Author Topic: Share your plans for 2022  (Read 7622 times)

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
Re: Share your plans for 2022
« Reply #50 on: 31 December, 2021, 12:32:30 am »
1: Start new job from home
1: Book an MIQ slot for me and Clare
2: Ship all all our shit to New Zealand
3: Get flights to NZ, spend a week or so in quarantine
4: Start new job actually at work
5: ??
6: Profit!

WHAT????

Have I missed something?

That was my reaction to the OP.

It's taken good number of months to arrange, and I didn't want to say anything publicly as there have been many opportunities for it all to go wrong and not happen. I've accepted a job at the newly created Auckland Space Institute and am off to help develop the Kiwi space industry. I've got the visa and a government exemption to enter the country, but we now have to  find our way through the quarantine system they have in place. As a result, I have no idea when we will actually get into New Zealand, although I start my new job (from home) at the end of January. It's all a bit exciting.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #51 on: 31 December, 2021, 11:09:58 am »
Quote from: Vernon
I've accepted a job at the newly created Auckland Space Institute and am off to help develop the Kiwi space industry
Piiigs Sheeepp in Spaaace!
Jolly well done and good luck.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #52 on: 31 December, 2021, 12:40:13 pm »
Woo! Upside down rockets  :thumbsup:

« Reply #53 on: 31 December, 2021, 12:43:11 pm »
Quote from: Vernon
I've accepted a job at the newly created Auckland Space Institute and am off to help develop the Kiwi space industry
Piiigs Sheeepp in Spaaace!
Jolly well done and good luck.

My daughter's partner plays in one of them there beat combos,  by the name of Space Shepherds. They have a quite cool logo, and some good tuneage too.

What's this bottom line for anyway?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 31 December, 2021, 03:08:31 pm »
My gosh Vernon & Clare, that is quite exciting. I'm well jel!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 31 December, 2021, 03:09:58 pm »
The blower resistor for the car arrived today so I guess that will be a job for this long weekend.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #56 on: 01 January, 2022, 10:13:29 am »
Breathe
Sleep
Repeat.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 01 January, 2022, 10:30:31 am »
Breathe
Sleep
Repeat.
Minimalism.
Perfected.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #58 on: 01 January, 2022, 03:12:44 pm »
Plans for 2022?  Tricky, who knows what might happen.  Actually, it's fairly likely more of the same from 2021, unfortunately.

But I suppose I really should get around to downsizing.  Since combining the contents of a very large 3 bed semi, and a small 2 bed flat into a medium sized 2 bed flat 3½ years ago, there are still umpteen boxes everywhere.

Also, I must start planning all the places to cycle to when we go to the Netherlands at the end of April.

Plus avoid catching the lurgy.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #59 on: 02 January, 2022, 08:08:26 am »
Continue my barely discernible effort but laudable intent to stop my natural state of "antisocial bastard".
Survive the bit where Miss Ham + grandchildren move in while their house extension is completed
Discover what has happened to either Jo or Mo, both would be nice but let's not get greedy

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2022, 03:54:18 pm »
  • Attempt to replace blower resistor in car without making anything go bang

Achievement unlocked  :smug:

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2022, 05:17:01 pm »
<--- Is very impressed.

Any electronic magitrickery is left to Vernon in this house, I have a bad habit of making things go BANG without even trying.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #62 on: 03 January, 2022, 07:22:18 pm »
  • Attempt to replace blower resistor in car without making anything go bang

Achievement unlocked  :smug:

Well, at least I know who to get in iffen my FAFC decides to follow suit :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 03 January, 2022, 10:37:16 pm »
<--- Is very impressed.

Any electronic magitrickery is left to Vernon in this house, I have a bad habit of making things go BANG without even trying.

Not sure I can claim any kudos for electrickery, it was more poking things with GBFO screwdrivers and hoping nothing went 'whuump' in my face.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 03 January, 2022, 11:58:51 pm »
Congratulations on remaining un-whuumped.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:34:02 am »
Congratulations on remaining un-whuumped.

I leave the angry pixies to Kim as that is legit her area of expertise.

The rest is a mishmash of joint responsibility and Kim doing the grunt work. I make an excellent minion cos I know how to shut up and do as I'm told :D.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:34:55 am »
Breathe
Sleep
Repeat.

