Author Topic: Andy's LEJoG: Long Day's Journey into Night  (Read 4653 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Andy's LEJoG: Long Day's Journey into Night
« on: 09 May, 2011, 01:44:50 am »
Cast:
Andy Gates, a solo rider making the journey from Land's End to John'o'Groats
Kim, an engineer with a tendency to fettle
Charlotte, cake hunter and eater of lemon tarts
redshift, a commuter with an angry streak and a flaky phone

Prologue
The story so far:
 A solo LEJoG rider, Andy Gates, is heading for the halfway stage on his epic once-in-a-lifetime journey.  Braving hostile headwinds and combat-hardened tent-busting slugs, he is joined by Kim, and later Charlotte, for a couple of days in the strange world of The North West of England.  From Crewe they take a scientific detour to visit Jodrell Bank.
Meanwhile, redshift and partner Nick are arranging for a stopover at a camp site near Preston, after which shifty will head South to meet the intrepid trio.

Now, read on...

There's little that's worse than waking up after too much work and not enough sleep.  Add to that the need to pitch camp and catch a train with a bicycle and then meet three strangers,* and shifty runs out of mental spoons faster than you can say "Oh, bugger."  The previous night, whilst riding home from work in the rain, I was having serious doubts about whether I actually wanted to do this ride at all.  Whilst I can have a superficial chat with the odd stranger, I don't like crowds (i.e. more than two people), and I'm not great at the whole social interaction/'getting to know you' thing at all.  Sometimes the things in my head have teeth and claws and people aren't allowed in to meet them.  The fact that it wasn't my ride made me shut up and do it.  This ride is Andy's ride and being a whiny loner had to have no place in it.

0540 Saturday - up and at'em.  Fill the car, bikes on the roof and we're off.  Not sunny, but not raining.  Very humid.  We arrived at the campsite (Brylea near Preston) and start to pitch the tent.  This is the luxurious Khyam tent in which Nick can actually stand up.  We deliberately got a tent with a huge porch for car camping.  Sometimes it's nice to have room to sit and chat and brew up without being cramped.  However, it does pitch best if there's at least two people to wrangle the thing.  The breeze sprange up whilst we were pitching, and it took a little longer than anticipated.  Once done, I legged it for Preston, missing the Warrington train by about 30s.  Bugger.  Now I'm going to be late.

The basic plan was to meet up with the others at Lymm, and assuming Andy and Kim met Charlotte at 0810 as arranged, I thought sometime around 11-ish would be about right.  Now I wasn't even going to be on the train until 11-ish, but at least I had time for some breakfast.  At the station I had croissant aux amandes and espresso - in Preston: Truly the centre of cosmopolitan cuisine.  The seating area at the coffee stand is tiny, and I perched next to a chap who was taking his 12-year-old Mercian up to the Lakes for a spin.  

I spoke to the platform manager at Preston, whilst watching the (empty) fuel flasks rolling through on their way from Sellafield.  He called through to Warrington to make sure there would be someone on the platform to open the guard's van for me.  If I didn't get the bike off there, the next stop was Euston.  The rain started again just north of Wigan, and by the time I reached Warrington it was set in properly.  The later start and the weather meant that the traffic in Warrington was heavier than I had wanted to deal with.  Working my way out via the dreadful gyratory and one-way system in the pissing rain was merely the cap on the start of the day.  Somebody decided that local route signposts are unnecessary because, clearly, nobody from outside Warrington would ever try to use their roads, and nobody from inside Warrington would ever wish to leave.  Grrr.  Another one to add to the 'Not going there again' list.

The back road to Lymm (B5157 Thelwall New Road) is actually flattish, straightish and quite a pleasant ride.  It quickly runs out of the urban area and leads, via a short section of the A56 and the Warrington Road, to Lymm.  Quicker than I thought, in fact.  The village is at the bottom of a small bowl-shaped dip and in places is paved with setts.  I can't remember ever being in Lymm before, but it's a nice little village centre with a decent cafe (large latte and a chocolate/peanut brownie).  It was at this point I found out my phone was playing up.  My jacket lining was blown and the phone failed to send a text message and dropped into a water-induced boot/reboot cycle.  For 20 minutes or so (about as long as I could spin out the coffee stop) I couldn't even send a text message.  I asked at the cafe if there was anywhere in the village that sold phones, but there wasn't so I headed up to the village stocks and waited for the rain to stop, keeping the phone warm in my hands in the hope that I could boil off enough water for it to start working again.  The rain gradually lessened and stopped.

