Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 109998 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
A relative asked me to deliver his BSO to a very nice chap nearby who checks such things over & sells them with all profits going to the local hospice.  This led to the 'tween household becoming n-2 as I've subsequently delivered our tandem1 and ex-electric trike2 to the same chap.  'Nice to get machines in good order for a change' he quoth.

Between deliveries 1 & 2 said very nice chap received a message from the Hospice, the total from his fund raising efforts has just passed £57k  :o  In just 4 years :o :o

1I spent a fair chunk of time & money getting it in good order but it's never going to be usable by two adults without upgrading a hell of a lot of parts to cope with the mass.  Everything on it is standard bike parts.  Better it goes to an adult plus child user.  He was quite excited about this as he gets tandems rarely.
2Delivered pretty much as we got it it.  Far beyond my ability to figure out... well most things on it.  The two chief items being how to make the rear brake function and  how to give it gears suitable for this part of the world.  Needs selling on to someone in Norfolk or the Netherlands.
This guy: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/04/people-making-a-difference-pushbike-paul-the-man-whos-restored-thousands-of-bikes-to-fund-a-hospice?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

My in laws went to my sister in laws for Christmas. Her brother in law was also there and apparently bought expensive Christmas crackers. This resulted in my in laws giving us two sets of bike lights. Just the kinds rubber ones that take 2032 batteries but better then the usual tat you get in crackers

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Some [“Uncle Monty” – The Invigilator] has cut through one of the Sheffield stands outside Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Natch I only discovered this when unlocking the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle after finishing my weekly visit to thee Temple ov Doom Capitalism.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

My phone got so cold during today’s ride it switched itself off, then lied about the remaining charge (16%) when I rebooted it. Plugged it in when home: 85%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-64354089 .
Shows how far behind cycle infrastructure in the UK is. I love the big trike  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-64354089 .
Shows how far behind cycle infrastructure in the UK is. I love the big trike  :thumbsup:

The final comment is pretty good too.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
BBC News showing a piece on Tanks For Ukraine, during which a chap on a large-wheeled unicycle rode past a T-34 on display in Berlin.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The Mgt of Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles has finally done something about the sawn-through Sheffield Stand at my local branch, viz. wrapped the b0rked part in hazard tape.  I'm sure this will be more than enough to send the tea-leaves of E4 scurrying up the road to Morrisons.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What with diversity in cycling having been a hot forum topic recently, I thought I'd mention that today I saw a middle-aged Sikh riding an electric cargo trike (tadpole variety). No idea what he was cargoing, I'm afraid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Source

Cudzo mentioned diversity in cycling.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
That's brilliant!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

That is certainly a diverse form of cycling!

But I wonder if it's as inefficient as the poster seems to think it is? Wouldn't the use of gearing make it a more efficient form of rowing, just like cycling is more efficient than walking?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Interesting question.  Obviously a propeller is a more efficient way to convert rotary motion into movement through water than paddles, but presumably cycling is a more efficient way to get mechanical motion out of a human than rowing, if only because you're not accelerating all that mass forwards and backwards with every stroke.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bio-mechanical advantage to using leg muscles to do all the work, too.

Interesting question.  Obviously a propeller is a more efficient way to convert rotary motion into movement through water than paddles, but presumably cycling is a more efficient way to get mechanical motion out of a human than rowing, if only because you're not accelerating all that mass forwards and backwards with every stroke.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bio-mechanical advantage to using leg muscles to do all the work, too.
Rowing with a sliding seat is mostly about leg power, the arms and torso make only a small contribution. Although human-powered hydrofoils are pedal powered so there is probably an advantage to pedalling.

Competive rowing has a UCI like governing body that limits technology: boats where the feet and oar pivots slide while the seat remains fixed have been developed, They did prove to be a bit faster, but are banned in competition. Competitive rowing technology is a bit like competitive cycling technology, nobody really knows what design is best; even apparently simple things like the best shape for the oar blade.

Cudzoziemiec

A rower will be along in a minute – but doesn't rowing, if done properly, use pretty much the whole body?

Ed: Was typing while philip was posting above!

How will he stop?
Where.Are.The.Brakes?!!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
And where's his magic hat?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
And no high viz !!!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Help me!

A chap who now lives in the Llandysul house that we lived in 12 years ago, turned over an old piece of metal he found on a small piece of wasteland yards from the house.
Wish I'd seen it back in the day, perhaps there might have been a little more of it left.
Hudson Cycles Birmingham.

Basil

• Help me!
^^^

And thanks to Wowbagger for patiently explaining how to post images direct from Mastodon.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
A relative asked me to deliver his BSO to a very nice chap nearby who checks such things over & sells them with all profits going to the local hospice.  This led to the 'tween household becoming n-2 as I've subsequently delivered our tandem1 and ex-electric trike2 to the same chap.  'Nice to get machines in good order for a change' he quoth.

Between deliveries 1 & 2 said very nice chap received a message from the Hospice, the total from his fund raising efforts has just passed £57k  :o  In just 4 years :o :o

1I spent a fair chunk of time & money getting it in good order but it's never going to be usable by two adults without upgrading a hell of a lot of parts to cope with the mass.  Everything on it is standard bike parts.  Better it goes to an adult plus child user.  He was quite excited about this as he gets tandems rarely.
2Delivered pretty much as we got it it.  Far beyond my ability to figure out... well most things on it.  The two chief items being how to make the rear brake function and  how to give it gears suitable for this part of the world.  Needs selling on to someone in Norfolk or the Netherlands.
This guy: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/04/people-making-a-difference-pushbike-paul-the-man-whos-restored-thousands-of-bikes-to-fund-a-hospice?
No but similar. Les is the gent on the left:
https://www.foresthub.co.uk/community-news/kw-bell-helps-les-to-keep-raising-money-for-charity

That's the only link I can find other than ones to bookface, none of which work on a browser with privacy set to ODFO.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Properly proud of the eldest monkey who did bikeability level 3 yesterday at school

Apparently she helped the instructor who didn't know the area very well and was riding at the front when an ambulance needed to come through. Not sure if she was instructed to or not but lead over to the path while buses moved over on opposite side of the road to allow ambulance through

Apparently one of the bus drivers shouted well done little girl to her as they got back on the road after ambulance had gone through

She also helped the instructor pronounce some of the road names which are unique to our town

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit