Author Topic: The Rio Olympics.  (Read 42185 times)

Re: The Rio Olympics.
« Reply #225 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:25:29 pm »
Oopsie...  :facepalm:

Olympics officials on Saturday gave what they said was a definitive explanation why the water in two competition pools turned green this week. Someone, the officials said, mistakenly added 160 liters of hydrogen peroxide on Aug. 5, neutralizing the chlorine and allowing the growth of “organic compounds” that might have included algae.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/rio-schedule-michael-phelps-medals.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #226 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »
I'd say that by and large Indians are not interested in sport. They enjoy watching cricket of course and also hockey, and kids play these and also football, but not many adults play any sports. Unless you consider yoga a sport of course but I'm not sure most Indians would. And as pointed out there's a big gender divide. Not that women don't exercise, but their exercise tends to consist of walking round a small park at the speed of a pregnant cow. Actually that's true for men too. The only indigenous Indian sport I'm aware of is kabaddi, a sort of tag (I'm sure there are others though). Beyond gender there's a big caste/class/wealth thing; cricket is a high-caste sport as is hockey, football is low caste. Cycling is high caste, obviously, cos decent bikes are expensive.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #227 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:13:51 pm »
The following are of some interest. I have no idea how genuine they are.

Here are the top nine comments made by sports commentators during the Olympics that they would like to take back:
1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria . I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."
3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."
5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."
6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."
7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."
8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."
9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #228 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:19:40 pm »
It may be just me projecting stereotypes but the Chinese and Russian gymnasts always look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
There seems to be almost no joy about it.

Because their families will be on a one way trip to the gulag if they don't win?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #229 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:08:46 pm »
Cav interrupting Jill 'n Chris just now was pretty amusing. They looked very nervous. He was acting like he was pissed!    I was sure he was going to tell Chris he loved him...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #230 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »
It may be just me projecting stereotypes but the Chinese and Russian gymnasts always look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
There seems to be almost no joy about it.

Because their families will be on a one way trip to the gulag if they don't win?

I feel sorry for the Chinese coaches.... They always look really worried when their star pupils fail. Like they know they and their families will be disappeared when they return.

« Reply #231 on: 15 August, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
Not too bad a TT from Cav, still sitting thrid.

And Laura Trott gets second in the scratch race   :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #232 on: 15 August, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »
A horse dancing Gold. Still 2nd in the table  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #233 on: 15 August, 2016, 08:04:02 pm »
I am surprised and pleased to note that the Whitakers are still making horses jump over pretend fences. My mum used to get manure for her garden from their stables and once she walked across a concrete path there without realising it had only just been laid. She sank into it and they had to pull her out.

My grandad always used to get wound up by John Whitaker's showjumping attire, which he said looked like it had been borrowed from a bigger boy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #234 on: 15 August, 2016, 08:21:36 pm »
Full marks to Andy Murray for correcting John Inverdale.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/john-inverdale-corrected-by-andy-murray-over-tennis-comment_uk_57b19756e4b01f97d8f3003e?

I seem to remember posting something about Inverdale's crass commentary style some months (or possible more) ago, suggesting that he should lose his job because of it. I can't remember the issue now, but he doesn't get any better.

He gives the very strong impression that he believes that women's sport just isn't worth bothering with.

Edit: this was it. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73612.msg1520050#msg1520050

« Reply #235 on: 15 August, 2016, 08:24:22 pm »
Good grief, whatever gear was Cav pushing!  :o. His cadence was visibly lower than Viviani's.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #236 on: 15 August, 2016, 08:34:57 pm »
I'd love to know what Cav was saying to make Laura Trott laugh like that, even though TV's Guy Martin did describe her as "the world's giggliest girl".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #237 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:03:51 pm »
What colour skin suits are the Danes wearing? TV's C Boardman says they're red, but my colour blind eyes say otherwise.  Their bikes and hats are red, but the suits are different.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #238 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:19:07 pm »
They look a slightly washed-out purply-red to my rheumy eyes.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #239 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:19:35 pm »
I actually feel quite sorry for Sharakhova, but well done Laura Trott!
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #240 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »
Isn't she wonderful?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #241 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
Oh blimey Cav, what happened there?   :'(
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #242 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »
Hansen would have walked that if he hadn't buggered up so badly in the elimination race.

The Rio Olympics.
« Reply #243 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:42:21 pm »
Cavendish could have won gold if he hasn't buggered up the Elimination race.

Trott was unbeatable though!!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #244 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:44:05 pm »
In contrast:

L Trott:O hai! I am L Trott and I am made ov teh Win! Take that, FOREIGNS!
FOREIGNS:P155!

« Reply #245 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:51:12 pm »
Really like how Cav still a miserable sod! :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #246 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:57:25 pm »
Wonderful performance by Trott.

I would rather like her to stoke me to Dunwich next year. Could be an easy ride...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #247 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:59:01 pm »
I have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days! The horse-dancing was magical (no, it really was!), and I really enjoyed the teamwork between horse and rider. The Omnimiumnims have provided excellent, if more-than-slightly-confusing entertainment; Cav's attempt to assassinate his major competitors was appreciated, though unsuccessful. And Laura Trott? Does she miniaturise that Jason Kenny bloke and add his power to what might be considered reasonable for an under-developed 12-yo girl? I mean, she is tiny, yet seems to have the power and endurance of teh Flying Scotsman. Just wow. Didn't see the other flying Scotsman do his thing on the tennis court, but I hear it was orsum. I did watch Justin Rose comprehensively demonstrate why golf absolutely deserves its place in the Olympics. Missed the gymnastix too, but I'llget it on catch up. Then there's sailing, and rowing, and boxing, and stuffs of all sorts. It seems we Britons can actually do this sport stuff! Marvellous!

Quite brings a tear to the eye!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #248 on: 16 August, 2016, 12:01:05 am »
The Omnimiumnims...

Weren't they special talking horses?

Also, according to Wiki, Trott is 1.63 metres in height, which is only a couple of inches shorter than Mrs. Wow. 5' 4" or so.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #249 on: 16 August, 2016, 12:06:52 am »
As someone of not enormous stature (in height, at least), I reserve the right to call anyone shorter than me tiny.