Eventually, it burst back into life and I could delete the stalled message, which seemed to cure the reboot problem.  Andy, Kim and Charlotte were heading for Knutsford, and suggested I meet them there.  Never been to Knutsford either, but found the route using the maps in the phone, and I was off.  A56 followed by the B5159 High Legh road.  Suddenly there was a queue, and cars turning round in the road.  A head-on collision between two cars meant the road was mostly blocked - the cars were on each verge but the narrow gap between them meant no cars could go through.  All the airbags had blown and I could see that people were already involved in care and comfort so there was little point in me stopping.  Two cyclists coming in the opposite direction picked their way gingerly through the wreckage strewn across the road, and I did likewise and carried on.  The A50 was very quiet - a lot quieter than anticipated apart from the Police and the ambulance on their way to the crash - and I soon found out that it was closed through Knutsford for the May parade with Morris dancing and badger poking and other such traditions.  Another SMS to find the trio showed me that they were at the opposite end of the diversion, and thus were easy to find.  By now though it was getting on for 1445, and I knew there was no way we were going to get to Preston in daylight.

End of Part One.  Stay tuned for more from the intrepid riders as they battle route errors, rain, thunder & lightning, and bravely run the gauntlet of a Billinge hostelry...

* Whilst we've communicated through forums for some years now, I'd never actually met Charlotte, Andy or Kim.  I do know they're strange though.  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Andy's LEJoG: Long Day's Journey into Night
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2011, 03:13:39 am »
*channel flip*

Well, what can I say?  It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I'm now an honorary member of the Liberal Democrats[1] gnarly randonneur caucus, I suppose.

So, the Original plan was that I meet up with andygates somewhere in the vicinity of Clun first thing on Friday morning, and ride the Midlandsy section with him for the day.  Interest from Charlotte and redshift caused this to evolve into a proper weekend of camping-based Silly Bike Adventuring, which naturally I couldn't resist.

I tried and failed to pack light (though it seemed I still managed to pack less than Charlotte, and andygates was naturally hauling a far more significant load), and set off for Craven Arms by train at early o'clock on Friday.  This went surprisingly well, given that my previous experiences of Arriva Trains Wales services have been distinctly dodgy bike-wise.

"Somewhere in the vicinity of Clun" turned out to be Foxholes Castle campsite, which managed that ever endearing combination of being a radio blackspot at the top of a bastard hill.  Nevertheless, after a little under an hour's largely uneventful[2] riding, I successfully tracked him down by the fallback method of simply rolling up to the campsite and asking the proprietor if they had seen "a guy called Andy, on a bike, epic facial hair?".  They pointed me in the direction of the tent field, where it seems he had pitched on the far side to maximise altitude.

I nibbled some breakfast (it takes a good 20km before I'm properly awake) while he packed up his impressively over-specced tent, and then we were off.

The ride started well, with a gravelly descent into Bishop's Castle.  Gravelly descents being infinitely preferable to gravelly ascents, which I'd had the dubious pleasure of on the way up.  Out of Bishop's Castle, and we headed north up the A488 to Shrewsbury.  The reasoning being that 'A' roads tend to take sensible route around across hills, and never[3] have chevrons on them.

The route may have been sensible, but the gravity certainly wasn't:  There were numerous occasions where we found ourselves pedalling downhill, in spite of a nominal tailwind.  Any attempts to freewheel were futile.  They'd clearly installed the hills at a wonky angle, or the Earth's rotation was messing things up, or something.  We carried on with the relentless climb until, as I'd hoped, we ran out of 'up'.  Then followed some of the best leisurely freewheeling descending I've done.  Not R17 material, for the most part, but the road kept going *down* for a good 9km.  I don't recommend it in the other direction :)

The road stopped going down, and we found ourselves in Minsterly.  This seemed like good time to stop, at which point I realised that my front brake wasn't doing all that well in the stopping department.  A spot of fettling concluded that it was merely pad wear, and with some precision tweaking I soon had a pair of significantly stoppier brakes.  That sorted, we took the opportunity for a quick game of Pooh Sticks.  Unfortunately that was a no-score draw, as it turned out that someone else had already played Pooh Sticks on that bridge using half a tree and the contents of their kitchen bin - the debris snagging our sticks mere inches from the finish.

