Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2469436 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8450 on: 10 February, 2017, 08:17:30 pm »
It's a nice purposeful bike, but that toptube's a bit ...odd.

My Fuji has a similar weird kink in the toptube, though a bit less pronounced. I've never quite understood why it's there!
Presumably to increase standover while not having too high a head tube.

I wouldn't choose grey if I were picking a colour but I rather like it in a functional battleship way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8451 on: 10 February, 2017, 09:14:22 pm »
Very nice indeed.

Samuel D

« Reply #8452 on: 10 February, 2017, 09:29:18 pm »
Presumably to increase standover while not having too high a head tube.

Now if only they could increase bottom bracket height while reducing pedal clearance. They’d have the Opposite Day market sewn up!

« Reply #8453 on: 10 February, 2017, 10:36:46 pm »
I hope you enjoy it. I like the look and idea but had a ride on one and didn't really get on with it; found it ponderous. I think that was partly down to the tyres and partly to it being borderline too big for me.

I know what you mean. I've never ridden a bike with tyres like that on the road before, and with the high and wide 'bars I think it rides how one of those massive and fast new tractors would drive ! It doesn't have the same sharpness on corners or over bumps as my road bikes, and even my commuter.  It seems fun and comfortable. 

Relayer

« Reply #8454 on: 11 February, 2017, 07:06:19 am »

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8455 on: 11 February, 2017, 07:23:03 am »

« Reply #8456 on: 11 February, 2017, 07:54:35 am »
I hope you enjoy it. I like the look and idea but had a ride on one and didn't really get on with it; found it ponderous. I think that was partly down to the tyres and partly to it being borderline too big for me.

I know what you mean. I've never ridden a bike with tyres like that on the road before, and with the high and wide 'bars I think it rides how one of those massive and fast new tractors would drive ! It doesn't have the same sharpness on corners or over bumps as my road bikes, and even my commuter.  It seems fun and comfortable.

The geometry table is that of a mountain bike, so it sounds like it rides in that manner. How London my is the stem, the top tube/reach seems quite long?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8457 on: 11 February, 2017, 09:10:15 am »
BEST THREAD ON THE FORUM  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Milk please, no sugar.

Samuel D

« Reply #8458 on: 11 February, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
It has the chunky, designey lines of a current-day Jeep. I could get used to those looks in this context. The geometry would not work for me, however. The seat tube angle is nearly 74 degrees in my size or 73 degrees in this 58 cm. What’s the reasoning behind these steep angles?

The head tube angle, in contrast, is very slack at barely 71 degrees. Even with the 55 mm offset that results in high trail, especially with those huge tyres. That’s a long lever for the high rolling resistance to act on. I’ve never ridden something as stable as this on paper.

Does the steering feel unusually floppy at low speeds?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8459 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »
it's a nice bike, suitable for gravel paths, single track and paved roads too. if someone is looking for a zing in a touring bike - they're not designed for that. ride a racing bike instead, with short chainstays and steep head tube.

« Reply #8460 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:26:51 pm »

The geometry table is that of a mountain bike, so it sounds like it rides in that manner. How London my is the stem, the top tube/reach seems quite long?

The stem is 110mm for this size, 58cm, so its fairly long. Its very similar in reach to my road bikes, though the bars are a fair bit higher.  Not ridden it properly yet, only down the road and back a few times, and it does feel mountain-bikey. Thats fine by me.

« Reply #8461 on: 18 February, 2017, 01:18:52 pm »
My new Spa Ti Audax, with lots of bits from the last bike bolted to it.  I'm still tweaking the fit but so far I'm very pleased with it. Comfy and sensible enough for winter but hopefully will look classy with some skin walled tyres in the summer!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8462 on: 18 February, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »
Hey Cupotea, do you ever get down to mid-Essex?

« Reply #8463 on: 18 February, 2017, 05:31:36 pm »

Sorry, I don't. Why?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8464 on: 18 February, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »

Sorry, I don't. Why?

It's always nice to meet new yacfers, that's all!

« Reply #8465 on: 18 February, 2017, 06:28:21 pm »
Ah!  I thought you were more Manchester way for some reason, but yeah it would be nice to meet some people to ride with :)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8466 on: 18 February, 2017, 08:19:22 pm »
He's tolerated up here occasionally . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8467 on: 18 February, 2017, 11:51:30 pm »
Finally got the Genesis Equilibrium built - it's only taken about 6 months!

Genesis Equilibrium by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #8468 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:30:38 am »
My new Spa Ti Audax,

Looks a great audax bike. Swift and comfortable

I like this. Old school 9sp. Square taper chainset to custom suite the gearing.  Shallow drop bars (raised from more extreme sports position, more usable positions). This is what I did with my condor fratello, although Ive got fast wheels on it and can hold my own on the changing nights with the wee gears 46*14.

Did your wife know you brought this into the living room ?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8469 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:33:30 am »
My new Spa Ti Audax,

Looks a great audax bike. Swift and comfortable

I like this. Old school 9sp. Square taper chainset to custom suite the gearing.  Shallow drop bars (raised from more extreme sports position, more usable positions). This is what I did with my condor fratello, although Ive got fast wheels on it and can hold my own on the changing nights with the wee gears 46*14.

Did your wife know you brought this into the living room ?

No, she's in bed - she'll see the facebook pics tomorrow tho'   :-\

(I finished the setup/taping etc.in the kitchen too) ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8470 on: 19 February, 2017, 07:53:40 am »
He's tolerated up here occasionally . . .

;D

Samuel D

« Reply #8471 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:24:44 am »
I approve of windy’s spoke count. But what are the rims?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8472 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
Rigida DP18

dim

« Reply #8473 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:47:13 pm »
just bought a few minutes ago (was newly listed and snapped it up minutes after it was listed) .... hoping to use this on longer audax rides, aswell as a 35km ride every morning before heading off to work (as soon as it gets light enough):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142284017424

Don't know much about it, but it looks in reasonable condition, ticks all the boxes: looks like 531, has a Brooks saddle, is my size, has mudguards and will take a rack, was cheap and seller posts / couriers it ... buyer says 'single speed' in his title, but she got that wrong... plus she says that it's a 19 inch frame .... measurements work out to a 52cm which is my size (20-21 inch)... she also quotes the wheel size as 25 inch  :P

paid £225 (£180 plus £45 shipping)

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8474 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:18:20 pm »
Well worth it!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.