Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Twelve Monkeys, the TV show, mostly because (a) I could find the rather marvellous movie and I was intrigued how much they could break it and (b) I'd just given up on Van Helsing (the TV series also) because it was shit. I managed three entire episodes because I've entertainment standards low enough to limbo for the Olympics (and if limboing isn't an Olympic event it should be). Anyway, don't bother, it's not good shit, it's just awful and you can't get those hours back.

Twelve Monkeys is quite entertaining so far, though it dumped the contrived cleverness of the movie for a more straightforward chase. That said, I just noticed there's a second season, so I fear that's going to be stretching a plot w-a-y too far.
GPS / Re: what capacity micro SD for Etrex E30x
« Last post by jsabine on Today at 12:23:14 pm »
I've got a 64gb one in it - pointlessly large for my use, but it was cheap.
Audax / Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Last post by whosatthewheel on Today at 12:23:08 pm »
I understand the need for the team to get entries in early in order to cover costs but I do wonder why AUK cannot provide a loan for a period of time. This would mean the BCM team wouldn't be out of pocket for a large part of the year and entries could be accepted from, say, January 2018.

Anyway, this happened earlier today.

73 inch fixed?  :o
Audax / Re: Chiltern Dash 2017
« Last post by whosatthewheel on Today at 12:21:43 pm »
Resisting the temptation to write a full ride report which I'll publish in 14 parts including full details of every climb over 5 metres...

But the 200 was a cracker.  A tough outbound leg into the wind.  It's normally quite gentle country up to Woodstock but the breeze made it challenging.  At first I was in a strong group of about 10 which made very good time but it disintegrated around 35km.  The next 65 KM or so were a slog although I found myself with a nice friendly group of Audax newcomers who were up for a natter and a nice cup of tea in Burford (Thanks Freddie, Meg and Steph).

The return leg was brilliant flying along as, miraculously, my fitness kicked in.

I think anyone who rode it will have been impressed by the route.  The run up to Woodstock avoided almost entirely any major roads.  The hills were quite civilised (or would have been without the breeze) and the climbs on the way to Burford were rewarded with some brilliant views.  The return leg should have been a bit more challenging than it was (thanks to the wind) but the last 30 to 40 Km took in some of the best cycling country in South IMHO.

Chapeau on the organisiation and the route planning!

I agree, excellent route.
I think the second half is fine as it is... lots of newcomers from the Sportive sphere, who are more used to the imperial 100 distance, so I think it was ideal to have an extended but easy distance as an intro. Hopefully a few of them will realise the exceptionally good value of Audax over Sportives and won't go back!

There was enough fun for all. If it was at all possible to find a quieter way out of Bicester, that would be the icing on the cake. Looking at google maps, there appear to be better options
Audax / Re: Chiltern Dash 2017
« Last post by LiamFitz on Today at 12:11:38 pm »
Resisting the temptation to write a full ride report which I'll publish in 14 parts including full details of every climb over 5 metres...

But the 200 was a cracker.  A tough outbound leg into the wind.  It's normally quite gentle country up to Woodstock but the breeze made it challenging.  At first I was in a strong group of about 10 which made very good time but it disintegrated around 35km.  The next 65 KM or so were a slog although I found myself with a nice friendly group of Audax newcomers who were up for a natter and a nice cup of tea in Burford (Thanks Freddie, Meg and Steph).

The return leg was brilliant flying along as, miraculously, my fitness kicked in.

I think anyone who rode it will have been impressed by the route.  The run up to Woodstock avoided almost entirely any major roads.  The hills were quite civilised (or would have been without the breeze) and the climbs on the way to Burford were rewarded with some brilliant views.  The return leg should have been a bit more challenging than it was (thanks to the wind) but the last 30 to 40 Km took in some of the best cycling country in South IMHO.

Chapeau on the organisiation and the route planning!
The Sporting Life / Re: The cricket...
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 12:01:25 pm »
The current bunch of schoolboys are a far cry from the 1984 team.
Audax / Re: End to End perm: 7 x 200km Randonneur (aka LEJoG)
« Last post by αdαmsκι on Today at 11:53:28 am »
Turns out day 1 across Cornwall and Devon was worthy of 3.75 AAA points and day five from Hoddom to Aberfeldy was worthy of 1.5 AAA points.

Great info about your ride.  I have used some of it to amend my plans for LEJOG next year.
Are you doing this under AUK regulations or just as a tour?
Twenty minutes of silence eradicated and 40MB of disk space saved.  Take THAT, John Fahey!

I thought it was John Cage, who is most well known for silence? :D

Here is the BBC's recording, performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Audax / Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Last post by αdαmsκι on Today at 11:50:12 am »
I understand the need for the team to get entries in early in order to cover costs but I do wonder why AUK cannot provide a loan for a period of time. This would mean the BCM team wouldn't be out of pocket for a large part of the year and entries could be accepted from, say, January 2018.

Anyway, this happened earlier today.

LEL 2017 / Re: LEL Suggestions Box
« Last post by Exit Stage Left on Today at 11:47:06 am »
There could perhaps be an introduction to the various senses of humour to be encountered on LEL. I haven't lived in London over 25 years, so I wasn't up to speed with the biting sarcasm. I'm familiar with Yorkshire, so I get that, and Scotland too. I now live in a part of the world where Peter Kay would be a general guide, with added irony and understatement. The roots of a lot of that is Irish, so it's always a pleasure to share 'The Crack'.

Much of what British people say is the opposite of what they mean, and earnestness is the cardinal sin. God knows what some riders would have thought of some of the 'out of shot' comments. It's probably most confusing to those who have a good grasp of English, but have no awareness of the regional differences in the sense of humour.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10