Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178635 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #125 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
That went pretty well.
September turned out to be windier than I hoped but it was mostly SW, which works best.
The 300 mile first day went better than expected. I planned for 18 hours but managed it in 16. Doing extra miles did cross my mind but my legs were a bit stiff, so I went for extra rest.
My legs got stiff in the next few days, but then started to feel better. I think I may have gained muscle mass and fitness during the month and I'll be doing tests to find out when I'm recovered. My last day was my best performance. I was actually going for a 300 mile or more on the last day but was too far behind sleep. I slowed down and rode extra hours in the days leading up to it. It was always going to be a fine balancing act between riding slow enough to recover, getting enough sleep for an extra long day and doing enough miles. The recovery did work at the cost of sleep, but overall, it was a partial success because I did end up doing more miles in spite of having a leisurely tea stop with Kajsa. I could have done about 15 miles more on the last day but went for tea with Kajsa as I'd already got the record.
A bit of bad luck cost quite a few miles. The day I did about 263, I was aiming for 300 or more.
I got to Sleaford and had a good breakfast (2 14oz steaks) before setting off into rain and headwind to turn at Lincoln for a long tailwind across the flatlands. This wasn't a good day to discover that my waterproof was no longer waterproof. I ended up getting very cold and had to get dry ASAP. Instead of taking shelter, I headed for blue sky, which was into a strong headwind. Better to be moving slowly than to stop. I took quite a beating and was so cold that I lost dexterity in my fingers and was unable to eat, so I stopped at Mc Donalds in Bourne to warm up with coffee and eat my food. Even sitting indoors it took me some time before I regained enough dexterity in my fingers to be able to eat. I'm sure that I'd have got the 300 miles without the waterproof failure and I think I was still tired from it the following day, so lost a few more miles there as well.
I ditched the old waterproof and swapped it for one of my other 3 good ones (a brand new one, which served me well for the rest of the month)
I had it mind for another 300 miler on the 3rd weekend, but I knew that it wouldn't work as I was too far behind with sleep, so kept it steady and tried for a 300 on the last day.

The bike did good. I had the 3 Raleighs but intended to use the one with the power meter for the whole month. The whole month record was a training ride and research project on how to ride the year and test out my theories, see what I can learn, so having power data was extremely important to me.
I wore out one set of front and rear tyres (both were not new when I started) The front tyre was very old and had a defect because it had done so many miles. The two new tyres are still in very good shape.
I used 2 chains and the 2nd is now in need of replacement. I'm astonished at how well the Connex chains last! They sponsored me for the year record and I grossly overestimated how many chains I would need because I based it on my previous experience of chain wear. These Connex chains are the most enduring I've ever used and I have only used a 3rd of them as a result!
A gear cable had a loose strand so was replaced and my front brake needs some attention. I think that's good going for over 7000 miles with virtually no maintenance.
I also discovered that power meter batteries need replacing every 20 days for Month/Year record riding. I had one day with no power data because the battery died and I couldn't get one at any of my stops (I should have carried a spare as I have lots at home) A battery died on another day, but a local papershop sold me one.

The whole month seems to have flown by and I enjoyed it. I never really enjoyed much of the year but the month was great. If someone had told me that everything is set up for me to keep going for the year, then I'd gladly keep going. I'm sitting at home on my computer thinking I should be out on the road, but I am left with a lot of work to do.
I had GPS, phone and computer problems.
I was set up so that at the end of each day, I would plug my main GPS into the computer and it would automatically upload to Strava and my coach. The GPS devloped a problem (I think it just got full of data) and I never had time to investigate. So I stopped using that GPS as I had a brand new one and my old Etrex as well as another spare, which had issues but was still an additional unreliable backup which I did use on one occasion.
Then my phone and computer developed a problem (still to be solved) so I couldn't get on line, so I used an old netbook to upload to Strava and had someone on standby with their computer if that failed. That was why I stopped tweeting and uploading photos to Strava etc. Uploading to Strava took longer and I never had time to send tweets etc with a slow netbook.
Once I've sorted my home out, I'll look at the data from the rides with my coach.
I think I have learned from the month record and confirmed some of my theories. I think that I got quite a few things right and can improve on those theories with the data I have and improved fitness.
Once I have looked at the data with my coach and we have the numbers, I'll have a better idea of a date for another go at the year.

