Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 957597 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9450 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:43:43 pm »
Just watched the trailer. Now it's on the list.
It's pants, don't bother.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9451 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:46:02 pm »
I watched it. Cannot remember anything about it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9452 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:12:13 pm »
Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan, on TV last night.

Classic Shatner! Apparently any odd numbered Star Trek film is crap, but I can't vouch for that. Number 2 ticked the boxes.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9453 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:15:38 pm »
Got excited for a while, thought it was The Forever War...

Which involves sort of time travel and a war with an insectoid race iircc. May have started off as that but they couldn't get the rights, whatev...

ian

« Reply #9454 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:42:06 pm »
I'm looking forward to the The Tomorrow War – saw it advertised last night but it was too close to my bedtime to squeeze it in. I sort of hope it's awful but in a good way.

Ended up watching something called Coherence which, if you put aside the dodgy quantum physics*, was quite well and cleverly done.

*no one gets that Shrödinger's Cat isn't about the bloody cat being alive or dead, it's about the fact you can't say if the radioactive atom has decayed or not without looking.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9455 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:42:17 am »
*no one gets that Shrödinger's Cat isn't about the bloody cat being alive or dead, it's about the fact you can't say if the radioactive atom has decayed or not without looking.

Like the state of Schrödinger's shorts at the end of PBP, although that's more to do with the phases of matter than quantum physics.

Can't remember where I originally saw Coherence, but I liked it to the extent of buying the DVD. A bit hokey at the start but fun afterwards.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9456 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:23:34 am »
Last night, I was browsing the offerings on the box and under “feel-good films” they had Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, so I watched that. Still makes me laugh. A lot.

Followed this up by watching Bill & Ted Face The Music yesterday.

Christ, it's bad. Really bad. Even worse than I feared it would be.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9457 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »
Can't remember whether it's been mentioned, and I'm not checking 190 pages, but we saw Yesterday on TV (yesterday!) It's about a failing singer who is in a cycle accident (see the connection there?  :) ) and wakes up in a world where the Beatles never existed. So he "writes" all their songs and becomes famous.

Good, light-hearted fun.

ian

« Reply #9458 on: 05 July, 2021, 06:45:12 pm »
"The Tomorrow War"

This is a great example of what happens when you let lead actors also be executive producers...and it's not good.
I thought it was bad until the 3rd act....where it just became hilarious. Sorta a mix up of Alien, Predator, The Hobbit and Michael Bay, all fit into telling what most would spend a whole movie on, in about 25 minutes. (And it still feels long).

I quite enjoyed it in the end. The plot made negative sense since the first half of the movie was spent getting something they didn't evidently didn't need and trying to do something that didn't need to be done. And army recruitment goes downhill in the future. I'm to this day never sure why they're willing to spend hundreds of millions on a movie but get the janitor to write the story on his break.

Blowing up aliens is always fun though, especially with the magic guns that don't run out of bullets.

In other news, I enjoyed Bill & Ted Face The Music and I don't care who knows it. Admittedly, that and Tenet are the only movies I'd seen in the last umpteen months.

« Reply #9459 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:35:51 pm »
Sink The Bismark (1960) Easy Sunday afternoon lolling on the sofa, scrolling through the myriad of anything to watch and so I watched the above end to end.  Was fascinated by the clipped  RP accents. The past truly is another country. I was born in 1961 and do remember very posh teachers and clergy rolling their research. The stereotypical German Commander of the fleet. First film I've bothered to  watch in years.

« Reply #9460 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:37:25 pm »
Oops, their r's.  Bloody predictve text

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9461 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:35:29 pm »
The 39 Steps.

The second one. It was enjoyable fun.

A rollicking rampage through hay fields and sensibilities. With Sid James.

The best bit was on the Forth Bridge, where I could say “That all looks so familiar, I’ve walked across there!”

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9462 on: 06 July, 2021, 10:33:09 am »
Rewatched over two days: Jumanji and the much more recent sequel, both very clever and quite funny.  For sheer craziness the first one is the better, but the second does pretty well.  Hope Netflux will get the second sequel soon.

ian

« Reply #9463 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:12:14 pm »
I'm braving the local cinema next week to see Black Widow, which apparently isn't a documentary about spiders.

« Reply #9464 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:09:17 pm »
It’s about a Scottish insurance company?

I have been watching The Bourne Legacy(2012). It’s been upstaged by real life.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9465 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:49:42 pm »
The 39 Steps

The one with that bloke from Spooks in it.

A rollicking rampage with quite poor CGI and no Forth Bridge.

« Reply #9466 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:27:35 am »
Gone Baby Gone with Casey Affleck and Morgan Freeman among the usual stable of Netflix actors.
Good story and nicely filmed. I'm not keen on moral dilemmas worked out at the ends of films - I'd prefer a shoot out - but a good film.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9467 on: 10 July, 2021, 08:21:25 am »
Paul, for probably the 10th time.

« Reply #9468 on: 12 July, 2021, 03:50:10 am »
Monster Hunters. A movie by Paul W.S. Anderson featuring....wait for it....I mean, seriously, you wont be able to guess....alright then! Milla Jovovich!
(And Tony Jaa!) Quite silly, but well executed and I enjoyed it.

« Reply #9469 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:20:17 am »
Gregory's Girl on iPlayer.  I'd not seen it before - brilliantly encapsulates the awkwardness of teenagerhood.

ian

« Reply #9470 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:48:59 am »
Black Widow. I enjoyed it, started with some Bournesque turns and a good old-fashioned car chase. The third act was the usual Marvel bombast and could have been a rehash of the last time something big fell out of the sky, but it was well choreographed and breathtakingly done.

Excellent casting choices, the sister is good, we need more sarcastic superheroes. It was also a nice flip, and long overdue in 2021, to see a superhero movie with a token male character and he was amusingly not so super.

The only downside was that the big bad wasn't very big or bad, though I suppose after Thanos, ordinary villains are going to struggle.

« Reply #9471 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:16:19 am »
Mad Max. I’d forgotten just how amateur it is.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #9472 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:28:13 am »
They just used a handycam on the streets of the London Borough of Croydon. Not many people know it's a documentary.

« Reply #9473 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:31:40 am »
Not Earl's Court, then?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9474 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:42:12 am »
Mad Max. I’d forgotten just how amateur it is.

The original? I wouldn't call it amateur. Low-budget, yes.

Last time I watched it, I remember thinking how well it had stood the test of time. Shame it had all got so very, very silly by Beyond Thunderdome.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."