Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 138605 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #825 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:02:17 am »
I'm considering the options for re-scheduling to the following Saturday, 9th December and still running it tomorrow for those (at their own risk) with Marathon Winter tyres ... I've been in touch with the relevant AUK events team.

(The long-range forecast for a week's time says 8ºC and wet ...)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #826 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:07:23 am »
The long range forecast also says the trains will be running from London that day

« Reply #827 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:46:19 am »
I'm considering the options for re-scheduling to the following Saturday, 9th December and still running it tomorrow for those (at their own risk) with Marathon Winter tyres ... I've been in touch with the relevant AUK events team.

I’m happy to stamp cards at Thremhall next week as well as tomorrow  :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #828 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:49:02 am »
I hadn't entered as I'm off to Adamski's 250th Parkrun celebration tomorrow.

I'm free next Saturday, though, so could ride.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #829 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:03:36 am »
I'm press-ganged to my nephew's wedding that day, in London

Wonder whether the logistics would work?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #830 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:47:07 am »
Tyres should be here by 1:30pm.  That’ll give me a chance to fit them and go for a spin this afternoon. I know a suitable lane…

« Reply #831 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:47:12 am »

I’m happy to stamp cards at Thremhall next week as well as tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Same here. Happy to do both Saturdays.
Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #832 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:52:42 pm »
The email has gone out to riders: cloned event on Saturday 9th December. I'll be at the Battesford Court for about 08:00 tomorrow, but I'm not expecting many to ride. I'll still be riding down to Maldon after the start.

Helpers - thank you for your kind offers to help both days, much appreciated.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #833 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:00:12 pm »
Thanks Tom and Tom's helpers, for offering the cloned event,  I'll definitely defer to the 9th.   

« Reply #834 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:05:12 pm »
Thanks Tomsk. I'm going to defer until the 9th. Look forward to seeing everybody then.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #835 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:17:28 pm »
Cheers, Tom. The 9th it is then!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ElyDave

« Reply #836 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:43:34 pm »
Enjoy it on the 9th, I shall be there in spirit.

« Reply #837 on: 01 December, 2023, 04:49:14 pm »
Tyres fitted and just back from a test run of 1 hour 20 in the back lanes. Found some ice and white frosted roads and all good. No rubbing of mudguards which is always the worry when fitting chunkier tyres, Clearly some loss of speed compared to usual tyres, but not as bad as I feared. 

See you tomorrow. It will be a case of steady as she goes,

« Reply #838 on: 01 December, 2023, 04:58:45 pm »
Thanks Tom, I'll defer to next week as well, not risking it with Ice.

It is Mrs Tippers birthday on the 9th but luckily she will be in New York so I have been released!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #839 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:28:40 pm »
I don’t think I will risk it tomorrow. I Will see what the local roads are like.

Put me down for 9th.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #840 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:47:20 pm »
Hmmmm.  I don’t think I can do the 9th without some serious grovelling but looking at the weather forecast I don’t think I should sensibly do tomorrow either.  A dilemma to sleep on.

Edit - the lure of extra hour in a warm bed won hands down after it got foggy as well.   I will start being extra nice to the family and hopefully see you next week.

« Reply #841 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:33:51 pm »
Thanks Tomsk and helpers. See you on the 9th

« Reply #842 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:47:35 pm »
Unfortunately I'm not going to ride tomorrow and I can't do next week. Sorry to Tomsk, who I know will have put a lot of work into this.

