Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2497024 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #8875 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:08:07 am »
WTF is it with cyclists shoving their way past me (and yes, physical contact is made) lately? This one happened while I was stopped behind a flatbed lorry, indicating left, waiting to turn onto Lambeth Bridge, with an absolutely classic little ‘death alley’ up its left side, so I had good reason to be where I was. It’s the way they don’t even acknowledge they’ve touched me. I’m going to get out the screechy voice normally reserved for people who make me go offroad, aren’t I?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8876 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:13:13 am »
Still, that was an enjoyably fast ride. Maxed out at 56.7km/h on the descent into town, which is always fun on a 65" fixed gear.
Is it just me, or is that a quaint mix of units? ;D
Glad you made your train.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8877 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:18:34 am »
Good idea, NSTN.

It's an odd day.  Sunshine but still cold.  Not many cyclists out, but behaving like numpties a lot of them.  I waited behind trucks in narrow lanes about three or four times, and saw cyclists scooting past both sides.  None brushed past me, I'm pleased to say, but it was quite alarming.

I could tell that half term holiday has ended, with chaos in Hackbridge with appalling parking, one car zooming away from a parking space without indicating, pulling out to almost hit a child and parent crossing the road.  Crazy.  I had three doors opened in front of me in the space of two hundred metres.  Fortunately, I was just outside the range of the doors, and was keeping my eyes open and looking all round carefully.  But I couldn't have been any further across because of oncoming traffic barging through gaps that happen to be filled by me and at least one car behind.  Why put yourself into such a jam?

Why push past me in a constriction when you have no more than 50m of road clear before a jam (which I then overtook)?  Just why behave like an idiot on the road?
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #8878 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:49:29 am »
I think they have gritted the cycle paths.  Crunchy. I brought my trailer in full of stuff for taking to the recycling centre at lunchtime. So it wasn't very fast as I was on 67" and the trailer's full.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8879 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:50:26 am »
Is it just me, or is that a quaint mix of units? ;D

No, not just you - I actually felt quite uncomfortable writing it. But I've only ever learnt to understand gear sizes in terms of gear inches. Really need to overcome that (I've learnt to think of distances in km, and my height and weight in cm and kg, so I should be able to manage it).

What's the SI unit for gears?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8880 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:51:55 am »
It'd be metres development.
Getting there...

plum

« Reply #8881 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
WTF is it with cyclists shoving their way past me (and yes, physical contact is made) lately? This one happened while I was stopped behind a flatbed lorry, indicating left, waiting to turn onto Lambeth Bridge, with an absolutely classic little ‘death alley’ up its left side, so I had good reason to be where I was. It’s the way they don’t even acknowledge they’ve touched me. I’m going to get out the screechy voice normally reserved for people who make me go offroad, aren’t I?
Alternatively you could save yourself all that stress and modify your own behaviour. Either leave enough room for them to pass or block the gap completely so that they can't barge through. Same as you would do with a car that's coming too close - leaving just the wrong amount of space at a pinch point will always invite trouble.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8882 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:11:41 am »
It'd be metres development.

OK, rather than continue this tangential discussion, I've started a new thread...

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=56956.0

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8883 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:37:18 am »
Alternatively you could save yourself all that stress and modify your own behaviour. Either leave enough room for them to pass or block the gap completely so that they can't barge through. Same as you would do with a car that's coming too close - leaving just the wrong amount of space at a pinch point will always invite trouble.

Not in this situation, no. The space available was such that I’d get more determined-to-get-to-the-front cyclists filtering past me on at least one side no matter how I positioned myself. I have only so much width, as do the other cyclists. Unless perhaps I take to sitting astride my bike with my arms spread wide.

« Reply #8884 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
That makes me annoyed, NSTN!!! Sorry you have to experience such twunts.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #8885 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:01:19 pm »
It’s irritating rather than upsetting. If I wanted physical contact with my fellow commuters I’d get the tube.

