Author Topic: Some bird observations  (Read 917 times)

Some bird observations
« on: 16 July, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »
The other evening in the garden we saw a stag beetle (female) flying around being mobbed by sparrows.  This went on for some minutes before one sparrow succeeded in getting hold of it and flying off.  At least that's what we think happened, it was a bit quick, as we didn't see it again.  But there is a possibility that it landed in a nearby tree branch.  A big thing for a small bird!

Over the last few weeks, walking out at lunchtimes, I have been buzzed by a black backed gull protecting its nest, I assume.  This week it has just been sitting there on the corner of the building.  Today as I approached it flew off calling and then in the near distance I saw it mobbing a buzzard.  This continued until they were out of sight, then the gull returned and was wheeling overhead calling.  The amazing thing was that the buzz was a good distance off when I noticed it so the gull must have seen it from over half a mile away.

Also saw two squabbling sparrows come to a flat end under a big jeepy 4x4 thing in the station car park yesterday.  Sad.