About 6-8 weeks ago, I was afraid of another go at the year but was never going to give up on it. Even after a good training ride, i was thinking about doing the year again and I now understand what is meant by a "choking fear"
I always thought that doing the month record would not only help with the research, training and preparation for the year. But also put my head back in the right place for another go. I was right. It's turned everything around and I can't wait to get going on the year again.

The story continues...

« Reply #126 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:05:54 am »
Hurrah! Congratulations Steve.

I could have done about 15 miles more on the last day but went for tea with Kajsa as I'd already got the record.

How very English.

« Reply #127 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:17:49 am »
Well done Steve, and thanks for the update. Good luck with the new year if you decide to go for it; I always thought you had Tommy's distance in you, but next year Amanda will likely have raised the bar a fair bit.

Samuel D

« Reply #128 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:23:09 am »
Interesting. By the way, what power meter were you using?

Congratulations on breaking the record with this incredible distance.

If you go for the year record again, how about using only an upright bicycle? Doing it that way, on public roads, in British weather, would be its own achievement regardless of the impressive – but quite different – things that others are doing.

But I’m sure you’ve thought about these matters more than I have.

« Reply #129 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:27:21 am »
Nice one Steve, you managed well even with the problems,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to cheering you on again for the year record.
Eddington Number 75

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #130 on: 03 October, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »
Good work, Steve! It has been fascinating watching you and Amanda playing cat-and-mouse. Best of luck if you do decide whether to go for The Year again. Will you wait until Amanda finishes so that you know what you have to beat?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #131 on: 03 October, 2016, 12:22:57 pm »
Well done Steve,

I am one of those that gets a great deal of vicarious enjoyment out of your achievements.

« Reply #132 on: 03 October, 2016, 01:05:41 pm »
Well done Steve, incredible.   Can I ask about your current diet?   

It seems as if you are still on a high fat diet.  Its something my partner and I have committed to in recent months and I am wondering if you are finding any tangible benefits from that... ie, less need to feed and fat loss?   

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #133 on: 03 October, 2016, 01:35:48 pm »
congratulations Steve, it felt great to read your upbeat account, huge respect! i like how you describe the things as they are (not better or worse, as most people tend to). sort out the electronic issues, it should be a seamless process with a seamless backup(s) - and you're good to go!! :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #134 on: 03 October, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »
Steve, I'm sure you've been told this before but you're a massive hardass.  Chapeau  :thumbsup:

« Reply #135 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:25:35 pm »
Interesting. By the way, what power meter were you using?

Congratulations on breaking the record with this incredible distance.

If you go for the year record again, how about using only an upright bicycle? Doing it that way, on public roads, in British weather, would be its own achievement regardless of the impressive – but quite different – things that others are doing.

But I’m sure you’ve thought about these matters more than I have.

I use a Quarq power meter. their top of the range one. I could have probably got two Stages power meters for the same money, but they have a reputation of unreliability. I know that my bikes are reliable and doing a bike swap because of a failing power meter still takes time, so I went for a reliable power meter. Besides, I could have fitted it to another bike reasonably quickly.

