Author Topic: USB Wireless Dongle Things  (Read 1891 times)

USB Wireless Dongle Things
« on: 05 December, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »
We have two computers and a wireless router thing. In the last two weeks two of the USB dongles plugged into the computer have been broken (as in mechanical damage) and the one remaining one needs to be wiggled just so to work.

Is there something better that I could use?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

border-rider

Re: USB Wireless Dongle Things
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:12:36 pm »
Yep.  Get a wireless card.  Won't cost very much more than a dongle and it'll work a lot better

Amazon.co.uk: Netgear WG311 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter 32bit PCI: Electronics & Photo

If it's a desktop, slight bravery is needed to open the case and slot it in, but there's not much more to it.  For a laptop it'd go in the PCMCIA slot on the side.

Amazon.co.uk: Linksys by Cisco WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter: Electronics & Photo

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:13:44 pm »
Thanks. I may have to be back for further advice later.

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2008, 08:41:34 am »
I've bought a couple of network cards, opened up the older computer and installed it in place of the dial up modem card. It is working as it detects several networks, two of which appear to be named after neighbours' cats, but I cannot get it to connect to our wireless router. It says that it has not been allocated an address, or something like that. Is there something really simple that I am missing?

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
Yes there was, I was trusting the BY software to do the job. Once I put Windows in charge it was sorted.

Oh, and while I was there I secured a wire that was touching one of the fan blades. It is much quieter now.