I'm stealing this.

In practical terms try and make my leg work again, avoid scary virus, not lose my job(s).

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #67 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:34:41 pm »
  • Watch some chaps erect our new shed. Move the gardening tat into it and put up the "shed poster" ;D.(oh yes, and I'll need to paint that and various fences)

Woot. Took them a grand total of about 25 mins.
IMG_9470_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #68 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:08:52 pm »
Cycle tour in July / August,  hopefully Belgium which would be great for using my SMGT recumbent.
A few shorter,  uk based cycle tours and long weekend mini tours.
Van life trips.
Gardening.
Gardening.
Gardening.
Decorating.
Gardening.
Gardening.
Decorating.
Gardening.
Decorating.
Get carpet put in.
Decorating.
Get wooden flooring in through hall, dining room and living room.
Hopefully take my 9 year old son for a first wold camp in the nearby lake district.

We moved into our house last March but never got enough done in the house.  It is virtually impossible to get people in to do what we can't or don't want to do. Tree surgeons, electricians, plumbers, builders,  etc.  Too busy to even return phone calls. So we've done what we could.  Cut a few trees down,  cleared a lot but it's a fair sized garden and a lot of hard work.

Among all that I'm getting out on my recumbent when I can and intend to regain my fitness.  It's all busy with family,  work,  garden,  house, etc. It all makes fitness side take less priority for my time.

« Reply #69 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:36:41 pm »
Planning anything with covid uncertainty is a nightmare.

After many years of a 2.5 hour (each way) commute, WFH made me rethink. So with RTO (return to office) underway in November my plan was to move on to a boat in London and reduce my commute down to 10 minutes. This 2022 plan I have achieved, but omicron means WFH is back again so it's all a bit pointless.

My other 2022 plan, designed over rather too many Chrimbo beers goes like this: I have the boat until April, followed by a ~3 month gap. I also have 37 days holiday in the bank. RTO is defined as three days in the office, two WFH. So if I book M-W as holiday every week and work remotely Th-F I can cycle five days/week for 12-13 weeks with bank holidays. Starting from home, that would roughly be: BE, NL, Scandinavia, Baltics, Russia, Kazakhstan (some train may be required for this hop), Caucasus, Turkey, Balkans, Pyrennees, home. If I can manage to fit in the silly little countries like Monaco, Andorra, etc. that will leave only Iceland and Ireland to give me a full house of every European country cycled.

All depending on what covid decides to do in the meantime.

And of course the plan is scuppered already by events in Kazakhstan.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #70 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:56:14 pm »
Do you need the Kazakh leg?  You could cycle straight down from Russia to Georgia and thence back through Turkey.  Kazakhstan's claim to have land in Europe is a bit dodgy anyway so I wouldn't count it towards your European total.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #71 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:23:38 pm »
Also right now Kazakhstan is full of Russian soldiers “liquidating terrorists” at the behest of the government.  Best avoided for the moment.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #72 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:45:10 am »
  • Get the cottage renovation finished and move in
  • Brampton Control at LEL
  • A cycle tour

« Reply #73 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:03:07 pm »
Do you need the Kazakh leg?  You could cycle straight down from Russia to Georgia and thence back through Turkey.  Kazakhstan's claim to have land in Europe is a bit dodgy anyway so I wouldn't count it towards your European total.

Good point. Kazakhstan (or some of it) is on my map of Europe and I've wanted to go there for a while, but it's not essential. It's not possible to cycle from Russia to Georgia because if you enter Abkhazia from the Russian side you cannot leave on the Georgian side. This is a tricky section because the ferry from Russia to Turkey is listed as Russian citizens only. Maybe crossing from Vladikavkaz through to Tblisi assuming North Ossetia is not totally barred? As opposed to just "advise against all travel"  ;)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #74 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:17:14 pm »
I'm pretty sure I had to bribe my way out of Kazakhistan once. One of the Stans anyway. Cheeky bugger wanted $125 for an exit visa. I think I gave him $75 and a bonus scowl in the end. The worst thing about these things was the creative expensing (as, of course, you can't expense bribes, so like prostitutes and coke, I probably put it under 'hotel services - other').