Appreciating the novelty of having to pedal to make the bikes go, we carried on through Pontesbury and Hanwood - where a class of middle school children expressed their approval at my bike - and into Shrewsbury, which we learned was the birthplace of Charles Darwin:

(We also learned that recumbents are much better as a camera stand than the ground when using the self-timer.)

Some slightly older school children declared my bike "sick as fuck", which I reckon is a new benchmark for down-with-the-yoof coolness.  A little random navigation then got us to a slightly surreal athletics-themed cafe, where you can get protein shakes with your CAKE.  I reasoned that at least they wuldn't have a philosophical objection to the presence of what, with hindsight, I laughably described as 'smelly sweaty cyclists'.  Consulting the map, and bearing in mind that the night's campsite was about as close to Chester as a biscuit, we decided to ditch the CTC's route and continue with the successful strategy of using nice sensible-looking A-roads to avoid the worst of the hills.  

Out of Shrewsbury on the A528, I noted that all the places named "mount pleasant" I've been to have been oxymoronic from a cycling perspective.  Then the B5476 for a nice long straight descent (in the interest of knee-conservation I failed to reach 40mph), stopping briefly to de-insect my eye and to reinforce my pannier (which, through an unfortunate consequence of design incompatibility, was determined to wear a hole in itself on my rear brake mechanism) with some gaffer tape.  We then continued to Wem, where we made use of a Little Shop to stock up on vital supplies.

The rest of the afternoon was a much quieter, and indeed flatter, laney route through Whitchurch to Wrenbury.  The weather had improved greatly, to the point that mild sunburn was a feature, and I ran out of water (the downside of using a hydration pack rather than bottles is it's a lot harder to judge how much you've used) a couple of kilometres from the campsite.

The campsite was reasonable enough, apart from the fact that the facilities block was being refurbished, and they had no showers available, and we had to use the pub-quality pub toilets.  That didn't stop them charging us £10 each for a night, though.   >:(
We pitched up in a grassy field near the invisible tap, and a reasonable distance from the BSA motorcycle rally we were warned to avoid, though they appeared harmless enough.

That evening was spent mucking about skiddling electrons from one device to another, peering at maps and definitely not playing pool.  It had occurred to me that since we were significantly nearer to Crewe than to Chester and that Charlotte's train was likely to stop there, an alternative route for the next day would be a good idea.  While peering at the (1:250k) map, attempting to infer gradients from place names, rivers, radio masts and the like, I noticed the Pickmere radio telescope was marked.  I wondered if this was Jodrell Bank, and since it wasn't far off our route, whether it was worth visiting.  Andygates determined the actual location of Jodrell Bank using the electric internet, and we concluded that while it was slightly further off our route, the third largest steerable dish in the world wasn't to be missed, and that we'd save as many miles by not heading west to Chester and back.  I texted Charlotte suggesting this option, and a Plan was formed.

We went to bed just as the rain started, and were woken several times during the night by the sound of heavy rain on the tents.  While my cheap Argos effort managed not to actually leak, it did get a bit soggy and was invaded by gastropods.  I reckon those are even worse than earwigs.   :hand:

Saturday started moistly, and we were less than quick to get going.  Drying the tents was a bit of a lost cause, though I did manage to evict the slugs before stowing mine in the pannier.  We set off for Crewe, to meet Charlotte who had done the early o'clock train thing up from London.  In the interests of making progress we took a nice sensible route that hardly involved any pseudo-motorway dual carriageway, stopping only for this:

Arriving in Crewe, we bypassed the station (which I regard to be a circle of railway hell second only to Mordor Central itself) and headed straight for the coffee shop that Charlotte had found.  We met up and caffeine was consumed while I failed to diagnose a fault with my Mk 2 dynamo charger prototype, as I had left my lightweight racing multimeter at home to save weight.  I haven't investigated yet, but I've made a note that the finished article should include sufficient blinkenlights and test probe attachment points so that you're not completely in the dark without a proper electronics toolkit.  Also a modular design to allow for faulty sections to be disconnected if necessary (so solar can still be used if the dynamo section packs in, or so the battery section can be bypassed entirely, for example).

