Author Topic: The great food shrink...  (Read 2293 times)

The great food shrink...
« on: 11 September, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
Have you noticed how, the practice of 'less for the same price', that has long been done surreptiously, has now become rampant?  It almost seems across the board e.g. chicken breasts that look like they've been cut in half, soup tins with rapidly decreasing diameters... Even Tesco's 'Big Green bags' have been ditched for the smaller version - at the former price of the large bags...  Where will it end?  Post your shrinks here...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: The great food shrink...
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2011, 12:43:49 pm »
The bakers dozen wasn't invented for nowt.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »
Innocent smoothies shrank from 1 litre to 750ml at the same price.  Not that I could afford them anyway.

There is a good reason why bread can only legally be sold in 400g or 800g, since shrinking product size is a well-known tactic going back hundreds of years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
Innocent smoothies shrank from 1 litre to 750ml at the same price.  Not that I could afford them anyway.

There is a good reason why bread can only legally be sold in 400g or 800g, since shrinking product size is a well-known tactic going back hundreds of years.

The honorable gentleman is reminded that the 400g and 800g 'standard' loaf sizes are a 'metrication' of the one pound (454g) and two pound (908g) standard loaves.

The cooked chicken portion pack I buy from Sainsbury's has shrunk from 800g to 740g.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
Where will it end? 
One pea per bag of frozen peas.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2011, 01:32:04 pm »
Cue claims that Wagon Wheels haven't really shrunk - when we all know that they used to be seven inches in diameter.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »
And gob stoppers
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »
Cue claims that Wagon Wheels haven't really shrunk - when we all know that they used to be seven inches in diameter.

mmm that special flavour of stale biscuit...  Personally I wouldn't mind if wagon wheels shrunk into oblivion and were never seen again.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

The honorable gentleman is reminded that the 400g and 800g 'standard' loaf sizes are a 'metrication' of the one pound (454g) and two pound (908g) standard loaves.
I remember seeing some late-mediaeval rules that said "a one-penny roll to weigh [can't remember] oz and three half-penny buns to weigh the same" so clearly the practice of defining the price and setting the size to fit it had legal standing at one time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:37:39 am »
Meanwhile the modal crisp packet now contains more crisps than I want to eat at once.
Also fairy cakes have approx. doubled in size since the 1970s according to a poster at the GPs (and therefore have more fat and sugar per single fairy cake).
Plus supermarkets are forcing fruit suppliers to supply 90mm ish fruit rather than the much more handy sized 65mm (4 per lb) as people buy apples etc. by quantity and not by weight.
(Actually I prefer what is called 'fun size' anyway (55mm approx))
Once upon a time I had a job sorting apples by size.  Oh the excitement!

Haven't noticed the shrinking chicken as I mostly go to a butcher and it's not pre-packed.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:39:40 am »
Geobars, a year or two ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:44:53 am »
Haribo.  The new packet contains 40g less and costs more >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2011, 12:52:41 pm »
Plus supermarkets are forcing fruit suppliers to supply 90mm ish fruit rather than the much more handy sized 65mm (4 per lb) as people buy apples etc. by quantity and not by weight.
(Actually I prefer what is called 'fun size' anyway (55mm approx))
Once upon a time I had a job sorting apples by size.  Oh the excitement!
I search out smaller apples and oranges, as the larger ones can be too too large for my son's lunch box, or indeed sometimes his appetite, while the smaller ones are still big enough for me. Also, the smaller varieties are often tastier. I buy them by weight at a greengrocer's, or as Kirst would have us say, a costermonger. You get the same mong for less cost.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »
only get 5 apples in a bag now instead of 6

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »
Curlywurlys.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2011, 05:56:25 pm »
On Uxbridge Road, the fried chicken shops have started a price war with each other.
Sammy's fried Chicken offers chips, 2 hot wings and 1 piece of fried chicken for £1.49.  For £2.49, you can get a can of soft drink, chips, 2 hot wings and 2 pieces of fried chicken. Chicken Cottage matches them for price. They also do 7" pizzas for 99p.  The cost of fried chicken is about the same price as KFC were charging in the early 90s. The 2 branches of KFC on Uxbridge road, have not entered into the cut throat price competition.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 25 December, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »
I received a BIG box of Black Magic chocolates from the nice old man next door. 376g and 36 chox; poor old man has been DONE!