Author Topic: Non padded shorts  (Read 4644 times)

Non padded shorts
« on: 17 March, 2013, 08:54:12 pm »
Didn't know where to post this on the forum so thought I would put it here as it is related to health in a way.

I can't stand wearing padded shorts. Basically I will save the gory details by just saying that everything goes very numb and fast. Problem is that I have worn out my last pair of non padded shorts and can't see any on sale anywhere. Over the winter it has been fine. I have just used seamless sports undershorts with my winter trousers. Question is what do I do in the warm weather?

The only place I have spotted non padded shorts is Sprots Direct but as you can imagine they are cheap and have many untidy seams. Any ideas on where I can buy something that will work? Is there a short that I can use from another sport?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Non padded shorts
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »
Tenn do some unpadded stuff.  It's a bit cheap and nasty.

Un-picking the pads from existing shorts is the expensive option.

Recumbentists find pads of limited benefit (Mostly Harmless, until they rub on the inside of the thigh), but most of my stuff still has them as I tend to ride both kinds of bike.

I believe rowing's a good sport for cycling-like motions that don't benefit from padding.  Running stuff tends to have badly-placed seams.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »
google for "running shorts"

Most of them are "baggy" but nike and gore and probably others do one that looks like a lycra bike short but has no pad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:49:57 pm »
Sheila Simpson prefers non-padded shorts for her Audaxing. Don't know what her sources are but Frankly Frankie OTP might.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:00:14 am »

Being one of the recumbentists, I'm quite familiar with those. Depending on thigh size and shape they will ride up the leg and then start chaffing as they've got not siliconized seams. Solution: Find a seamstress to attach some siliconized rubber to the seam.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with triathlon shorts. Those have only thin, fast drying, and soft pads, which sort of keep the draught off tender bits but otherwise don't interfere with comfort. Might be worth a try.

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2013, 11:11:01 am »

Being one of the recumbentists, I'm quite familiar with those. Depending on thigh size and shape they will ride up the leg and then start chaffing as they've got not siliconized seams. Solution: Find a seamstress to attach some siliconized rubber to the seam.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with triathlon shorts. Those have only thin, fast drying, and soft pads, which sort of keep the draught off tender bits but otherwise don't interfere with comfort. Might be worth a try.

Triathlon shorts may be an option.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will have a look at triathlon shorts as an option if they only have a thin pad they might be ok. I heard previously that rowing shorts may be an option. Apart from that there's a variety of running shorts just depends where the seams are. Think I will have to spend a suspicious amount of time in my local sports shop checking out shorts.

Tenn sports was a no go. Couldn't see any non padded shorts.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2013, 06:15:04 pm »
I'v never worn padded shorts, or rather I did once try but prefer not to.
In colder weather I wear ankle length woolly undies with flat seams.
Otherwise I have one pair cycling shorts with the ads unpicked and sticky-up seams, OK for 100km and never tried for longer.  Otherwise it's running shorts with flat seams, I've carefully inspected to see where the seams go.  Actually, being female and having a dip in the middle of the saddle, the annoying seams are the ones either side that end up under the back of the thigh.  The ones that cross in the middle don't bother me so much.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »
Think I'm going to look for a similar short with flat seams. As long as the seams are flat they only tend to bother me are ones that cross the middle of my inner thigh where my legs rub against the saddle. I'm on a late shift later this week so will have time to have a look in my local running shop. Hopefully I will find something suitable. 

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2013, 07:27:07 pm »
Google for rowing shorts  - I used to row - rowers wear unpadded cycling shorts basically, job done  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2013, 07:30:43 pm »
Google for rowing shorts  - I used to row - rowers wear unpadded cycling shorts basically, job done  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2013, 11:32:29 am »
I'll second the rowing shorts option.  I often ride with my rowing shorts.  They generally have high backs, so you will remain covered when you bend forward on the bike.  They'll stay in place without migrating up your legs.  The ones I have have a double lycra layer in the arse for a bit more comfort, but isn't a pad so doesn't bunch up or anything.  I also use rowing longs in the winter for the same reason.  If I need some padding, I might wear shorts underneath.

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2013, 06:39:17 pm »
I'll second the rowing shorts option.  I often ride with my rowing shorts.  They generally have high backs, so you will remain covered when you bend forward on the bike.  They'll stay in place without migrating up your legs.  The ones I have have a double lycra layer in the arse for a bit more comfort, but isn't a pad so doesn't bunch up or anything.  I also use rowing longs in the winter for the same reason.  If I need some padding, I might wear shorts underneath.

Been looking at rowing shorts online with the double lycra layer. Just waiting for pay day now and I'm going to order a pair to try.

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2021, 12:00:00 pm »
Anyone else gone down the non padded route? If so what kind of kit do you use?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2021, 12:13:46 pm »
I wear walking shorts.  Just checked and they are Regatta.  Mostly used on recumbent. I go short short and slim fit so not too much air catching and inflating them.  Also wear on brommie and my road bike. They have plenty of stretch and nice and comfy.  They have flat lock seams. Cheap as well. Around £15-20 each.

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2021, 01:55:13 pm »
Thanks for that just ordered some.

« Reply #15 on: 21 August, 2021, 02:10:05 pm »
Anyone else gone down the non padded route? If so what kind of kit do you use?

Ive been test riding an infinity endurance saddle on the turbo and really liking the initial feel. Ive been using it with old worn down bibs where the pad is flat and knackered, or with slim MTB Knicks and regular shorts. The saddle is designed to be used in conjunction with minimal or no pad.  I plan to try it out on the road on some longer rides in the near future. TBH Im a bit flummoxed about what to go with, so am watching this thread with interest. I have suffered with substantial saddle sores on previous endurance events so quite excited about the prospect of resolving it.
often lost.

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2021, 11:19:42 pm »
Tried 40 miles on a black coloured Brooks Swift today without padded shorts whilst using trekking shorts and 'Autograph Microskin' M and S underwear. All went well with remarkably little discomfort. Saddle has been in use some time but could still be used to knock a nail in. Some external saddle staining of the seat of light coloured Trekking shorts was noticeable afterwards, but non internally. Bodes well for the future, unless I regret this in the morning.  ::-)

« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2021, 02:36:13 pm »
Still feeling comfortable. Saddle staining removed via normal wash. If I can, I think I will stick to non padded.