ETA: I've now bench-tested the charger.  Fault was the output stage of the photovoltaic optoisolator chip controlling the input FETs.  No, I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm reasonably sure it wasn't a thermal issue.  Annoyingly, if I'd had a multimeter, and the sense to have socketed the chip, I could have fixed that on the road by moving the whole lot two pins to the side and using the spare channel.  Worth bearing in mind - I'd eschewed sockets on the basis that they don't take well to vibration, but they do make repairs and diagnostics a lot easier.

Then the rain began.  It was rather a lot of rain, and Charlotte looked unimpressed.  Andygates and I had gone the night without washing and were already cultivating the gnarly randonneur smell, so were only slightly less bothered by the prospect of a thorough soaking.  Which is just as well, as that was what we got, with assistance from road spray on the A534 to make sure we were drenched from all angles.  Switching to the minor roads at Sandbach ensured that we had plenty of mud and liquid cowshit to go with the soaking.  The cycling was a lot more pleasant for not having to dodge lorries, though.

We had a couple of minor navigational moments, including the Openstreetmap data encouraging the Garmin to lead us down a non-NSTN-approved farm track in the pouring rain.  With some ziggy-zaggy goodness we eventually made progress in the right direction, and the fine upsitting Mr Gates eventually spotted a large dish behind some hedge or other.

The Lovell Telescope is big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.  I mean, you may think the dish on the wall of Mal Volio Towers is a bit on the large side, but that's just peanuts compared to the Lovell Telescope.

Switching off our assortment of RF-generating gadgetry, we entered the site and made our way to the visitors' centre.  We were pleased to discover they had a proper bicycle parking facility with a roof, Sheffield stands and a highly trained guard duck.  Lunch was had in the cafe, while we watched the dish moving between targets through the subsiding rain.  At some point we realised that we were supposed to be meeting redshift in Lymm, and indeed had to be the other side of Preston that evening.  A quick visit to the loos (during which andygates temporarily morphed into Wowbagger) and a rather shrieky change back into my soaking wet jersey later, and we bid goodbye to SCIENCE and the sitting duck and set off.

A brief outbreak of common sense had seen to arrange to meet redshift halfway, in Knutsford.  Our stay was brief, but suffice to say that it included such hideousness as bagpipes, morris dancing, an out of tune glockenspiel performance of the theme from The Great Escape and re-enactment of the royal wedding by small children.  It came as something of a relief when the nice normal beardy guys on penny farthings turned up.

Eventually redshift fought her way past the road closures and appeared, and we escaped the may-day madness in favour of a bit of cycling.  The weather improved steadily as we rode up through Lymm, taking in some road surfaces of a quality that wouldn't have been out of place on the FNRttC to Blackpool, and then over the toll bridge at Warburton.

Charlotte had expressed concern at the amount of blood in her cake stream, so a motivational pub stop was had, and Mr Gates partook of the motivational beer.  Exchanging motivation for progress, we continued through assorted uninspiring villages while I became increasingly stupid without really realising it.  I vaguely recall redshift appealing to my sense of geek navigation with "Look Kim - Winter Hill!", but to be honest my main memory of that 20km is of having an increasingly full bladder and a suspicion that my Stupid Digestive System wasn't working as well as it should.  It became apparent that I was suffering from the bonk just as my odometer rolled past the 100km mark on the summit of the climb up to Billinge - we stopped at the top of the hill, and my attempt to dismount was decidedly non-graceful, in a failure to maintain separation from the ground kind of way.

