Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 256061 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1675 on: 25 September, 2023, 08:03:46 pm »
I have some pulmonaria I planted in the spring, and there's a sarcococa confusa (hedge) out front that I planted just under 2 years ago (it's still miniscule!).

I've just done an order of neonicotinoid free bulbs from Peter Nyssen:
Allium Sphaerocephalon (Drumsticks)   
Allium Nectaroscordum Siculum   
Crocus Tommasinianus   
Iris Reticulata Pixie
Chionodoxa Forbesii   
Eranthis Cilicia (Winter Aconites)   
Muscari Armeniacum   
Anemone Blanda Mixture   

Got a feeling I might end up panicking about where to put them all  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1676 on: 26 September, 2023, 11:08:33 am »
The Thomasinias will migrate to where they like it. We had several come up in the lawn (FCVO lawn) this year.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1677 on: 26 September, 2023, 03:54:42 pm »

Thank you for saying that. I wondered what neonicotinoid free bulbs were, so googled. I had no idea about pesticides in cheap bulbs. Will be more thoughtful from now on.

« Reply #1678 on: 30 September, 2023, 04:01:17 pm »
The tomatoes are all removed. We have a large supply of green ones, which will be cooked up tomorrow to go into the freezer.
I've made a start on weeding the main flower border in preparation for the winter tidy-up.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1679 on: 10 October, 2023, 09:56:51 pm »
My bulbs (see above) arrived today. Hopefully the mice won't eat them all before I get the chance to install them.

« Reply #1680 on: 11 October, 2023, 07:49:31 pm »
Last Saturday was the front. Removed the bloody perennial sweet peas, pruned the bay bush, trimmed the euonymous and cotoneaster hedge under the window, cut down one clematis and trimmed the one that runs between bottom and top windows. Then removed another clematis in the back garden. That was 7 log sacks worth to the tip. That just leaves 6 or 7 more clematis in the back, plus all the foliage from irises, phlox, lilies and rambling and climbing roses!

« Reply #1681 on: 11 October, 2023, 08:26:31 pm »

Thank you for saying that. I wondered what neonicotinoid free bulbs were, so googled. I had no idea about pesticides in cheap bulbs. Will be more thoughtful from now on.

I don't know how much truth is in this or if it applies to bulbs but remember talking to an farmer about 10 years ago I'd guess who said made no sense seeds with neonicatonoid on where banned despite these going in the soil so not a risk to bees where as he could spray the crops with insecticide which contained neonicatonoid so was harmful

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1682 on: 11 October, 2023, 08:51:05 pm »
Is the point not that neonics are systemic and therefore if the bulb is soaked in it then the stuff that grows above ground and therefore the flowers will also contain the pesticide, otherwise there would be no point in soaking the bulb or seed.
https://www.xerces.org/publications/periodicalsarticles/neonicotinoids-in-your-garden#:~:text=Used%20to%20protect%20against%20sap,are%20harmed%20by%20the%20residues.
https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/our-views/neonicotinoids#:~:text=The%20toxin%20remains%20active%20in,bumble%20bees%20to%20lay%20eggs.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1683 on: 11 October, 2023, 09:02:16 pm »
Cleared, lightly dug and raked 2 of my 8 deep veg beds before broadcasting green manure mix. The aim is to give some protection from winter rains and dig the 'crop' in well before seed sowing next spring. Need to buy more seed tomorrow and cover as many of my beds as possible before winter sets in.

« Reply #1684 on: 11 October, 2023, 10:01:34 pm »
Bit of general tidying up and removing old crops before covering the beans and courgettes with fleece in the hope of keeping them alive a few more days despite the impending frosts.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1685 on: 12 October, 2023, 05:44:43 pm »
My courgette fruits seem to have stopped getting any bigger, so I think it's too late for me to bother trying that.

« Reply #1686 on: 12 October, 2023, 06:27:18 pm »
After letting my small lawn grow, I strimmed it, followed by going over it with the rotary mower.
Have noticed squirrels on the lawn digging holes, so the netting will be used to cover it.

