Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 870546 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #6075 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:39:26 pm »
I bought an Ariel from Alpkit for the new bike (which comes with lights but I wanted some additional lights).

The new bike:

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6076 on: 14 September, 2023, 04:14:46 pm »
I may have put down a deposit on some ORANGE bling, n-1+1=n, for the purposes of...
recumbent bling?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6077 on: 14 September, 2023, 04:20:32 pm »
I may have put down a deposit on some ORANGE bling, n-1+1=n, for the purposes of...
recumbent bling?

Indeed.  I'm too colourblind to care about HPVelotechnik orange (which looks better than it used to anyway).  The silver didn't appeal.

New bike will be a SMGTe with the posh suspension and a Rohloff.  And an assortment of perfectly functional bits from the old bike, which offsets the Brexit tax somewhat.

(https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=126817.0 refers.)

« Reply #6078 on: 14 September, 2023, 08:00:04 pm »
Visited Aysgarth falls and bought a Yorkshire Dales cycling jersey.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6079 on: 21 October, 2023, 01:04:41 am »
A stainless steel hex-head bolt, to replace the dull allen-head bolt for securing my (now rejuvenated - see fettling thread) kickstand to the new bike when it arrives.  Hex head on the basis that it doesn't have a little well to accumulate crud, and that in the extremely unlikely event of having to undo it while away from home, I'm more likely to have a spanner available than a BFO Allen key.

« Reply #6080 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:16:44 pm »
Since my last post on this subject, I have bought lots of cycling stuff.

Wiggle helped me spend £420 on a new groupset, Fawkes Cycles sold me a really nice Deda Elementi steerer, Hopkinsons supplied me with a seat clamp bolt, some 9 speed chains and a threaded steerer headset, whilst Scribe Wheels have talked me into having some new tyres and TPU tubes fitted to the wheels I have had on order for a few weeks. The tyres are Gp5000s and they are costing the same as the cheapest suppliers I could find, at £120 for a 700x23c and a 700x25c including the tubes and fitting. Halfords had some pedals I thought I needed, but it turned out my grandson's bike didn't need a new pedal... tightening it onto the crank was all it needed.

I also bought three handlebar tape sets, and have fitted one.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6081 on: 22 October, 2023, 09:26:18 am »
Some Speedplay Frogs from the ‘Bay. Everything I have is acquiring the label ‘Vintage’. But this means I don’t have to faff on swapping pedals and shoes between bikes.

I just hope both pairs have some mileage left because they are superb pedals. It’s such a shame they don’t make them anymore.
Milk please, no sugar.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6082 on: 22 October, 2023, 09:31:03 am »
Frogs are still available. Cleats are in short supply though. I thought somebody would start 3D printing replacement cleats but I’ve not seen them yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6083 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:15:02 pm »
Frogs are still available. Cleats are in short supply though. I thought somebody would start 3D printing replacement cleats but I’ve not seen them yet.

I didn’t have any luck finding new Frogs, where are they available?
Milk please, no sugar.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6084 on: 22 October, 2023, 06:40:39 pm »
Not new. All NOS has long gone but folk are still selling them SH. Virtually nobody is selling cleats, NOS or SH.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6085 on: 24 October, 2023, 09:45:57 pm »
Sort of.  A toolbox and some new 1/2" drive sockets, because mine rusted years ago.  The rest of the set is ok - just the 1/2" sockets got wet.  I have some odd extras acquired over the years, like a 2BA 1/4" drive socket - useful on Moulton mudguards - a huge Torx bit for car doors and square oil drain keys for gearboxes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6086 on: 26 October, 2023, 08:24:47 pm »
Park Tools bike stand.

Second-hand, and only a couple of hundred yards walk to get it. £80 on FB marketplace.

Used it to hold my '58 Mercian steady while I re-cabled it, this afternoon. 

Overpriced when new, but ok as a second-hand purchase, and while it is not as wonderful as I thought it might be, it worked without any drama.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #6087 on: 26 October, 2023, 11:45:37 pm »
A handlebar mounted rear view mirror. As I get older I'm less confident on the road.

Not yet fitted, and not entirely sure how they'll suit me, tbh, but I'll give them a whirl. I think my biggest issue is, I had enough trouble getting the bar end plug in in the first place, I'm loath to remove it to fit a mirror and risk messing up the bar tape from the bottom up.

« Reply #6088 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:52:52 am »
I use a helmet-mounted mirror and handlebar end mirrors. When I have both available, I tend to favour the helmet mirror.

As a result, I have not refitted the handlebar end mirrors when I have done bar wraps recently.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6089 on: 28 October, 2023, 08:00:18 am »
A load of Moulton F frame bits for £10.50.  One BoA frame, three complete front forks, one inner front fork and a rear suspension unit.  Assuming there are some intact fork bellows in that lot, it's £2-300 worth of bits.  I just need to get them apart and clean them up.  Not failed yet, although one fork, ironically from the least rusty Moulton I've bought, took three weeks of Plus Gas before the "devil's screw" (a little 2BA Philips head screw that gets all the water seepage past the stem) would come free. 

If that screw rounds out, you are in a world of pain, but I've done six or seven and not been foiled yet.  2BA Philips cheese head screws are extinct now, so I put 2BA Pozidriv screws in when I rebuild them.  Pozi is much less likely to slip and round out.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6090 on: 30 October, 2023, 06:22:10 pm »
Happened to be walking past a charity shop with £2.70 in my pocket, noticed a pair of new flat pedals with good bearings in the bargain bucket out the front, with the price £2.60 on them. It seemed sensible to support the shop. Fitted them to my project bike cranks when I got home, improving its looks.

sam

« Reply #6091 on: 31 October, 2023, 11:09:02 pm »

Afasoas

« Reply #6092 on: 12 November, 2023, 03:02:22 pm »
New bottom bracket, chain, stem, bar tape and cables for the £90 for "Audax" bike.
I guess that makes it the £175 "Audax" bike.

Had to remind myself, several times, I was on a budget. I really wanted to get some slightly narrower drop bars as to get the position on the bike as close to the summer bike as possible.
If I managed to keep building up the miles, next year I might flirt with a dis[ck] brake compatible Ti frame.

« Reply #6093 on: 19 November, 2023, 07:13:09 pm »
Got a Black Friday deal on a giro helmet. Saved £40. Nothing flash, got MIPS.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6094 on: 21 November, 2023, 02:02:20 pm »
I replaced the well worn cleats on my well worn shimano mt34 shoes, only to find that the new cleats sit proud of the remaining tread on the sole, affording little grip. So I bought a pair of these.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6095 on: 21 November, 2023, 04:49:27 pm »
I replaced the well worn cleats on my well worn shimano mt34 shoes, only to find that the new cleats sit proud of the remaining tread on the sole, affording little grip. So I bought a pair of these.

Ah, good to see someone's still making vaguely normal MTB shoes.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6096 on: 21 November, 2023, 07:56:20 pm »
Ooh. Handy price too. Noted.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6097 on: 21 November, 2023, 09:40:56 pm »
my SQL Labs gloves arrived in time for tomorrows commute
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6098 on: 22 November, 2023, 01:29:28 pm »
Only some cake, but I noticed that Wiggle have the LifeLine TT-01 Turbo Trainer (Magnetic) for £14.99 , Black Friday deal , RRP £99.99
Almost makes me wish I didn't already have a dumb trainer!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6099 on: 22 November, 2023, 05:52:49 pm »
my SQL Labs gloves

Databases, for the handling of?