What is really interesting is that it only happens when I’m on the sit up Gazelle bike in my normal clothes. I’m pondering why this is. I’ve commuted for years on either the hybrid or the tourer, dressed a bit more like a ‘proper’ cyclist, and it never once happened then.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8886 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »
It’s irritating rather than upsetting. If I wanted physical contact with my fellow commuters I’d get the tube.

What is really interesting is that it only happens when I’m on the sit up Gazelle bike in my normal clothes. I’m pondering why this is. I’ve commuted for years on either the hybrid or the tourer, dressed a bit more like a ‘proper’ cyclist, and it never once happened then.

My girlfriend and I have often discussed this - when she rides her sit-up-and-beg hybrid in normal clothes she gets it far worse than when she is in (more commonly) cycling gear on her drop-bar bike. 

I almost always commute in normal clothes, so can't comment too much on the difference; but I figure it's something to do with the overly-aggressive commuters thinking they are more important and faster than someone (particularly a lady) on a sit-up-and-beg bike - though I get it occasionally even though I am on a drop-bar fixie. 

It is at it's worst if one stops behind a bus/lorry to avoid going up the side (as per your example) - goes to show the message is not getting through if people are willing to push other cyclists out of the way just to put themselves into such a dangerous position.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8887 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »
It’s irritating rather than upsetting. 

Agree, it's very irritating.  And I suspect that there is a degree of snobbery involved, with some assuming that anyone not decked out in full aero kit is going to be a slow rider.  However, I ride fixie with drops, in cycling gear, but I also find that people seem determined to squeeze their way past me at traffic lights, often to plonk themselves across the white line, in front of the car that I have stopped behind because it's pretty damn obvious that the car is going to be able to move away more quickly than me and I prefer to have a clear road in front rather than an irritated moton behind.  I don't mind so much if people do it and move off briskly but I get extremely p-----d off if they do it and then crawl away from the lights in top gear, blocking everyone behind them.

Even more annoying are jerks like the one at Trafalgar Square this morning who positioned himself in front of me, just to my left, and then proceeded to turn right, across my front wheel, when the lights changed. Grrr.

(Oooh I  do like to have a good grump while eating lunch.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #8888 on: 20 February, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »
I've noticed more barging recently, particularly from motor scooters in the bus lane but also from other cyclists. This has definitely got worse. I have also been politely informed that 'there's a bike lane there babe' by chaps in vans in a helpful rather than aggressive way twice recently, but not once ever before that. Maybe I'm looking less competent and they think I need the information ???

I had my first commuting puncture EVER this morning. A bit of metal had come off one of the spoke holes on my new rear wheel, I think. The annoying thing is that I had been thinking as I came out of the door how nice it was to be wearing my new coat with no chain marks on it :-[. So much for that then :( ;D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8889 on: 20 February, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »
I think I fitted a new wheel without rim tape :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #8890 on: 20 February, 2012, 04:21:10 pm »
Even more annoying are jerks like the one at Trafalgar Square this morning who positioned himself in front of me, just to my left, and then proceeded to turn right, across my front wheel, when the lights changed. Grrr.

Makes me think of this one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQweb3-_D2I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kQweb3-_D2I&rel=1</a>

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #8891 on: 20 February, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »
I think I had my first clipless moment in 18 years today. I mean, I'm sure I had a clipless moment, it was quite obvious as I couldn't un-clip at all and turtled. I can't remember ever having had one before. Fortunately only four people saw me, unfortunately two of them were filming, fortunately their camera wasn't running, unfortunately my two cameras were. I suppose I'll have to post the video later.
I'm putting it down to my cleats working loose as I did lots of walking in them this morning.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ian

« Reply #8892 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »

Agree, it's very irritating.  And I suspect that there is a degree of snobbery involved, with some assuming that anyone not decked out in full aero kit is going to be a slow rider.  However, I ride fixie with drops, in cycling gear, but I also find that people seem determined to squeeze their way past me at traffic lights, often to plonk themselves across the white line, in front of the car that I have stopped behind because it's pretty damn obvious that the car is going to be able to move away more quickly than me and I prefer to have a clear road in front rather than an irritated moton behind.  I don't mind so much if people do it and move off briskly but I get extremely p-----d off if they do it and then crawl away from the lights in top gear, blocking everyone behind them.

