Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Racing / Re: Sky - gaming the system?
« Last post by mzjo on Today at 09:29:55 pm »
PBP allegedly has testing. Never seen it happen, but I have never been far away from the back of the field.

I had to throw away the medicine I'd bought in France the previous year (for a sore throat) and buy something much less effective.

When Marie-George Buffet brought in widespread testing following the Festina case the FFCT and cycle-touring events were included in the action. I have never seen or heard of drug-testing in any FFCT event but it would not be unreasonable to expect it in events like the BRA (or PBP). The bigger problem, apart from how it is paid for, is what possible sanction could be imposed, bearing in mind that you don't even need to have a licence from one of the federations to take part in these events and that checking the names of potentially barred riders could be very difficult. Taken further, do you ban someone from riding his bike to work after a doping offence? No licence needed! All of which means that it is unlikely to happen even in events like sportives where there is a proven need for testing.
There is no irony in the fact that Hopkins works for the Daily Hate.   

Calm down dear.  The only thing broken Katie dear is your record.
The Knowledge / Campy Record freehub bearing replacement ?
« Last post by jamesld8 on Today at 09:19:52 pm »
Despite being just 2000 miles use my rear Camapg Record hub feels rough running, bearings feel gratey. Dismantled hub today and found that the actual hub bearings are silky smooth and issue is the freehub bearings (sealed cartridges) are source of the grateiness.

Does it matter too much, given that actual hub bearings are smooth? And if it does what size cartridge bearings , and how to, replace those in freehub unit?

ta
Racing / Re: Sky - gaming the system?
« Last post by mzjo on Today at 09:16:42 pm »
Yeah, keeping people alive seems a good reason! Unfortunately it seems it doesn't always work.  :(

There are numerous surveys of track and field athletes that lead to some quite alarming conclusions. In one, something like half or more of those surveyed said they would take a substance that was:

A. Undetectable
B. Would guarantee a (Olympic) gold medal
C. Would (significantly) shorten their life expectancy

I don't think for one second that track and field athletes are any different to those in other sports. Indeed the financial rewards are far greater and the lack of effective testing more obvious outside of athletics.

Another anonymous survey, again reproduced on more than one occasion, suggests that between 25% and 45% of athletes will admit to illegal doping. I suspect there is some reluctance to admit even in an anonymous survey, so these numbers probably understate the prevalence.

It would seem that individuals are making, or having to make, the choices in any case. That does change the nature of sport from one of competition on the field to one of risk acceptance and genetic response to doping approaches. It doesn't necessarily harm the spectacle of course.

Smoking and drinking are not undetectable, guarantee nothing and shorten your life but that doesn't stop ordinary people doping themselves (not to mention "recreational" drugs). Why should athletes be any different to the rest of common humanity (which is why clean sport can't exist without doping testing?
I knew that cars killed people before I was three years old.
There was no Google in 1961.

Three years old is way too young to be a daily hate reader so you clearly didn't learn it there either.
But the fact that a Mail reader had to resort to Google to find out how to kill people with a car says a lot really.

That's only because they don't understand what the address bar is.
I knew that cars killed people before I was three years old.
There was no Google in 1961.
Handel's Messiah.

Beethoven's 9th.

;)
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by mzjo on Today at 08:49:19 pm »
Official first club outing of the year - as always to the Brenne Park, completely flat roads (well nearly).
58kms in the morning (this was the short circuit, the long one was 63kms) followed by much too much kir a very nice meal, much too much wine and 43kms in the afternoon. I was in much better form than I thought riding with the big boys in the afternoon but I still blew up (too ashamed to say what the averages were).
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: alternative DNS servers?
« Last post by Kim on Today at 08:47:55 pm »
OpenDNS (mildly evil)

Why are OpenDNS mildly evil?

Hijacking NXDOMAIN is evil.  It breaks things.

Also they do filtering, which can be used for evil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10