Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by Oscar's dad on Today at 09:27:54 am »
What about The Monkey at Terling???
The Knowledge / Re: Gear shifting issues
« Last post by Russell on Today at 08:59:35 am »
1:  Shimano 105 10s throughout
2:  Not that I have noticed
3:  Apart from the now replaced 'noodle' under the BB they feel OK.

As I said up thread, the tweeks and 'noodle' change at the weekend appeared to offer an improvement while on the workstand (well, workmate and rope stand anyway!) but we have yet to ride it.  I did the test using the drag brake to offer load to the system.
Food & Drink / Re: the food rant thread
« Last post by ian on Today at 08:53:56 am »
I was once in a hotel in Florida opposite a 7-11. I'd pop in there for the occasional drink. I watched the same sausage spin for the entire week. For all I know, it's still there several years later.

I'd forgotten how desperately special 7-11 food is, though this sums up the myriad lowlights. Even in the US there's not many vendors who can squeeze 20% of your daily sodium requirement into a single chicken wing. Get through five of those and you can cross sodium off your daily to-do list. Makes room for other stuff, like ensuring you don't fail short of your saturated fat target. And they're there to help with all those pesky requirements. And it ain't a sandwich if it doesn't have a seventeen line ingredient list, or less a list, more a chemical supply catalogue.

And loaded doritos. Basically synthetic cheese. Covered in sintered dorito. Deep fried. Perfect accompaniment to your Chili Cheese Hot Dog Roller.
Audax / Re: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)
« Last post by Veloman on Today at 08:50:48 am »
I very much doubt it was a fellow Audaxer. When I arrived at Aberystwyth (7:30 PM) there was a chap dressed like a cyclist, but clearly not part of the event, who was going around bothering everybody. Then a couple of drunk folks popped in asking all sorts of questions about what was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those weird characters, possibly a cyclist, nicked your glasses

No weird folk when I was there which was about 2hr after you.  Kit was also furthest from the door and near the stage area. Be surprised to learn it was a cyclist who no doubt realised dark glasses are not appropriate for night riding and stole my clear ones. A mistake I once made (only dark glasses with me) but I was lucky and was riding in a group so others did the navigation. Thief is low life scumbag who deserves what cycling karma will bring (hopefully). Fortunately, it did not put an end to my ride, but it could have had significant consequences.
Skip Bike and Bodge It / Re: DIY Frame Bag
« Last post by bumper on Today at 08:45:23 am »
Top job Brian :thumbsup:

I feel a cottage industry* coming along.

Wish I had a sewing machine, it would've saved me a fortune. In fact, I wish I could sew ;D

*Thats not the same as cottaging Mr Zilla ;D
Audax / Re: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)
« Last post by whosatthewheel on Today at 08:40:57 am »

As an aside, some miserable low life scumbag decided they would prefer a pair of clear eye protection glasses at Aberystwyth so took mine while I was on the toilet and left a pair of the cheapest nastiest sunglasses available.  Not an accident as my clear eyewear was neatly placed in my helmet and leaving their tat nearby was a deliberate act of theft.  They probably realised that sunglasses are not particularly useful at night and no doubt indicates 'novice' status in the night riding experience area.  The clear glasses also had the necessary reading correction that I require in order to navigate; fortunately I had reading glasses with me as well that were not brilliant and provide very little eye protection for my contact lenses that I also wear.  No blame whatsoever on the wonderful folk manning that control, but whoever took them deserves all the bad cycling karma that comes their way and I really hope it comes their way by the shedload.  Low life scumbag action of a cretin.

I very much doubt it was a fellow Audaxer. When I arrived at Aberystwyth (7:30 PM) there was a chap dressed like a cyclist, but clearly not part of the event, who was going around bothering everybody. Then a couple of drunk folks popped in asking all sorts of questions about what was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those weird characters, possibly a cyclist, nicked your glasses
Grow Your Own / Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 08:37:33 am »
I have a fairly large shrubbery that grows down the side of the house, and is a haven for bees in the summer, but does tend to get a bit above itself growing across a path and blocking light to the veggie patch. I started its 2-3 yearly prune yesterday.  It tends to grow nice straight, long stems, almost like coppicing, so I also tend to get some pea/bean supports out of it.

Also finished up relocating the water butts to be able to link them, which I finished this morning, just ahead of the rain.  A bit of a lash-up but let's see how it holds.

Some very nice thinnings of broccoli and home grown courgette to go with my venison sausages yesterday.
That's my setup except mine is a 28t inner, I ended up fitting a dog fang chaincatcher a few weeks ago as I the chain was occasionally unshipping when downshifting to the granny.  Whilst occasional it was always at the bottom of steep climbs and loss of momentum was a bit depressing. You may not have this problem but if you do, the fang is cheap, light and v easy to install.
Freewheeling / Re: NCTSTRCATT
« Last post by MikeFromLFE on Today at 08:34:57 am »
Fair dos to The Kings Lock Tea Room in Aylestone near Leicester- they will stay open as long as customers keep coming, and if the owners are inside doing jobs on a day they are closed, and see gasping thirsty folk outside then they will open specially. They also put 'open' on the door when they arrive in the morning even before their official opening time. Very bizarre.
Racing / Re: The TT Thread
« Last post by rob on Today at 08:34:27 am »
In other news, I think we should run a yacf sweepstake: When will 35 catch 29?

Got there before me.   Stop it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10