I am not convinced that Amanda's circuit is best. We haven't seen the whole year yet, so it's too early to say either way. She's had a few losses from bad weather. I'm also not convinced that riding at a constant effort is best and my gut feeling from the last month and what I did confirms that but I'll have a better idea when I look at the data.
I think that I have my routes as good as I can get them. To give an idea. On training rides I was getting about 18mph for 190watts but during the month I was getting about 17mph for 140-150watts (I need to check that with the data) What makes a good training route and what makes a good record route is a bit different. On training rides I go for anything that avoids the need to stop pedaling at all but on my month record routes it's whatever gives the best speed for the least effort. Freewheeling isn't a problem on month record routes and stopping at the occasional junction or traffic light doesn't matter so much if it gives access to miles of easy roads with a good tailwind.
I also think that a small amount of easy climbing could have benefits. But I intend to look at some flatter and very sheltered roads near Cirencester for very windy days. I think they may only work at night because they seem to be very narrow and used by walkers, horses and cars, so I could lose a lot from traffic in the daytime. But I need to have a proper look. Circuits do have a very big advantage in that I can store food and water on the circuit, which would save time getting supplies during the day. A good circuit near Cirencester could work very well. Not just because of it potentially being a good circuit, but also because with a prevailing SW wind, I could use it as a holding area while I wait for a day with a good tailwind to Norfolk.

Consistency is key, is often said. I would say that balance is key. I can't be consistant unless I have consistent conditions. I don't. The wind changes in intensity and direction. I have to work around what weather I have. The rides I did at the end of the month, where I rode past midnight were because of wind direction and earlier starts. Turning for home too early would have really slowed me down. If I got sleepy because of the extra riding hours I'd have found a hotel. There's nothing I can do about the wind.
As long as I don' get too far behind on sleep, I can ride fast enough at any hour of the day. But that must be balanced out with enough sleep so I end up with some long and short days. I try to pick the easiest battles and try to get the best advantage from the weather.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #136 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »
Have you considered riding with others more (which will favour using smaller circuits)? As you know, there is a big benefit in drafting once riding speeds are close to 20 mph.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #137 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »
Good work, Steve! It has been fascinating watching you and Amanda playing cat-and-mouse. Best of luck if you do decide whether to go for The Year again. Will you wait until Amanda finishes so that you know what you have to beat?

I'd rather go sooner than later.
I think that Amanda may have increased her mileage because there was a storm forecast, but it ended up elsewhere, so she ended up gaining a few extra miles, but now she is being hit with some pretty bad weather so may have done the right thing anyway.
That's just my speculation. I don't know her ride plan, I'm just watching what she does and seeing what I can learn from it.
I don't think it's especially important for me to know what Amanda ends up with. I think that she will continue to improve, given the way she has been going. I've messaged her to tell her that she has 3 free goes at the month and that I think she could beat my record, judging by how she seems to be getting stronger.
If Amanda is getting stronger, then in theory, so can I. I just have to do a few more miles. I do think that I got stronger during the month and once I look at the data I should have a better idea. My biggest power output was on my last day and it was quite a jump. I don't think I could have done it a few days before then. I intentionally rode a bit easier in the lead up to the last day in hope that I made a recovery and could ride faster with less perceived effort. It seemed to have worked, though I did take a lot of caffeine and rode hard all day except for the last hour or so. My route to meet Kajsa wasn't optimal, it was what would get me there in time to meet her and was good enough. I knew I could do enough miles so I went for enjoyment as well as desirable power data and didn't worry quite so much about doing the best possible distance.

« Reply #138 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:25:00 pm »
Well done Steve, incredible.   Can I ask about your current diet?   

It seems as if you are still on a high fat diet.  Its something my partner and I have committed to in recent months and I am wondering if you are finding any tangible benefits from that... ie, less need to feed and fat loss?

I intend to do some films about the month and year records for a You tube channel and go into equipment etc to answer questions that I keep getting asked.

