Author Topic: Generic Smart TV confusicating ugly interface versus Apple TV 4K box?  (Read 1258 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
As many of the regular, patient, informative and kindly people here, have figured out, I'm always so far beyond the understanding curve with modern technologies* - and you always help/put up with me :-*

This is following on (still) from various historical/hysterical previous posts, regarding f**ked hearing and confusicating TV remote controls etc, etc.

I don't like to accept being beaten by a TV and its Remote Control. And I'm a bastard to myself for getting angry, as it's probably old age, but I like to dress it up as a simple reaction to effing shite poor, user tech interfaces and really overcomplicated communications design?

Am reluctantly but realistically sucked into the Apple world since 1998 when my stepson suggested I'd find Macs more intuitive and therefore easier than Microsofts. (fairly latest iMac, iPhone, iPad, Airpods now adorn Snowdon Towers ::-))

Having bought what I considered to be a very huge silly big f-off 43" LG 'smart TV** ~3 years ago, it's lain mostly dormant because I can't work it out. For many many reasons, not least the so ugly horrible menu interface and overcrowded tiny buttoned (most of them being irrelevant) remote control.

Would bunging money on an Apple TV 4K box streamy thing, free me of the obnoxious Web OS interface on the LG tele?

I only need to access BBC iPlayer, Mubi, GCN+, BFI - and perhaps C4 on catch up (trying to navigate out of all the overwhelming other unnecessary shit, really freaks me out)

(and I think/hope I may have my entertainment audio problems/issues rectified by previously suggested Airpods Pro jobbies)

*although have finally come around to ignoring the ugliness of disc brakes to reluctantly appreciate the actual stopping effect and not having to clean rapidly deteriorating alu rims this winter

** Only just realising that a 4K tele has a reasonable narrow ideal distance viewing window - and 6ft works well here

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Generic Smart TV confusicating ugly interface versus Apple TV 4K box?
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2022, 06:09:20 pm »
Not sure how your smart tv works but our BFO daft size (55") Toshiba (prize from works raffle) has a home button that's just a house symbol on the remote.
I can add iPlayer and any other apps that I use regularly to that screen and just use the arrow buttons to access the app I want, saving clicking excess buttons.
The guide button will also open the apps if I want to catchup on anything.
GCN+ is the only thing I can't get direct and have to mirror the phone screen to see that.

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2022, 06:22:15 pm »
I don't know the current iteration of apple TV boxes, I've got one somewhere that I gave up on.

For simplicity we now use a Roku box (the cheapest version) on our TVs - plugged into the first HDMI socket so it is 'always on'. It gives us all the streaming services we want (although the only one I pay for is AcornTV).
The Roku remote couldn't be simpler but you need to use the TV remote for volume.

(A lot of people suggest using a Chromecast for a simple interface from streaming apps on the phone cast to the TV. It's not a solution that works for me but everyone is different)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2022, 06:56:45 pm »
(A lot of people suggest using a Chromecast for a simple interface from streaming apps on the phone cast to the TV. It's not a solution that works for me but everyone is different)
The latest model (Chromecast with Google TV) does have a remote control, so you can use it much the same way as the Roku etc. And you can install more apps on it. Or cast from your phone if you want. Or use voice commands.

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2022, 07:32:53 pm »
The latest model (Chromecast with Google TV) does have a remote control, so you can use it much the same way as the Roku etc. And you can install more apps on it. Or cast from your phone if you want. Or use voice commands.
Thanks for the correction - it's something I might look into

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2022, 07:02:13 am »
A Roku stick would be ideal.

Sadly TV post's are rarely supported beyond the first couple of years unless it's a decent top spec model running Android. I pretty much always install a Firestick that way I can use it voice controlled and tied into my home automation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2022, 08:32:11 am »
we have Apple TV 4K and I like it.  I have al the apps we use on it and it shows us the 6pm news on the front page.  it can be a little difficult to navigate to the apps sometimes as in 2-3 clicks ad my technophobic wife does not particularly like it but is getting better with it.

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2023, 04:40:12 pm »
In smart TV reviews I read when we bought ours last year said LG had the best os out of all the smart TV brands.  First released 4 or 5 years ago without any major changes but last year the reviewers all said other brands were still playing catch up but only just getting close.

Seriously I've never owned another smart TV brand and not one TV retailer has recommended any other brand to us too. If you can't work the LG os then I'm sorry but you could easily be in the same positron with other brands but having laid out a lot of money in the process. I'd try to master what you've got personally.

Tip, there's a house symbol button pressing that gives you a series of options such as hdmi sockets connected to devices,  satellite and streaming options. If you have the better controller there's buttons for all main streaming services. You can also use voice control with it.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2023, 12:16:03 pm »
Thanks folks, always appreciate all your considerations and helping me think wider :thumbsup:

Well, I improved matters immediately by unplugging the Satellite cable and freeing the screen of thousands of channels, that are not required. But then, whilst that brought up a blank screen (apart from the row of WebOS apps along the bottom) it had this "There is no signal" dialogue which bounced around like one of those early computer squash court type games. Cue manic searching on YouTube and learning to delve into deep LG remote menus, beyond the 'home' button (press the mute button 3 times!) but still no way of removing the boingy 'warning'.

So ordered an Apple TV 4K, despite the cheap solution Roku stick suggested upthread.

Problem expensively solved and joy that the LG remote is now superfluous :) Screen is uncluttered with familiar Apple interface and best of all - my iPhone can be the remote control (easier to use than the somewhat weird Apple TV remote track pad/scrolly circular thing, and both have voice control too) :thumbsup: And in addition, if one needs to do a search and input text, the phone's keyboard removes the pain of mega scrolling back and for to select individual letters and numbers.

Phew, relief ::-)

This of course is entirely because I am shit at coping with overwhelming visual (and audio as in pubs, cafes etc) extraneous stuff - it all gets out of focus, out of control and sends me off into literally shaky anxiety, where solutions seem unattainable and flight (or throw things at the TV) the easiest responses.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda/Happy New Year :)

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2023, 09:29:01 pm »
Congratulations!
It's great to hear you've got a solution, and one that seems excellent.
It's this sort of feedback that is very useful.

Happy New year to you too!

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2023, 10:11:06 pm »
The best thing you can do with an Apple TV is go into the settings and make it learn an old IR remote and then hide the cursed Apple Remote.

I use one from an old DVD player that can also control the telly volume and power.

« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2023, 10:27:39 am »
The best thing you can do with an Apple TV is go into the settings and make it learn an old IR remote and then hide the cursed Apple Remote.

I use one from an old DVD player that can also control the telly volume and power.

Woah how? What magic is this??

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2023, 02:18:15 pm »
Settings > Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote

Means you can use one sized for human hands that doesn’t disappear into the sofa cushions the moment you put it down.