Author Topic: Etrex 32x slow map display?  (Read 440 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Etrex 32x slow map display?
« on: 02 May, 2024, 01:41:41 pm »
HK bought me an Etrex32x to replace an Etrex 30x damaged during my Mumbai transit. I have set it up similarly to my previous Etrex, map continuously on, based on franklyfrankie's guide. The problem is that the map takes a long time to realign when I go round a corner and the map even blanks out partially or completely for varying durations. The display itself is still working and my track is being continuously recorded but does not display while there are blanks.

Is this a known bug, is there something weird in my set up and is there an easy way to get this new Etrex to perform at least as well as my previous Etrex?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Etrex 32x slow map display?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2024, 11:55:00 am »
I've found the 32x to be unreliable and prone to blanking its screen at frequent intervals. The legibility of the screen is also a downgrade on earlier models

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2024, 03:24:03 pm »
Is it the exact same mapset you were using before?
And is it stored in the same location ( internal memory vs SD-card )?

Some of the OSM-based mapsets can be way over-detailed, and the little brane takes a long time to render them. Depends on which 'distro' you are using.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2024, 03:41:36 pm »
Internal memory only and the mapsets supplied in the GPS. There seems to be a number of mapsets and I have turned most of them off.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2024, 09:11:01 am »
I have found that my preferred purple track becomes more or less visible against brown roads depending on whether I view the screen through the top or bottom of my varifocals. Looking through the bottom (close focus) and the purple fades out. Looking through the top (distance but my handlebars now out of focus) and the purple is quite distinct. It is a progressive shift, not a step change. I think I might be able solve that particular problem with a different colour scheme.

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2024, 11:44:39 am »
I have found that my preferred purple track becomes more or less visible against brown roads depending on whether I view the screen through the top or bottom of my varifocals. Looking through the bottom (close focus) and the purple fades out. Looking through the top (distance but my handlebars now out of focus) and the purple is quite distinct. It is a progressive shift, not a step change. I think I might be able solve that particular problem with a different colour scheme.

I created a typ file to fade the map colours so the track stands out better.  It's fiddly but seems to stick for subsequent updates.  https://www.openfietsmap.nl/tips-tricks/customize
I wonder if moving the maps to an SD card might free up memory and improve speed.