the diet basically was about reducing insulin. The adaption trained me to not produce so much insulin so that when I take in carbs, they don't get wiped out by insulin spikes. I basically ran on extremely low carbs for a fortnight, which had me very close to the bonk all the time. I was getting strong cravings for carb rich foods. In theory I shouldn't have been doing any exercise because my blood sugar was so low. I was also carrying flapjacks in my saddlebag incase I got the bonk, so I was riding very close to the bonk with very strong cravings for carb rich foods and not eating them! Those 2 weeks were harder than riding in sub zero temperatures in January!
The next week, I added olive oil to my vegetables. We knew I could add oil because my weight stableized.
What happened was that at the start of the 1st 2 weeks I was running near enough entirely on body fat and losing 500g a day. My weight stableized after about 10 days, so we knew that I wasn't burning so much body fat, I must have been getting those calories from somewhere and I wasn't eating anymore, so the diet was starting to work. My insulin must have reduced and instead of insulin robbing me of the carbs I was getting from my vegetables, I was using it for energy. Adding olive oil reduces the release of carbs further. If I'd have done that in the 1st 2 weeks, I'd have got the bonk.
I also started adding small amounts of (the right kind of) starch on the 3rd or 4th week. No wheat! The GI is too high. Only oats (porridge) potatoes with skins, brown rice or rye. Thats because of the GI (Glycaemic Index, the release of carbs) is slow and keeps the insulin low. I also always start each meal with a few mouthfuls of protein first. That's because as soon as you put food into your mouth, the digestive system starts up and if you taste something sweet, your insulin spikes immediately. That's why diet drinks don;t work. Aspartine tastes 10 times sweeter than sugar so if you drink diet coke, your insulin will skyrocket. You're better off with a sugary drink!
I also eat a small amount of fruit, so I'm not on zero carb and do take in some relatively high GI foods.
I was also allowed one "cheat meal" a week where I broke all the rules, except for the eating protein first.
Once I was better adapted, I was told that I would be OK so long as I ate well 70% of the time.

When I started training with Emily Cox, she put me into the high intensity riding steadily because we didn't know that I could handle it. Mainly because I hadn't done anything high intensity for so long. She was also unsure that I would have enough glycogen because of my diet and advised me to carry a few gels just in case I bonked but she did have an open mind.
What did happen in training was that almost every time I hit the top end of what she set me to do without any problems. She was surprised at how little I was eating during rides.
When I rode the 12 hour TTs I ate mostly cheese and oatcakes. I couldn't stick strictly to the diet for practical reasons, but I had the 70% rule in my favour, so cheese was my protein and fat. I think I also ate carrots for my veg and oatcakes were my starch.
I did grab a few gels at the end as well to give a boost.
Similar for the 24 hour.
My 100 didn't go so well. I underestimated how long it would take me (it turned out to be hillier than I expected) I planned on a 4hr 30 min ride and reckoned I could get through the event without a feed. It was at around 4:20 that my energy ran low and I struggled and slowed down for the last 40 mins. Lessons learned!

In training I started using a Nutri Bullet so that I could take in vegetables very quickly with minimal preparation. I only used it at home in the end. I intended to carry liquidised veg with me but the temperatures got quite high in September and I didn't want to risk drinking rotting veg. I assumed it would rot faster in a liquidised state. I did eat carrots on the go sometimes.

I mostly stuck to my diet at first but after about a week I started to eat a lot more. I had lost body fat.
I ended up eating a lot of nuts. I don't know how they are on the GI scale. But I stayed with the diet basics as much as I could. I ate protein first, usually cheese or meat. Vegetables were usually eaten for breakfast and supper but I ended up having supper on the road so I could afford to ride a bit slower. This also meant I didn't need as big a breakfast because I was eating a lot on the road. I even skipped breakfast in favour of getting out earlier a few times because I was so well fed.
The diet went to pot on the last day (and on the sportive) I was celebrating my record ride and mostly eating cake  ;D I did have a carvery on my way home from the sportive.
I interestingly, my taste changed once I adapted to my diet. My sugar addiction was killed. Sweet treats don't taste as good (but are still enjoyable) but my veg tastes a lot better. I always liked veg, but I like it much more now and after the end of my record when it would have slowed me down to get vegetables, I was really looking forward to some good veg to eat.
I'll get back to it now.
I think I need to eat more fat (of the right kind, such as olive oil) because I lost a few kilos of fat.