Emergency chocolate got my legs more-or-less working again, and we rolled down the hill to Billinge, where we stopped at an extremely local pub for essential loo, salty stuff and sugary liquids.  The full extent of my digestive woe became apparent, so I made the reluctant decision to break out the hyoscine tablets and hope I had enough sugary crap to keep me going for the rest of the day.  I apologise for being snappy, irritable and less than entirely coherent - while I'm sure my companions recognised hypoglycaemia talking, it's still a bit cringeworthy with hindsight.   :-[

Fleeing Billinge before the natives took after our recumbent bicycles with pitchforks and flaming torches, I concentrated on keeping the pedals turning and trying not to forget to do important things like give way at roundabouts.  I think there was an evil dog around then, too?  The next bit I really remember is the fast descent from Bank Top, where the road did that going round a bend then disappearing out from under you thing.  The adrenaline from the associated speedy descent woke me up, and I'm fairly sure I started making sense just in time to suffer problems with my front shifting, culminating in what I assumed was a bent chainring, but on closer inspection turned out to merely be loose chainring bolts.  As I sorted that out, the weather noises started.

Through the lanes towards Ecclestone, and the weather hit properly.  Epic fork lightning, lumps of water falling from the sky and sinister rumbling of thunder.  We stopped to put our waterproofs on (I don't usually bother on the recumbent, but I knew I wasn't on top form and the last thing I needed was to get really cold), and then stopped again shortly afterwards so andygates could take the obligatory 500-miles-on-the-odometer photo.

Now I'm still not entirely sure if it was the salt, the effect of the antispasmodics or the drop in temperature, but from then on I felt much, much better.  In fact, I was positively enjoying it, in that masochistic kind of way that comes from being utterly soaking wet on a bike with umpty miles left to do before you can do anything other than keep riding.  The others didn't seem to be having quite as much fun, and Charlotte may have made 'Travelodge' noises.  I was happy to bring up the rear with my Radbot laser of death, humming the Manic street Preachers' Australia while the others picked their way through the soggy darkness in search of a sensible A-road route to Preston.[4]

A sensible route was found, which felt distinctly downhill, but the numbers confirm the opposite.  The jury's out on whether that's down to tailwind, gravitational anomaly or blood sugar.  We stopped in a layby for more chocolate, and got distinctly cold, but I didn't care, and was at the euphoric giggling stage.

I'm sure the others think I'm mad, but the main thought that was going through my head was that since I had the accident in October and have been battling knee problems, I'd been thinking that I might never actually get to do any of this crazy bike shit again.  I'd barely had a taste of it before, and I've been oscillating between abject despair at the fragility of the human body combined with massive waves of JFDI ever since.  That's probably long-term unhealthy, but for now I'm exceedingly happy to have done well over 250km over two days in adverse conditions with a camping load and bugger all in the way of cycling fitness.

Some more bombing down (up?) sensible A-roads (though it seems from the map that some of them were in fact B-roads) had us in Preston just after 10pm.  A decision was made, and redshift accompanied andygates to the campsite while Charlotte and I sought out a Travelodge for some dirty recumbent hotel room action.

(Camera got wet, hence the lack of usable photos before this point.)

While I liked the idea of camping on principle, I was acutely aware that as soon as I stopped riding I was going to start feeling bloody awful, and I'd be a lot better off indoors in the dry with a hot shower available when it happened.  This turned out to be the correct decision, as my body decided it had had enough while waiting to find a place with a room available.  The last kilometre to the Premier Inn was hell, and it took an awful lot of hot water to stop me feeling cold and wobbly.

Many thanks to Charlotte for doing all that complicated organisational brain stuff, and restoring me to some semblance of humanity by procuring a suspicious sausage and associated salty goodness when I'd reached the not-doing-a-very-good-job-of-standing-up stage.  With hindsight, the ride was deeply silly, and I'd fear what might have happened if I'd not been with a group.  On the other hand, if I'd not been with a group, I doubt I'd have got to such advanced levels of silliness in the first place.  On the gripping hand, this sort of heroic stupidity is what it's all about.

This morning was a simple matter of making interesting zombie moaning noises in response to the alarm, eventually culminating in moving from bed. Then drying assorted kit with the hairdrier (surprisingly effective, maybe they're not just for heat-shrink after all) and making our way round the corner to the railway station for our respective trains.  I believe the campers survived the night in somewhat less luxurious conditions, so thoroughly deserved the morning's uncharacteristic bright sunny warmth.

