Author Topic: Cycle touring the Austrian, Swiss and French Alps this summer - any advice?  (Read 896 times)

Hi,

I’m planning a two week cycle tour this summer (Instead of LEL). The loose plan would be to start in Munich, Germany then take a route over the Austrian and Swiss Alps towards France ending up in Grenoble where I will spend a few days watching the Tour De France as it goes over the Alpe D’Huez and Col De La Madeleine.

I have a loose plan of route in mind and joining the dots of the places I envisage myself passing through will cover approx 1,500km, at  rate of roughly 100km per day.

I plan to either take a very lightweight tent, or if I can justify its suitability a Bivvy/ Tarp system. Both will require a lot of testing in the UK before committing.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of route? Who has cycled the Alps before and what advice would they give. Any advice on places to go/ not go and the practicalities of camping in Switzerland would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Joel

Switzerland's great for camping...have a look at the Myswitzerland tourist office website. Also, the cycle route network is superb :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.