Author Topic: Michael Mosley  (Read 4745 times)

Michael Mosley
« on: 09 June, 2024, 05:14:06 pm »
Very sad.  He had more impact on my general health than any other fitness guru (e.g. Huberman  ::-)).  Got me started on the 5:2 diet many years ago and that has stabilised my weight year-round.  Plus many of the the other "one things".  Seemed like a genuinely nice chap too.

Motto - always take your mobile with you.  Would it have helped in this case?  Who knows - but it might have.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Michael Mosley
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2024, 05:31:06 pm »
It is sad, but shit happens to everyone including celebs and its a reminder that life is fragile. I'm curious to know caused his demise. Condolences to his family.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2024, 05:52:21 pm »
The suggestions seem to centre around heat stroke or heat exhaustion. But I suspect we’ll find out in time.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2024, 05:57:58 pm »
Or a slip/fall.

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2024, 09:05:30 pm »
What a terrible tragedy for the family - condolences to them.
It must be agonizing for them to think he was so near to taking temporary refuge in that nearby bar by the beach where he was found - which kind of suggests he made pretty good progress on that walk, despite the intense heat, and was so close to being ok. Who knows what happened.
I liked him a lot, and he came across as a genuine broadcaster - unlike some.
RIP

Garry Broad

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2024, 09:09:36 pm »
One of those very likeable personalities that I'm sure would have been a great dinner companion
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2024, 09:26:36 pm »
I've seen reports of 2 elderly tourists dying on Crete during the last week.  Both out hiking.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2024, 10:06:11 pm »
yes,^^ it's  common. Apparently the search dogs could only work for an hour..

« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2024, 08:21:29 am »
The suggestions seem to centre around heat stroke or heat exhaustion. But I suspect we’ll find out in time.

40C heat is killing heat, without shade.

Nearly all people from temperate climates massively underestimate how dangerous it is. Would you, growing up in the UK, go for a multi-mile trek across rough ground, in 'normal' clothes, in -15C weather?

For such a walk in Australia in similar heat, I'd expect to need to be suitably clothed (which would include a very wide brimmed hat or sunbrella), lathered in sunblock, possibly long-sleeved light clothing, and carry about 3l of water plus food.  OR more likely, I wouldn't set off on a walk in 40C heat at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2024, 09:58:55 am »
What surprised me walking in Italy was how little water people were taking with them - normally 500ml or a litre.  I was taking a 3 litre bladder.  We were only in the mid to high 20s.

OK - there were sometimes cafes or water taps along the way, but not always and often the taps weren't working.  I'd much rather carry the extra weight than risk running out of water.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2024, 10:57:21 am »
What surprised me walking in Italy was how little water people were taking with them - normally 500ml or a litre.  I was taking a 3 litre bladder.  We were only in the mid to high 20s.

OK - there were sometimes cafes or water taps along the way, but not always and often the taps weren't working.  I'd much rather carry the extra weight than risk running out of water.

Maybe a last, helpful message from Dr Mosley would be this; Carrying a lot of water might mean you carry a bit of excess weight. Not carrying enough water might well result in death.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2024, 11:29:05 am »
Sad news.   I've experienced extended 40C heat in valley area below Chamonix - felt like a furnace; really uncomfortable to be out in the direct sun even for a short time.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2024, 12:34:53 pm »

Maybe a last, helpful message from Dr Mosley would be this; Carrying a lot of water might mean you carry a bit of excess weight. Not carrying enough water might well result in death.

I think it is worth stressing that we don't know the cause of death in this case.  I was just commenting on what I had observed, as someone who is used to walking in hot climates.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2024, 04:41:06 pm »
Almost certainly heat exhaustion leading to collapsing or resting.  Then stroke when when he didn’t make it to safety. We were in Cyprus during the heat wave last year. The heat in the terrain would have been unrelenting with no shade or ability to cool yourself other than the water you carry with you.

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:10:37 pm »
Almost certainly heat exhaustion leading to collapsing or resting.  Then stroke when when he didn’t make it to safety. We were in Cyprus during the heat wave last year. The heat in the terrain would have been unrelenting with no shade or ability to cool yourself other than the water you carry with you.