So, I do think it is working very well. I did cheat it now and then for time saving practical reasons and will be very strict on it for the next week or so. According to conventional wisdom, I couldn't have done my training rides on what I ate. If you try to do the same, you won't be able to, unless you do the adaption.
Even so, I still had to fill my jersey pockets twice for each feed because of the sheer volume of calories I needed. I was spending about an hour a day not moving because of traffic (I lost 8 mins in 60 miles one day from traffic!) toilet stops, filling bottles and preparing food to be eaten on the road from my pockets and zipped up my jersey.
After about a week or two, I made a point of slowing down to recovery ride and eat, treating a day as 4 interval sessions with 3 feeds/recoveries. Then I added a recovery/feed at the end of some days, which saved time when I got home.

« Reply #139 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:36:58 pm »
congratulations Steve, it felt great to read your upbeat account, huge respect! i like how you describe the things as they are (not better or worse, as most people tend to). sort out the electronic issues, it should be a seamless process with a seamless backup(s) - and you're good to go!! :thumbsup:

Seamless backup is the problem with Garmin Express when you have several GPSs.
As soon as you plug your device into your computer, garmin Express extracts all the rides from it and distributes it onto Strava etc.
But when (not if, when) your main GPS has a problem, it gets messy.
If you set up your back up GPSs onto Garmin Express, it will do the same, upload all of your rides so you either have to delete data from your backup devices every day (I'm not happy with deleting backup data!) or go on to Strava and delete all the duplicate rides.
Had I been on the year record, I'd have sorted out my "master" GPS or just bought a new one and used that as master and gone back to seamless uploading. I picked the easiest battle and went for uploading via Garmin Express without registering my backup GPS.
But then my computer went down and I had to upload direct to Strava. Solveable problems, but they didn't desperately need solving for the month record.
I have other things I can do to give me a few advantages. I'll be experimenting with food pouches to try to cut down time spent organising food and pinch a few extra miles. I'm not sure it will work with the amount of clutter I already have on my handlebars, but it must be tried.

« Reply #140 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:47:10 pm »
Have you considered riding with others more (which will favour using smaller circuits)? As you know, there is a big benefit in drafting once riding speeds are close to 20 mph.

Drafting will only really work on flatter roads and circuits would work best. I had an elite road racer ride with me one day for a few miles and even he couldn't have really paced me over slightly hilly terrain. But if I can find a good circuit at Cirencester, then I think it's a possibility.
Even if they can't ride on the front, it'd be nice to have company now and then!
Though it could be that a circuit near Cirencester may only work at night because of reduced hold ups from other road users. Some of those roads are only just a cars width but have trees either side about 10 meters high
The other benefits with having other riders on a circuit would be that I could get food and drink hand ups.
I don't think that doing the whole year on a circuit is best when I could be doing whole days oif tailwind or at least days of more wind advatnage than disadvantage, but I do think that circuits are a good thing to have in the toolkit.

« Reply #141 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:50:42 pm »
Congratulations Steve.

Would it work at all to have two Strava and two Garmin accounts with a pair of each associated/linked to each different GPS?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #142 on: 03 October, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
Congratulations Steve.

Would it work at all to have two Strava and two Garmin accounts with a pair of each associated/linked to each different GPS?

It'd still extract every ride fromthe device as soon as plugged in, so I'd still end up with duplicates. ;D

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #143 on: 03 October, 2016, 07:45:47 pm »
Congratulations Steve.

It'd still extract every ride fromthe device as soon as plugged in, so I'd still end up with duplicates. ;D

could be solved by having two separate laptops/PCs or a laptop/PC with a virtual environment running for the separate garmin express accounts to sync. "fit" files can also be sync'ed manually, by turning off garmin express and going directly to garmin connect website and uploading the particular day's file, then cutting and pasting it offline as a backup.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #144 on: 03 October, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
Steve,
Your diet changes - and their effects - are really interesting. I think everyone would agree that diet is one of the key foundations you need to get right for this sort of endeavour, so it's good to see your progress. I've been shifting to low-carb eating over recent years, but with nowhere near the commitment you've shown.

the diet basically was about reducing insulin. The adaption trained me to not produce so much insulin so that when I take in carbs, they don't get wiped out by insulin spikes.