Having arrived home after an uneventful train journey, I've spent the rest of the day waiting for my digestive system to get itself back on track, and have finally eaten some proper food and am feeling merely tired.  With any luck I'll feel enthusiastic about cycling again in time for next weekend's Silly Bike Adventure.

Thanks again to Charlotte for saving me from certain death, redshift for having Proper MapsTM and safely navigating us through the howling wastelands of the post-industrial north-west, and to andygates for fantastic company and indeed for putting me up to this in the first place.  Best of luck for your onward journey - if you need more heavy duty anti-inflammatories give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

:thumbsup:

[1] Optimistic in the face of impending doom.

[2] Novelty roadkill: 2 dead badgers.
     Recumbent laughed at by: three schoolkids, field of sheep.

[3] Theory disproved that evening while planning Saturday's route.

[4] With hindsight it is of course obvious that there are no sensible routes, A-road or otherwise, to Preston.

We now return to your scheduled programming...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
Thank you Kim! A wonderful ride report.

At the Jodrell Bank description I narrowly avoided Shreddie-dashing my-eee pc.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:25:19 am »
Welcome back to Part Two.  Route planning and how to avoid it

We returned to Lymm using the reverse of my route to Knutsford, and the improved weather meant a quick stop to remove my more-or-less useless jacket.  Not knowing the roads meant I didn't recognise, and thus missed the turning down Rectory Lane which would have avoided the descent right into Lymm centre, but the rise out of the village was managed, and aside from another quick diversion into Standish Lane, which more or less set the tone for the rest of the ride, we were back onto the CTC route again.  Warburton Bridge leads to the A57, and a 300m reminder of why A-roads can be a bad idea sometimes.  Left into Hollins Green and thence to Glazebrook took us back to the kind of roads which were more friendly towards us.

The motivational beer stop (orange juice, in my case) brought Charlotte into contact with a slice of lemon tart, which did not survive the encounter.  Discussion was had about the changing nature of Andy's appreciation of food and drink, which appeared to be evolving into the 'everything tastes fantastic' phase.  I fully expect to hear his recipe for a delicious slug pie with crunchy earwig topping by the end of his ride.

The route was fairly simple, but that didn't stop me having to dig out the maps from time to time.  I had used Memory Map to plot the CTC route (with slight amendments) over sections of 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 OS, which print out quite nicely onto four or five sides of A4.  I was however guilty of the failure to number the pages when I printed them.  My excuse was that it was gone midnight when I was printing them and I'd been at work all day Friday.  When offered a pen to mark them up, I offered in response the time-honoured TV/entertainment worker's phrase: "Nah, we'll busk it, like we always do."

Whilst we were stopped, I phoned the destination pub near the campsite to find out what time they stopped serving food on a Saturday.  "7pm" came the reply.  Eep.  That's not happening then.  It now dawned on us that the thing we were going to be fighting was not so much 'time' as 'dinnertime.'  The illusory nature of mealtimes notwithstanding, there's something about the prospect of having a hot meal at the end of an adventure that makes it so much more do-able.  Time to revise and amend.  I fished in my wallet for a bit of paper that one of my colleagues had given me with a few eateries and pubs in Parbold.  If we could make it to Parbold before it was too late, we might grab something to eat there.

The original route goes up the side of the M6 after Ashton-in-Makerfield, but we were actually going to swing slightly further west, then north using the B5207/B5206 to get to Up Holland, and after crossing the M58 take the A577 for a while and turn off at the apex of the bend at Wide Cross, heading for Roby Mill.  However, our need for sustenance caught us, and at the junction between the 5206 and 7 we pulled up to get supplies.  I don't actually have a picture* of the sign that said "Scenic Billinge,"  and I would perhaps have adapted it to say "Billinge.  What a sight."  Suffice to say that the Lounge of the pub we chose (which I won't name, in case I ever again need an emergency Guinness in Billinge) showed it to be a proper pub, with little in the way of soft furnishing, and to my recollection, no carpet.  The landlord, fortunately, had clearly seen stranger sights in his time that the four of us, and didn't bat an eyelid at the order: Two halves of Guinness, two lemonades, four Creme Eggs, four Caramel bars, two packs of Hula Hoops and a Pepperami†. The fact that you could get those products in a pub must mean he sees people like us on a regular basis.  The mind, as they say, boggles.  He did check to see if we wanted straws in the lemonades, and Andy toyed with the idea of presenting Charlotte with a drink with a straw and an umbrella in it, but we sensibly avoided such silliness. 

