Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Router Probs?
« Last post by Martin109 on Today at 08:44:44 pm »
A helpful guy from PlusNet suspects the NetGear router, as it is almost 8 years old, and has sent a replacement PlusNet one for just the cost of postage.

Meanwhile, I have plugged in the one ethernet cable (this connects to 4 TP-Link units to distribute) into another of the four sockets on the NetGear router, and broadband seems to be working better!  No dropouts since! 

I also noticed via the software accessible via 192.168.0.1 that the router thinks it's 2002! 
The Knowledge / Re: Anyone got a tool for knurling headset cups?
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 08:32:49 pm »
And the top race of a headset has a very easy life compared to the bottom one.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Strictly Come Dancing
« Last post by bobb on Today at 08:27:21 pm »
I get the feeling the Reverend is going to be the comic foil this series. Much as I have a problem with God botherers, he's a lot of fun  :)
The Pub / Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Last post by asterix on Today at 08:23:21 pm »
Facebook can't hide behind algorithms

First, the company admitted a “fail” when its advertising algorithm allowed for the targeting of anti-Semitic users.
Then on Thursday, Mark Zuckerberg said he was handing over details of more than 3,000 advertisements bought by groups with links to the Kremlin, a move made possible by the advertising algorithms that have made Mr Zuckerberg a multi-billionaire...

..Facebook’s wild profits - $3.9bn (£2.9bn) between April and June this year - are due to that automated process. It finds out what users like, it finds advertisers that want to hit those interests, and it marries the two and takes the money. No humans necessary.
But unfortunately, that lack of oversight has left the company open to the kinds of abuse laid bare in ProPublica’s investigation into anti-Semitic targeting...

....His [Zuckerberg's] naivety about the power of his own company sparked an immense backlash - internally as well as externally - and an investigation into the impact of fake news and other abuses was launched.
On Thursday, the 33-year-old found himself conceding that not only was abuse affecting elections, but that he had done little to stop it happening.
"I wish I could tell you we're going to be able to stop all interference,” he said.
"But that wouldn't be realistic. There will always be bad people in the world, and we can't prevent all governments from all interference.”
A huge turnaround on his position just 10 months ago...

.. the political mood in the US taken a sharp turn: Big Tech’s algorithms are out of control.

..“All of these problems are the result of the fact Zuckerberg has created and profited from a system that has grown to encompass the world… and harvest information from more than two billion people."

Oops!
GPS / Re: New GPS
« Last post by dim on Today at 08:23:01 pm »
There are two videos in my earlier post. One from DC, one from BikeRadar.  Those (and DC's text review) are previews of pre-production units. No-one's reviewed it yet as the final version is not on sale. Pretty sure Ben Delaney knew what he was doing there....also pretty sure it'll do the automatic switching between data and map fields when you have a turn, just like every other mapping cycle GPS in the past decade or so. The Karoo also has a full set of physical buttons, unlike the Edge 820/1000/1030s.

As for Garmin I think a lot of people are fed up beta testing products that should have been, er, beta tested…relying on software updates post-purchase to (hopefully) fix issues is not good enough. Additional battery pack for the 1030 is clever enough, yes, neat, tidy, fully waterproofed (hopefully)…but £120!!! If they'd made the unit a fraction taller they could have fitted a bigger battery inside the thing anyway.That Garmin UK are generally helpful and efficient for customer care doesn't excuse manufacturing & design issues.

the problem is that many people don't know how to set up the Edge 1000 correctly .... it took me a while to get it working properly. The initial software had bugs, but you need to keep on checking the Garmin forum and never download a new version of software if your unit is working correctly, or if other's are having problems with the new release ...

The Karoo sounds like a really good package, but I'd still get a Garmin though, as it does what I want it to do (plus a whole lot more) and mine works flawlessy. Battery life is not an issue as I have a large RavPower 26800mAh battery pack.... aswell as a lipstick sized battery pack for day rides

this site helped me alot with setting it up and understanding how it works (read the comments section aswell):
http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-navigation/garmin-edge-1000/
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by Nethypete on Today at 08:21:49 pm »
Stunningly sunny 60k circuit from Nethy Bridge to Lochindorb coming back home via Carrbridge. Quiet roads, great weather and fantastic views of the Cairngorm mountains. Just amazing.  :thumbsup:
« Last post by geraldc on Today at 08:19:52 pm »
As a Radio 4 fan and someone who grew up with 80s music, I'll be supporting Susan Calman and Rev Richard.

The Pub / Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Last post by asterix on Today at 08:17:15 pm »
after my visit to Conceria Fiori, I unlocked my bicycle and peddled about 2km southeast of the old tannery to her old address in central Turin.

:o  ::-)>:( ??? :facepalm: :hand:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170913-how-italian-women-used-words-to-fight-the-nazis
« Last post by CrinklyLion on Today at 08:02:43 pm »
The secret is to watch on iPlayer at least an hour behind so you can skip the annoying fluff and just watch the dances and ppl who don't annoy you too much :)
Audax / Re: Randonneur 10,000 2017 ✔️✔️
« Last post by αdαmsκι on Today at 07:57:16 pm »
I just need to DNS a 400 to complete my DNS SR.

There's still time to enter a perm or DIY :thumbsup:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10