Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Racing / Re: Bye Lance
« Last post by Exit Stage Left on Today at 01:31:50 pm »
Lance won the Tour Dupont two years running, and that race was originally called the Tour de Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_DuPont#Origins_as_the_Tour_de_Trump
The Pub / Re: BBC News Quiz of the week
« Last post by Basil on Today at 01:30:33 pm »
1 out of 7.  :-[
The only one I got right was the last one, which was a guess.  Strangely, I was almost disappointed to get that one.
Racing / Re: Bye Lance
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 01:23:28 pm »
Has the occupant of the Awful Office tweeted on the subject yet?  Or pardoned him?
Parts and Accessories / Re: Front light that uses 2 x AAA
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 01:14:21 pm »
'ere you go https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL135/

and it runs forever on Lithium

I have one of these. It's perfect for summer use when you're not actually riding in pitch darkness. However, it's AA, not AAA (or is that what the OP wanted?).
Audax / Re: Validation outside time limits wasRe: The Dean
« Last post by Manotea on Today at 01:11:46 pm »
I can say from a reasonable degree of experience that the riding on this day was comparable to the effort of riding a typical 400k such as the Severn Across.

And I can say from a reasonable degree of experience that it was nothing close. This years Dean was way harder than a typical Severn Across.

Point is the comparison is meaningless. All rides are different. All riders are different. All riders on different days are different. All you can do is ride the route on the day and see what happens.

I find it rather sad that the sense of achievement of completing a ride under extreme conditions and the heartfelt congratulations offered by others are worth nothing.

>>  I don't have an issue with you not wanting to recognise the ride as meritorious but this stuff is a bit patronising

This stuff is just plain bollux. 

I've reported the thread to the Mods. This conversation has had its day.
Audax / Re: Oasts and Coasts 300Km
« Last post by Chris F.cc on Today at 01:07:12 pm »
A little cooler around the coasts according to http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/85b2266d-1454-4771-b951-3ec386c4c42d
Plus some welcome easterly aircon.
Lovely. 8)

I really hope Huddersfield can stay up this time. They're still hovering near the relegation zone so a couple more wins should steer them clear. My mum and brother have season tickets and they have been to pretty much every home game this season and loved it.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 12:43:07 pm »
Rode the fixed into town for a haircut yesterday. Was pondering as I rode that it really shouldn't be that noisy, so when I got home, I measured the chainline. Seems it's about 2mm out. Hmmmm.

On further investigation, it looks like the problem is possibly that I just didn't put the cranks on tight enough, so there's an extra few mm on the BB spindle. The LH crank was also a few mm further outboard than the RH crank. No wonder I had knee trouble after that 200 I did on the bike last year!

Stripped it all down, removed the BB and cleaned it up, reinstalled it and made sure I put the cranks back on proper bastard tight. Chainline seems to be spot on now. Took it for a test ride and it's much, much quieter. Although the cartridge bearings in the rear wheel feel a bit rough, so I think I will replace those too.
Audax / Re: Heart of England 300, Sat 21st April
« Last post by NeilP on Today at 12:41:41 pm »
there is the Compton Abdale 'Alp' to climb after you leave the village

One before and one after the village... in fact I seem to recall the one before is longer... but maybe memory is tricking me

When I ride to work I go through Compton Abdale and there's only 1 way out which doesn't involve a steep climb. They're all equally grovel territory.

So which climb out of Compton Abdale to you classify as 'not steep'? I've certainly never found one.

The road towards Withington. OK there is a climb a mile or so down the road but that's not technically taking you out of Abdale.
Audax / Re: Validation outside time limits wasRe: The Dean
« Last post by whosatthewheel on Today at 12:36:42 pm »
So, a grand total of five weeks after considering whether or not cold weather justifies time extensions, will we be considering this weekend whether hot weather justifies likewise?  ;)

Funny enough I know quite a few people who have no problem with sub zero rides, but are scared to death of anything above 19 degrees... they come up with pre-ride doomsday scenarios where they are incapable of rehydrating at the pace required to match their substantial transpiration in such extreme heat...
Typically they show up on the day with nothing more than a transparent short sleeve jersey with full zip, focussing entirely on the small window in the early afternoon where the temperature is forecasted to reach its apex and ignoring the reality of a misty 8 degrees at the depart...

There are then those (of which I also know a few) who obsess with the forecast for days and up to 5 minutes before leaving home and when they are finally certain that it will indeed rain... they then decide to leave the waterproof at home...

You're a weird bunch you Brits...  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10