How did you measure your insulin levels/responses?   (I hate needles!)

Cheers,
Matty
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #145 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:07:32 pm »
During the first year record.

We didn't see that many duplicates from backup devices on Steve's Strava account. Maybe around a dozen times. I don't know whether Steve had auto upload and sync on Garmin Connect back then.  Mostly the duplicates had almost identical mileages (within a mile or so), with the odd one where there was a big difference. This would be because one device had stopped recording during that day. Most duplicates just involved deleting one of the tracks. Sometimes the duplicates weren't always perfectly aligned and overlapped in time, but not perfectly. These latter ones involved truncating one or the other tracks to ensure we didn't count mileage / ride time twice.

The Strava API I used to pull the data onto the one year time trial website and calculate the total distance, exposed the device used for the upload I believe (from memory). So you could probably generate an automatic email to a support team if duplicates detected. Eyeballing the Strava account whilst backing the gpx up each day did no harm last time though.

So when you recruit your support team for your next attempt. I suggest as before there is some one (fluent in GPX) assigned to check for duplicates and potentially missing data as well as a liaison with Drew at UCMA in case of queries.

Not that it took long for the "Internet" to comment on any duplicates!

« Reply #146 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »
... The whole month seems to have flown by and I enjoyed it. I never really enjoyed much of the year but the month was great.
... It's turned everything around and I can't wait to get going on the year again.
The story continues...

Indeed !   The news you enjoyed it is great, and the fact you seem to have renewed enthusiasm, knowledge and confidence for the year is also great.

For now, rest on your laurels.  Chapeau ! :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #147 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:54:27 pm »
also, if the main unit crashes/misbehaves due to too much data on it, there should be a process for a periodic backup-erase with a reminder alarm. (three p's of systemisation - planning->processes->procedures) ;)

« Reply #148 on: 04 October, 2016, 03:54:59 am »
Congratulations Steve.

could be solved by having two separate laptops/PCs or a laptop/PC with a virtual environment running for the separate garmin express accounts to sync. "fit" files can also be sync'ed manually, by turning off garmin express and going directly to garmin connect website and uploading the particular day's file, then cutting and pasting it offline as a backup.

That doesn't sound more seamless than just plug in the device and let it upload and recharge automatically. Not really any different to plugging it in and uploading to Strava and I'd always log on to Strava to check that it's uploaded and name the ride so that followers get an idea of what happened that day.
I would have 3 GPSs recording each day and keep the rides stored in each unit. So I'd have 3 copies of each days ride on 3 devices, plus what I upload to Strava. I'd also copy a batch of files onto my computer from one of the GPSs as further backup. That's what I did for the year anyway.
Probably would be better in a drop box account than my computer.

« Reply #149 on: 04 October, 2016, 04:04:44 am »
Steve,
Your diet changes - and their effects - are really interesting. I think everyone would agree that diet is one of the key foundations you need to get right for this sort of endeavour, so it's good to see your progress. I've been shifting to low-carb eating over recent years, but with nowhere near the commitment you've shown.

the diet basically was about reducing insulin. The adaption trained me to not produce so much insulin so that when I take in carbs, they don't get wiped out by insulin spikes.

How did you measure your insulin levels/responses?   (I hate needles!)

Cheers,
Matty

We didn't. We knew that my insulin was lower because I was riding the same miles, eating the same amount of food, but stopped losing weight. I must have been getting the energy from somewhere. It wasn't from burning as much bodyfat as before because I was no longer losing weight. It can only be from the food I was eating which was protein and very low, slow release carbs (vegetables) I had adapted to be able to use more of the energy I was eating. Adding olive oil slowed down the release further. In theory, I should never bonk, though I did when I rode the 100 because I got my feeding wrong and should have eaten during the event.