Parked outside at the table by the door, we restored ourselves and girded our loins for the next bit.  Kim's worry about her state is completely unfounded, as by then I think we were all descending into something of a strange state.  It could only get stranger...

End of Part Two.  In part three we will rejoin the team as they avoid tackling any more hills, and learn more about the North West's schizophrenic weather

* I managed to do the whole thing without taking any pictures, except of the campsite at the end.
† "It's a bit of an animal," says the advert.  I still haven't worked out which bit.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »
*waits with baited breath for the next installment*

I am now doubly  :( that I couldn't join you, bizarrely.  Although it would undoubtably have been an exceptionally silly idea!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Quality reporting ...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:00:27 pm »
 :thumbsup: quality ride reports there. 

I got the somewhat more cranky ded-kim version IRL on Sunday as she attempted to get clean and recover from digestive-DETH and she was still writing this quality report at something-after-1am when I decided I REALLY needed to be in bed for work today.

Keep up the good work - I look forward to the next reports!

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »
Part Three.  This is the End / Gimme Shelter

Torslanda (my brother) phoned. The phone says this was at 1914 on Saturday.  We were still parked at the pub, watching people arriving for their evening out.  Boots!  (ask Charlotte). I have no real idea whether the conversation made any sense.  I know I got everyone to shout 'hello' at him, but mainly it timestamps the point at which we really really knew it was too late to eat properly.  We had to go.  Up to Roby Mill was OK - a bit of a hill but not of a really serious grade.  I'd already expressed the opinion that avoiding Appley Bridge and the climb out of it was a good idea, and had spied out a route (my local colleague who lives in Parbold had a hand in this too) which took us from Roby Mill, (very) downhill to the junction with Lees Lane, which cuts west, more or less following a contour, and allowed us to hit the B5209 west of Parbold, then turn north through the village and onward to Eccleston.  As Kim said, Bank Top and Bank Brow are quick descents, and for the first time ever I overtook a recumbent on a downhill whilst riding an upright.  Andy lost his glasses, and had to nip back and fish them out of the bushes, so Kim and I waited at the corner.  A short uphill lump soon found the contour line and the remainder of that road was much easier.  We stopped to allow Kim to fettle her chainring bolts, and made jokes about how the inevitable end of such a day would be in a McDonalds somewhere.  As Charlotte made encouraging 'baa' sounds at the sheep there was an ominous rumble.  "Ah," I said, "that'll be the thunder we were expecting."

I received what can only be described as A Look from the others.  "We were 'expecting' thunder?" asked Andy.
"Well, the forecast was for showers and then thunder in the evening..." and the atmosphere's getting cooler by the second, but that's nothing to do with the weather.
"It's evening now." Yep, definitely getting colder.
"Well, yes.  I hadn't really mentioned it this morning because we were due to be at the pub by now."  Positively frosty...

Parbold:  Gone in a flash, the veggie café that had been recommended was long-since closed, the pubs were full.  Then the rain started, and the sight of lightning to the north.  If we're lucky, the storm's north of Preston, and we'll get away with just rain.  If we're not...

My text message alert went off (a Dalek, saying "bollocks" from an old BBC Christmas tape).  I ignored it and we carried on a bit further, until we all needed to add an extra layer.  My jacket kept the wind out, even if the water was getting in.  Whilst halted, I checked the message.  It was from Nick: "I can see fork lightning south of Preston.  Loud thunder too."  OH SHIT.  We were clearly in for a ducking.

