:56:06 am »
The Infosys and TCS guys at our place actually did have little Ganeshes on their desks, and gave them as gifts to some of our people.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #104 on: 29 July, 2021, 08:12:37 am »
Ganesha is the remover of obstacles. Cosmic troubleshooter if you would.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #105 on: 15 January, 2022, 11:32:51 am »
  • Lever aged body onto knees
  • Softly and silently jibble the handle on the Velux window to its “open a tiny bit” position
  • Yank the handle of the Velux window vigorously to its “fully open” position
  • Smile at the sound of pigeons vacating the roof of Larrington Towers in a blind panic
  • Go back to sleep for another hour

Alas, pigeons are very stupid and do not learn from experience so the little feathery shits always come back >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #106 on: 15 January, 2022, 01:24:39 pm »
Landmines.

Or a specially-trained wol.

« Reply #107 on: 15 January, 2022, 02:00:57 pm »
That was my experience this year, other quotes were very similarly priced as my renewal notice with all rising some 20% or so. Strange given lockdown and most people being home all day.

I saw a report recently that some police forces (Northamptonshire is one of them) are claiming the credit for reduced burglaries over the past two years.  Not even a mention that this might have been helped by all those people now working from home.

I wonder how they will spin the inevitable increases once the sheeple herd back into town and city centres en masse.?

« Reply #108 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:38:49 pm »
That was my experience this year, other quotes were very similarly priced as my renewal notice with all rising some 20% or so. Strange given lockdown and most people being home all day.

I saw a report recently that some police forces (Northamptonshire is one of them) are claiming the credit for reduced burglaries over the past two years.  Not even a mention that this might have been helped by all those people now working from home.

I wonder how they will spin the inevitable increases once the sheeple herd back into town and city centres en masse.?

Shitti Patel claimed something like this in one of (the few) Covid updates she was allowed to do.
IIRC, she announced that there had been a twelve hundred, eleventy thousand and two, thirteenty and fifty twelve % reduction in whatever during the lockdown.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #109 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »
Landmines.

Professor Larrington tells of $SEASIDE_TOWN which employed a Big Ferce Raptor to deal with ASBO-ignoring seagulls.  Unfortunately said birb went native and started joining in with the “Mugging Tourists For Chips” racket :facepalm:

« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 03:59:27 pm »
Landmines.

Professor Larrington tells of $SEASIDE_TOWN which employed a Big Ferce Raptor to deal with ASBO-ignoring seagulls.  Unfortunately said birb went native and started joining in with the “Mugging Tourists For Chips” racket :facepalm:

Seems a reasonable choice to me - presumably neither tourists nor their chips offer as much resistance as your average seagull.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 04:26:23 pm »
Landmines.

Seems a reasonable choice to me - presumably neither tourists nor their chips offer as much resistance as your average seagull.

The ledges of our offices are kept low pigeon by a contractor who comes around with a trained Harris Hawk.

Although I read in my latest RSPB magazine that feral pigeon numbers are reducing
Eddington Numbers 127 (imperial), 178 (metric) 540 (furlongs)  113 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 06:13:09 pm »
Landmines.

The ledges of our offices are kept low pigeon by a contractor who comes around with a trained Harris Hawk.

Although I read in my latest RSPB magazine that feral pigeon numbers are reducing

Not on my bloody roof, they ent >:(