Yeah, this happens to me. I hadn't thought about the lack of cycling gear, but yes, it is typically the lycra boys who perform one of the following manoeuvres:

1. The Squeeze Through. They gotta gotta gotta get ahead, even if there is not room to get past without the kind of close physical contact more usually reserved for the bedroom. If I can feel you, you are too close. And typically, I am where I am for very good reason. The large lorry in front, for instance. Clueless dicknorks.

2. The Does My Bum Look Big In This. I'm waiting at the lights. I'm at the head of queue of traffic. Cyclist passes and halts directly in front of me. That may treat me to a view of their wobbling lycra skinned arse as they aim (and miss) to impress with a trackstand (what are you, six years old?) or they'll simply sit there until the lights change. At which point they'll start to faff trying to clip back into their pedals, or work up enough strength to get their fixie/SS with the ludicrous gearing to inch forwards.

3. The Buzz Aldrin. The lights change, you start to move, a phenomenon often accompanied by a slight wobble. They pass at light speed regardless, within a whisker, but hey they're not slowing down. They're on a mission from God. Chances are they'll meet him more quickly than anticipated.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #8893 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:18:41 pm »

Yeah, this happens to me. I hadn't thought about the lack of cycling gear, but yes, it is typically the lycra boys who perform one of the following manoeuvres:

1. The Squeeze Through. They gotta gotta gotta get ahead, even if there is not room to get past without the kind of close physical contact more usually reserved for the bedroom. If I can feel you, you are too close. And typically, I am where I am for very good reason. The large lorry in front, for instance. Clueless dicknorks.

2. The Does My Bum Look Big In This. I'm waiting at the lights. I'm at the head of queue of traffic. Cyclist passes and halts directly in front of me. That may treat me to a view of their wobbling see-through lycra skinned arse as they aim (and miss) to impress with a trackstand (what are you, six years old?) or they'll simply sit there until the lights change. At which point they'll start to faff trying to clip back into their pedals, or work up enough strength to get their fixie/SS with the ludicrous gearing to inch forwards, additionally their adopted gearing will render them slower than a sloth whilst you are silently gesticulating at being sat behind them and powerless to do anything about it.3. The Buzz Aldrin.[/b] The lights change, you start to move, a phenomenon often accompanied by a slight wobble. They pass at light speed regardless, within a whisker, but hey they're not slowing down. They're on a mission from God. Chances are they'll meet him more quickly than anticipated.

I've added some stuff in bold italic, hope you don't mind Ian  :-*

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
On the commute today
« Reply #8894 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »
A couple of blind f**knuggets today, and a t****r in a van in the bus lane who tried to run me off the road.

Question for the forum.
When a nutcase is driving in the bus lane, and is tailgating you, do you;

a. Slow down and wind them up, as they shouldnt be there?

Or

b. Get out of their way, as a psycho could end up killing you?

« Reply #8895 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »
Yesterday Chris S reminded me that battery lights need charging.
I put my lights on to charge.
I rode home like a ninja in a completely black outfit.
It is not yet light enough to ride home without lights.

One of these statements did not happen.
 :facepalm:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #8896 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »
A couple of blind f**knuggets today, and a t****r in a van in the bus lane who tried to run me off the road.

Question for the forum.
When a nutcase is driving in the bus lane, and is tailgating you, do you;

a. Slow down and wind them up, as they shouldnt be there?

Or

b. Get out of their way, as a psycho could end up killing you?

Slow down and wind them up. I do this in Peckham.

« Reply #8897 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
I filmed a cyclist on Sunday by chance. She was great, looked back, signalled, negotiated, and moved across at Vauxhall towards Oval. Submitted to Gaz for the Silly Cyclists series, as the end savvy cyclist. She had a huge smile when I told her how great her signalling was, so confident and in control.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8898 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »
Yup, you've got the racing bike and all the kit, you're thinner than me and probably fitter.

But you couldn't catch a fixie uphill  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8899 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:02:58 am »
I was on the commute today
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJA69C6SlRk