Author Topic: Richmond Park  (Read 44738 times)

Re: Richmond Park
« Reply #50 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:36:44 pm »
That was really rather unpleasant, a reminder of the dangers of getting your gear on for a ride and heading downstairs without looking out through the curtains. I was drenched by time I got to the end of the street. I then took a strange route, partly forced by having to devote most of my brain to not-being-killed, and decided to carry on rather than undertake a simple U-turn. So I arrived at the park at 7:10, sodden.

Came back and the rain was easing off to a fine drizzle at most just as I reached my door. 

Sorry if I missed anyone that was there at 7 on the dot.

Maladict

« Reply #51 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:41:33 pm »
Alex... if the weather's anything like that on the 7A, you're dead.  ;D

« Reply #52 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:19:15 am »
Alex... if the weather's anything like that on the 7A, you're dead.  ;D

:)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #53 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:25:21 pm »
Rather short notice but does anyone feel like a few laps later? I'm thinking of going at 7 or so.

Will be at Roehampton at 7. On Van Nicholas - probably the only bike in sight with mudguards. I'll be attempting to keep my heart rate below certain levels so will not be speedy. At all.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #54 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:11:09 pm »
Rather short notice but does anyone feel like a few laps later? I'm thinking of going at 7 or so.

Will be at Roehampton at 7. On Van Nicholas - probably the only bike in sight with mudguards. I'll be attempting to keep my heart rate below certain levels so will not be speedy. At all.

Just seen this - too late :( Was looking for an excuse to try my new tyres

P.S. Do Conti 4 seasons have a 'rotation direction'?

« Reply #55 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:24:29 pm »
I went a bit early in the end - but did pass by Roehampton at about 7. Most enjoyable. I did 2 21 minute laps! Which is good for me.

I fitted the GP4S with the "chevrons" of the tread facing forward at the top of the tyre. In fact, for the back it would make more sense to have it the other way.

But we can save that old argument for another thread...

It seems Richmond Park is a dead loss for trying to keep your HR below a certain level  ::-)

« Reply #56 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
Just broke the 1-hour barrier for 3 laps (58m42s).  Sunny and the wind from the right direction (east) if a little strong at around 12mph.  I'm really happy about this as it's something I've had in the back of my mind for a couple of years, but I somehow doubted I'd ever achieve it.  Coming from long-distance audax-type touring speed has never been my thing, but I'm starting to like being able to sustain fairly high speeds for a lengthy period.

I start my LEJoG next week - I'm aiming to do it in 6 days.  I now feel a bit more confident in raising my average speed without blowing up towards the end of the day.  If I can average 15 mph in the saddle then 150-mile days in 12 hours (with stops) become a possibility, whereas before this has taken me 13-14 hours.

Richmond Park has been part of my training for the two years since I took up cycling and I really feel at home there.  Now I've broken the hour I think I have "tamed" it in my own imagination.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #57 on: 06 May, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »
Well done. The hour is one of my targets this year and I should be putting in a lot more laps there now (and upping the kilometerage to 1000km/month) now that the weather has improved.

Current record is about 72m, but that's that at Audax pace that I could maintain for hours. I've yet to try upping the pace to something I can only maintain for the 3 laps before having to take a long lie-down.

Definitely up for RP laps from tomorrow evening onwards.

« Reply #58 on: 06 May, 2008, 03:32:32 pm »
Very good going, Toontra. I have a lot of work to do before I can do 3 x <20 minute laps!

Let's keep each other informed re meet ups for laps. At the moment I am having difficulty meeting up with people as I frequently work until 7 or so, meaning that I cannot get to the park before 8 but hopefully we'll meet up from time to time.

« Reply #59 on: 06 May, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
My Tuesday night 5-a-side is starting again next week. The first games are anything from 8pm to 9.20pm so I'll almost always be there later on a Tuesday.

Otherwise I'm going to try to continue my commute through and round the park most evenings which means 6.30pm is most likely.

Maladict

« Reply #60 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:53:12 pm »
How far is a lap, JOOI?

PGtips

• behold. the might of the jellybaby!
« Reply #61 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:55:41 pm »
i think its about 8 miles
Milk, Milk, Milk.... "I reject reality and substitute my own!" I am all for the Olympic food eating contest!

Maladict

« Reply #62 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:02:02 pm »
24mph?  Hmm.  Bit faster than me then.  :)

« Reply #63 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:25:08 pm »
How far is a lap, JOOI?

Nearer 6.8 miles I think, making the 3 laps close to 20 miles.

Maladict

« Reply #64 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:28:09 pm »
How far is a lap, JOOI?

Nearer 6.8 miles I think, making the 3 laps close to 20 miles.

Oh well given I did a 10 in 30'15 I might have a chance with a bit more training.  :)

« Reply #65 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:38:45 pm »
3 laps is almost bang on 20 miles (to within 100 metres).

« Reply #66 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:46:11 pm »
I shocked myself this evening. I went eyeballs out, full pelt, and managed a lap in 22mins 30 seconds! My fastest time when I was mega fit was just under 20 minutes, so in my current state of unfitness I'm quite happy with that!  :thumbsup:

PGtips

• behold. the might of the jellybaby!
« Reply #67 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:47:44 pm »
oh ok. maybe i was thinking of the outer path round the park
Milk, Milk, Milk.... "I reject reality and substitute my own!" I am all for the Olympic food eating contest!

« Reply #68 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:55:15 pm »
oh ok. maybe i was thinking of the outer path round the park

Tricky to get a fast lap on the outside path as it has a 10mph speed limit which also applies to cyclists (like the 20mph speed limit applies on the road).

« Reply #69 on: 07 May, 2008, 09:52:20 am »
Unless things go wrong at work I should be going through Roehampton Gate at about 6.45pm tonight.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #70 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:01:48 am »
In Greece this week (and most of the next 2) but onw day maybe!

« Reply #71 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:11:33 am »
I'm thinking of going tomorrow (thurs) after work if any similarly slow people are thinking of going, I know for a fact I won't be doing any 22 minute laps though, my average is more like 12mph! So I won't be trying to keep up with the likes of Greenbank et al, just yet.

If so I would probably be there by 6.45 at Roehampton gate.

I just wish there wasn't 7 miles of the lovely South Circular in between me and the Park, it puts me off a bit!

« Reply #72 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:25:44 am »
Very good going, Toontra. I have a lot of work to do before I can do 3 x <20 minute laps!

Let's keep each other informed re meet ups for laps. At the moment I am having difficulty meeting up with people as I frequently work until 7 or so, meaning that I cannot get to the park before 8 but hopefully we'll meet up from time to time.

I'm a day person at RP.  I'm lucky enough to have a flexible work pattern that allows me to fit in the training as I need it, almost always during other people's "work" hours, so I doubt our paths will cross in the park unfortunately.  I think we met on a couple of audaxes in the spring, and I'm sure there will be many more of those ahead.

« Reply #73 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:31:06 pm »
I'm thinking of going tomorrow (thurs) after work if any similarly slow people are thinking of going, I know for a fact I won't be doing any 22 minute laps though, my average is more like 12mph! So I won't be trying to keep up with the likes of Greenbank et al, just yet.

If so I would probably be there by 6.45 at Roehampton gate.

I just wish there wasn't 7 miles of the lovely South Circular in between me and the Park, it puts me off a bit!
I might be there, NSTN, and having knackered myself yesterday I won't be going fast.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #74 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »
Unless things go wrong at work I should be going through Roehampton Gate at about 6.45pm tonight.

Think I'll be at work until 7, GB, sorry.