At Eccleston we paused at the junction in what was now serious, driving rain.  We took the decision to cut out from the winding scenic roads and head for the straighter B- and A-roads, betting that traffic would be light, and we could make better time.  Andy fed us all chocolate, we consulted maps, and I asked him to ride up front with the Garmin on moving map, so we didn't go wrong.
"This is getting hostile" said Charlotte.
"Not yet," I replied - I remembered the rainstorm I'd had riding to Preston on the way to Cyclefest in 2002, and so far this wasn't anything like that had been. 

We went wrong.  You could tell by the fact that the wind was now a headwind and then suddenly the rain doubled in intensity.  "Ok, that's hostile."  Good job Andy could still see his GPS, he spotted the error within a few hundred metres and we re-oriented and headed off.  We took the straightest route we could towards Leyland and skirted it on the B5253, joining Penwortham way (A582).  During the day these roads are racetracks, and at night in the rain they were not much better, but the cars were much fewer.  As we reached the long slip that joins the A582 to the A59, my left knee was finally starting to ache.  We crossed the river - I actually had to double-check that with Andy to make sure - peeled off left into Channel Way, which takes you onto the marina, and pulled up to take stock.  We were all cold, wet, tired and bloody hungry, and it was well past 2200.  There was some discussion about how far the campsite was, and Charlotte wondered if it was possible to find a travelodge or something similar.  Andy said "there must be an App for that."  I fished out my ageing, flaky Nokia and started the maps programme, typing Travelodge into the search bar.  I got a dozen hits, the nearest was 2.5km away on the A59.  Charlotte and Kim sensibly took the view that enough was enough and went to find a warm dry haven. 

Andy and I carried on round the marina complex into the shopping bit.  KFC was shut.  Further down the golden arches shone, and we succumbed to the lure of dirty burgers and fries and coffee, bringing true our earlier predictions.  Eating and chatting, I actually used the words "I'm not really a long-distance rider" to which Andy raised an eyebrow, and said "Are you sure?"  Well, maybe I am then.

Fed and watered, we left the marina and went back to the journey.  I still managed to get it wrong - the route I'd picked made no account of trying to ride in the dark, and the lanes by the canal were cart-track standard with no lighting.  We bailed at the thought of trying to cross by the locks in blackout conditions, and hoofed it into the estate to the north, riding round and up to the roundabout on the B5411, finally taking the right road down Hoyle's Lane to Sidgreaves Lane.  I sent a text message to Nick: "Put the kettle on, nearly there," and we rolled into the camp site at around 1145.  I introduced Andy and Nick, we had a brew, I had a dose of Naproxen to shut my knee up, and Andy pitched his tent. 

By the time I was tucked up in my sleeping bag, it was gone 0100, I'd ridden 79.5 miles, and been up since 0540.  Epic day.  Thanks to Andy, Charlotte and Kim for keeping me vaguely sane, and especially to Nick for providing a welcoming brew at the end of it.  Andy turned Sunday into his rest day, so after breakfast and a bit of shopping for his supplies, we made our way off and left him to rest up and try to dry off the remainder of his kit. 
L
Windcheetah No. 176

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
The question is, will you come out to play on any more Silly_Bike_Adventures?  Because with ride reports like that, I really rather think you ought to.  You've got an audience here now, I reckon :)

Hope everyone is feeling somewhat recovered.  And yay!!!  Kim did an epically silly bike adventure again, and appears to still have 2 knees and everything.  Tan Hill's nowt to that.  Is it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »
And yay!!!  Kim did an epically silly bike adventure again, and appears to still have 2 knees and everything.  Tan Hill's nowt to that.  Is it?

The state of my knees is currently indeterminate.  I really could have done with some anti-inflammatories on Saturday night but I'd given my supply of Diclofenac to Andy, whose need was far greater than my own.  They do at least pass the stairs test.

Tan Hill won't involve camping gear, or - I hope - apocalyptic weather.  Should be a relative doddle :)

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:44:20 pm »
Sunspots over Preston, that's what caused the bad weather !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
Aye, cracking reports.  Redshift, I remember reading the reports of your Coast-to-Coast a couple of years ago, and staring out of the windows at work, and sighing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:51:55 pm »
That really was epic stuff. Knocks our recent Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan jaunt into the "doddle" category.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.