Yes. People think the risk from heat is all about dehydration. Heat stress causes all sorts of other issues, starting with poor mental awareness leading to mistakes. Stress on heart, increased stroke risk.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2024, 07:13:13 pm »
I'm afraid I always found him insufferably chirpy and smug, but it's still a tragic way to go.  RIP
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2024, 12:11:52 pm »
He's been described in the obituaries as a broadcaster but he was also an extraordinarily effective science writer. His books managed to convey complex mechanisms in plain English without dumbing down for a non-scientific readership, with references for further reading.

I 'reviewed' one of his books on this thread.

« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2024, 05:07:54 pm »
Reports on TV news had comments from the family stating that they took comfort from the fact free was so close to his destination.

It also sounds like the police  knew what happened because b it was caught on CCTV from the resort the other side of the fence. However, is speculation respectful?

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2024, 05:22:36 pm »
I'm very sad for his family. What a horrid stressful few days only to be faced with bad news.

I hope he didn't suffer and just had a heart attack or something and died quickly. I doubt it would be that easy, but who knows. Life is fecking cruel, I know that much.
Does not play well with others

« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2024, 11:05:17 am »
A nice tribute to him, fronted by Hannah Fry, on the BBC last evening. I didn’t realise the amount of work he did on Horizon nor the fact that he was producing Tomorrows’s World when they started talking about global warming in 1990.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2024, 11:36:00 am »
Good title for an article in The Irish News ..... 

'Death of Michael Mosley reminds us we will never know the ‘almost’ moments in our own lives.'

Something I have pondering on increasingly of late.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2024, 12:57:38 pm »

'Death of Michael Mosley reminds us we will never know the ‘almost’ moments in our own lives.'

That is a very good point. I've had a few where I've had time to think "This could be it".

What happened to Dr Mosely probably meant he never reached that point of awareness.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2024, 04:05:32 pm »

He must have known how dangerous it was.

Was cycling in the Alpes, 2022. It was a supported ride and I was the oldest by nine years.  On the first day it was Nice to Guillaume and the temperature was pretty warm to start with.  After a few climbs I was back marker and after a somewhat gruelling ride to that point, had eaten my much-needed lunch at the support vehicle.  The main problem was the blazing sun and absence of shade in the sparsely wooded valleys.

After my lunch I was feeling more energised and got over a few more climbs until I reached a place near Entrevaux, I think.  Another climb was about to start and I had spotted a small water cistern being filled by a lovely-looking cool water underneath which I was going to put my head.  Just before I could action my plan the support vehicle appeared and I was asked if I'd like a lift.  I knew it made sense, swallowed my pride and loaded my bike onto the rack, defeated but ready to ride another day. 

As we went on, a call came through that a rider had not appeared at the next refreshment stop when expected, so we kept our eyes on the roadside. It was a while before we spotted the rider in a collapsed state some distance from the roadside, unable to stand and nauseous, he'd already vomited. He had bad cramp and it was necessary to carry him to the van and lay him across the back seat, where he very slowly recovered.  Although he had a phone, he hadn't asked for help and if we hadn't known to look out for him we might driven straight past him lying inconspicuous amongst the rocks.  Others gave up the struggle further on while still ok.

The next day was easier, we started higher up, it was much cooler, and all reached the finish.  Out of 17 only five of us earned the medal for riding the whole of the six day route.     

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 16 June, 2024, 04:42:59 pm »

The CCTV image they shared during the search showed he had an umbrella. So it's probably fair to say he was conscious of the heat.

The reality is that for many of us we're gonna experience more adverse heat events in the coming years and we have to change our behaviour, and learn new behaviours.  As well as make changes to our built environment to make things a bit nicer for people. This means things like actual shade a bus stops. Planting more trees in urban areas etc...

I'm currently in Italy where the sun is out and it's lovely and warm. I'm covered in sun block, and I brought water out with me. But even at these temps my walking route is from shade to shade. Anything else and the solar gain cooks you.

Oh and maybe we should try to do something about the stereotypes...

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 17 June, 2024, 05:24:11 pm »
I guess the brolly kept the sun off him, but I imagine the heat coming off the ground was bloody hot.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.