Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Food & Drink / Re: Food fails from around the world
« Last post by Pickled Onion on Today at 05:48:40 pm »
I have said it before but salt and vinegar on ANYTHING is just wrong!

Right, off to the bunker so hide from the rocks that will be coming my way shortly.

Completely agree. The correct and only thing to put with vinegar is ground white pepper.

[/SouthLondonRoots]
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Advent of Code
« Last post by Oaky on Today at 05:48:24 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Food & Drink / Re: Food fails from around the world
« Last post by spesh on Today at 05:47:59 pm »
Oh yes, and whilst I am and will always remain a Francophile, the genuine 'high' andouillette is possibly the most revolting dish in the entire world.

Oh I don't know there is Surströmming that Swedish thing where they fermenting herring and can it.

Kæstur hákarl. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to vomit over everyone in the room, accept no substitutes.    :sick:

ETA - isn't Surströmming the one that you're banned from opening the can/eating it indoors?

<looks up Wiki page>

Yup, that's the one.

Beats me how either dish hasn't been banned under international arms control treaties. :demon:
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by barakta on Today at 05:46:35 pm »
Woollypigs you are a bad person.  *tee hee*

My grumble.  To Gloucester Royal today, 40 or so miles each way,  for an appt.  Bird strike on the way so busted placky bit of bonnet - kiss goodbye to about 200 quid to get that fixed.   One hour after appt due medic says,  " Umm. Sorry. Umm because Sno and Path. people ill no test results.  Please come again."   Not terribly chuffed about this.  Am thinking that knowing that there had been disruption it would have been a bloody good idea, just this once, to scan the clinic list this morning and check that test results were available and telephone those affected.

I'd complain about that to be honest. I would be livid if I'd paid out to attend a hospital appointment and for foreseeable reasons they couldn't do what they were supposed to. I have to attend quite a lot of them and had had hassle in the past from employers who don't understand how shambolic hospitals can be...

Which reminds me, I'm supposed to have a review 3 months ago and an MRI scan. I shall be chasing both of those in the new year.
« Last post by Pickled Onion on Today at 05:42:47 pm »
Now it's On the Run. "So far away from home..."

They are definitely taking the piss.

Still hanging on the telephone ?

Yeah very good, I wouldn't be surprised if that was up next. Anyway I got through after 1 hour 15 mins. Apparently they are quite busy... here's why (maybe this should be elevated from a grumble to a rant):

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Iresa, the utility company, to say their website was showing a double entry for October. No response. Today the quarterly bills come out so I check it, which isn't hard, there are four lines: (1) Electricity consumption; (2) Total consumption (gas + electric for those who have gas); (3) Standing charge; (4) VAT. Underneath: Grand total = (1) + (2) + (3) + (4) WTF?

So they have an obvious, glaring, schoolboy error in the new billing system, that was surely obvious to the most rudimentary testing, but they're not going to issue a general notice to all customers, or fix it, they are waiting for people to phone and question their bills. I imagine a lot of people won't notice and just wonder why they've used more than last quarter. It is winter, after all.

If anyone here is with Iresa, check your bill now.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by spesh on Today at 05:41:07 pm »
Blackout - The Scorpions
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by cygnet on Today at 05:38:11 pm »
Detroit - Whiteout
« Last post by Pickled Onion on Today at 05:24:28 pm »
Now it's On the Run. "So far away from home..."

They are definitely taking the piss.

Have you got the Telephone Blues?

That's rather good — not heard it before  :)
Food & Drink / No-waste tuna pasta bake
« Last post by Somnolent on Today at 05:20:09 pm »
This is an obligatory dish for Friday evenings in our house.  Howls of complaint if anything different is suggested.

Quantities for 4
2 tins of tuna chunks in oil
3 medium onions
1 stick celery (optional)
3 large carrots
200g Strong Cheddar
2 rounded tbs flour (usually 1 of each wholemeal & white)
750 ml skimmed milk
350 g dried penne (pref wholemeal)
3 handfuls frozen peas
3 large ripe tomatoes

Chop the onions (finely if you are not going to blitz them later) and celery if using, and put in large saucepan.
Open the tins of tuna and pour off the oil into the pan
Fry the onions gently until golden brown this takes a while so meanwhile:
Peel & slice the carrots, and just cover with water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil
meanwhile Grate the cheese and set aside
Off the heat, add the flour to the onions and stir thoroughly
As soon as carrots have boiled, take off the heat and drain half the water into the pan with the onions, stir, add rest of water, and stir again. Set asde the carrots.
Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring all the while.
(Optional) If any one doesnt like chunks of cooked onion use hand blender to blitz the mixture until smooth.
Over gentle heat stir in about 3/4 of the grated cheese, a little at a time.
Add the reserved tuna and the sliced carrots, stir thoroughly
Add the dry pasta & stir gently.
Allow to cool for a few minutes so sauce thickens a little.
Thinly slice the tomatos
Add frozen peas and stir in to mixture
Layer half the mixture into rectangular glass dish (30cm x 20cm or larger) or a baking tray.
Cover with sliced tomato
Add remaining mixture and top with remaining grated cheese.

Bake in medium oven for at least 45 minutes, longer if you like burnt well-browned cheese layer. 

Tops & tails of the carrots go in the dog (!), so the only things to be disposed of at the end are: onion skin & carrot peelings (food waste bin) and tuna tins (recycling bin)

Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Advent of Code
« Last post by Oaky on Today at 05:12:30 pm »
Ooh. Do 4 colours suffice?

Well, given my input, I'm using
(click to show/hide)
  colours (including the black for the background), but in the 4-colour sense, two suffices for this pattern. :)  Doesn't look as nice then, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10