« Reply #1687 on: 12 October, 2023, 07:52:07 pm »
My courgette fruits seem to have stopped getting any bigger, so I think it's too late for me to bother trying that.
The courgette plants I'm trying to keep going with fleece are in a polytunnel!
The ones in an outdoor bed went on the compost heap a couple of days ago.
We had just below zero for most of last night, hopefully not as cold tonight.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1688 on: 14 October, 2023, 03:51:51 pm »
I planted 230 229 (1 was mouldy) bulbs today. I hope they're more successful than my last attempt at bulbs.
Not only that, but I actually made a note of where I've planted everything  :smug: , cos I won't remember by spring! 

Was a bit annoyed to find that instead of the Sicilian honey garlic I'd ordered, I got narcissus.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1689 on: 14 October, 2023, 07:17:15 pm »
On the bulbs front, I have a question. There's loads of places I didn't plant bulbs today cos they were full of perennials, but come spring those areas will probably be empty as they'll not be growing yet. Does the panel advocate waiting until the perennials have died back/been tidied up and then putting bulbs in betwixt, or is that a bad idea?

« Reply #1690 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:12:43 pm »
Planted a tub of bulbs: tulips in the middle and crocuses round the edge.

« Reply #1691 on: 16 October, 2023, 06:16:21 pm »
On the bulbs front, I have a question. There's loads of places I didn't plant bulbs today cos they were full of perennials, but come spring those areas will probably be empty as they'll not be growing yet. Does the panel advocate waiting until the perennials have died back/been tidied up and then putting bulbs in betwixt, or is that a bad idea?
Depends on the bulbs. Tulips, no problem. Crocus, I'd get in as soon as you can. You should be able to work between the perennials (which would also mean you knew where they were so didn't dig them up when you were planting the bulbs).

« Reply #1692 on: 21 October, 2023, 05:56:50 pm »
Six varieties of sweet peas sown into root trainers and placed in the greenhouse.
Next summer starts here.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1693 on: 21 October, 2023, 06:15:01 pm »
Six varieties of sweet peas sown into root trainers and placed in the greenhouse.
Next summer starts here.
Blimey.  I don't sow sweet peas until February.
We don't have a greenhouse, so that's almost all the window sills occupied for a couple of months.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1694 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:25:38 pm »
I've tried both now and February, with mixed results in both cases. I do have a greenhouse and a couple of cold frames which does help.

« Reply #1695 on: 21 October, 2023, 08:37:42 pm »
My wife’s sweet peas have already germinated. We too have an unheated greenhouse.

« Reply #1696 on: 22 October, 2023, 02:50:33 pm »
In no particular order, trimmed down then dug out about 7 or 8 roots of Lemon Balm, that self set and went mad this year, to the point it was a metre tall and swamping everything else. Cut down the foliage on the biggest of the Peonies, and did the same on the large Iris. Chopped off some of the perennial geraniums. Took down 3 clematis. Cut down all the Phlox, which were disappointing this year. Pulled out a dead Sage. Pulled out a load of Bloody Vinka, courtesy of the laissez faire neighbours. And swore at the bloody ornamental grasses that are seeding from next door. It’s a cottage garden, not a bloody prairie!   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1697 on: 22 October, 2023, 03:49:28 pm »
We have uprooted two of the triffids Jerusalem artichokes which were blown over by recent winds and blocking our access to the back garden. Jan has been gathering the tubers for consumption later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1698 on: 22 October, 2023, 05:21:02 pm »
Sowed a whole load more hardy annuals for next year. Like the sweet peas, these will live in the greenhouse or cold frames until the spring.
It's probably a little late to be doing this, but the seeds only arrived this week. The previous batch was probably recycled with the waste paper. We really shouldn't put the stuff-to-go-to-the-garage in the same place as the stuff-to-go-to-the-recyling-bins, but the kitchen is a little short of room.  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1699 on: 31 October, 2023, 10:25:52 pm »
I planted 230 229 (1 was mouldy) bulbs today. I hope they're more successful than my last attempt at bulbs.
Not only that, but I actually made a note of where I've planted everything  :smug: , cos I won't remember by spring! 

Was a bit annoyed to find that instead of the Sicilian honey garlic I'd ordered, I got narcissus.

I emailed Peter Nyssen about the missing honey garlic and they were very apologetic and said they'd send them out. Today I opened the box to find that the 10 I'd ordered had become 50!
So I planted 28 (2 were mouldy) and I'll either offer the rest out at work or plant them in the 'community garden' at work, if I can get the weather to coincide with my days in the office and remember to take the drill and my bulb auger.