« Reply #843 on: 02 December, 2023, 07:40:23 am »
I wasn't able to make today anyway, so a re-run on Sat 9 Dec would be terrific for me personally! Am I okay to join in the fun?
I can't see Sat 9 Dec on the AUK website, and it's now too late to enter today's event online - any guidance? Would be ECEing as usual. My December audax is the last before I can send off for my RRTY x5 badge.  ;D
I hope those who do go out today have fun! Me and some buddies are doing some guerilla gardening on a local path this morning (the cycle path between Whittlesford and Sawston, known as the Spicers path because the stationery factory used to be nextdoor), and then it's Christmas dinner with my work colleagues this evening.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #844 on: 02 December, 2023, 09:01:18 am »
I can't see Sat 9 Dec on the AUK website, and it's now too late to enter today's event online - any guidance?
Date changed to the 9th to enable new online entries
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #845 on: 02 December, 2023, 03:31:05 pm »
I can't see Sat 9 Dec on the AUK website, and it's now too late to enter today's event online - any guidance?
Date changed to the 9th to enable new online entries

Duly entered, thanks Mr H.  :thumbsup:  see you all next week!

« Reply #846 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:03:10 pm »
Tom offered a 9:30am start and I took it. 

Set off with Adrian Boswood , on the icy sections I took the lead then he leap frogged on the dry bits.  He was on fixed, I on my usual recumbent.  Once past the initial icy lanes and on to gritted for a while, Adrian pulled away.

I was enjoying riding in the freezing fog, all sounds muffled.  I needed frequent wiping of my glasses to stop them icing up. 

After a while I remembered there was an early control and stopped check where it was.  Ah Great Leigh, about 3km up the road. Whilst stopped Aron passed. I soon caught him up and we rode together a while. He exclaimed that his feet were cold and he needed to push on to warm them up. I was once more alone in the fog.

The roads varied between dry and frosty, wet and icy, and wet and gritted. On my winter tyres I just pedalled on at a steady effort and wasn’t troubled by any of the surfaces. Clearly slower than usual, but most importantly staying upright whilst laid back.

Matching Tye was the second control and I guessed I was there when some houses appeared out the fog. E-Brevet done it was time to get to the half way cafe control at Thremhall for some hot food and drink to warm myself for the second leg. On a sharp right in a dip there was flooding but nothing too deep.

On the way to Takeley it lightly snowed and I took a picture of it settling on my beanie. At the cafe were Gavin Clark and Owen (manning) plus Aron the other rider I’d seen.  The cafe was warm.

I wanted something hot, no baked potatoes but they could do me a full English. Full English it was with a hot chocolate. I undid my shoes to allow them to warm, cold foot instead of hot foot. I found out there were five of us on the road with one rider DNF.

After a pleasant 40 mins or so it was time to head out on the second leg back to Witham. The cold hit like a sledgehammer back outside. It really hadn’t warmed up all day. Still freezing fog. But first to Thaxted the fourth control.  The roads along here were drier than earlier though the fog was still about, a bit of a pea souper at Broxted.

A short stop in Thaxted then onwards through Great Bardfield and on to Great Notley.  About 11km from Witham there was flooding and slush about 4 inches deep. Then final leg and a walk along high street to the finish due to a fair and Christmas lights.

A beer (Giddy Goose) and burger chatting with Tomsk at finish then time to head home. The last two riders came in whilst I was there. All riders who finished back before dark.

GPS recorded average temperature of -2C and minimum -3C. Mesh base, winter weight merino, Rab alpha flash jacket, Rab green windproof. Buffalo fibre pile mitts.  Ron Hill winter legs. Beanie for head. I took cap and buff for the promised sun that never came. Above combination kept me comfortable in conditions.

Had a flask of hot chocolate and custard donuts to consume during ride. Water bottles were more like slush puppies and the water ice cold but it didn’t completely freeze up and drinking possible all the way round.

A good day out and enjoyed an event / route that is new to me.

« Reply #847 on: 02 December, 2023, 09:11:56 pm »
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear it went well, but rather think that, for me, I did the right thing in giving this one a miss.

ElyDave

« Reply #848 on: 03 December, 2023, 08:20:23 am »
freezing fog all day here as well, and I decided to go for a turbo trainer session instead, had a nice ride in sunny Rotorua.

Today looking equally grim

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #849 on: 03 December, 2023, 11:47:29 am »
Deferred ECEs from yesterday will be fine for next Saturday  :)